What's new

A pleasant conundrum...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, after 3 years, I am actually going to take a vacation that does not involve having to deal with the wife's health issues- I am actually going out of town. Granted, it is only for a three day weekend (I am saving vacation time for October, for Ohio, Niagara Falls, and Blue Ridge Parkway), but I am pretty stoked. I am bopping down to Texas Hill Country to a town called Fredericksburg. I have stayed at this place before- 200 acres outside of town, with elk wondering on the property. It was peaceful.

Fredericksburg Motels Texas | Places To Stay In Fredericksburg | Hotels Fredericksburg TX

So, I actually have to plan on what I am taking along. I am probably going to take my bulldog, because if something happens to it I won't cry too hard- picked it up in an antique store (the last time I was in Fredericksburg) for $7. Now I have to pick which tobacco I want to take, and maybe order a pipe pouch. I am leaning toward Penzance, but still need to check out some pouches.

So, do any of you guys have a favorite travel combo?
bulldog.jpg

I tend to bring VAs & VAPers, but knowing your Lat penchant...I don't think you can go wrong with Penzance.

As pouches go, I have this Peterson. I like it because it's small enough to fit in a pocket.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I tend to bring VAs & VAPers, but knowing your Lat penchant...I don't think you can go wrong with Penzance.

As pouches go, I have this Peterson. I like it because it's small enough to fit in a pocket.
I was just checking that very one out at SP. Does it have a sealable liner for the tobacco, or should I plan on using a ziplock?

I was just checking that very one out at SP. Does it have a sealable liner for the tobacco, or should I plan on using a ziplock?
It is lined, but not sealed. Good for a couple days. I don't think I'd leave anything in it longer.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I order that and a chrome pipe rest. I just noticed that they allow for USPS shipping, thankfully. UPS is always slower and more expensive, in my experience. USPS Priority 2 day was only a little over $6.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Morgan pipe has that milled aluminum frisbee looking tobacco holder that has an o-ring to maintain a seal. Supposedly holds an ounce or less. Pricy tho at 89.00 smacks.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Congrats. on the long weekend vacation...I like the hill country. My Tio and Tia lived in Uvalde when I was growing up so been in that area quite a bit. Last family reunion of SWMBO's was at a place not far from where you are going.

If you go through Austin (I hate the two level lanes on 35) stop at Franklin's BBQ and pick up a pound of sliced brisket for me and throw it in the freezer when you get home. I'll be down to your place shortly and pick it up and pay you for it.

Good buy, Owen. I don't know if my Peterson carry pouch is the exact same model, but the dimensions are the same. It holds the pipe, and the side zippered pocket holds some pipe cleaners, a pipe tool, a lighter, and whatever else you can stuff in it. The tobacco pouch is not sealed...I usually put the 'baccy in a ziplock. My carry pouch has the magnetic closures on it. I usually throw mine in the glove box of the car or in the suitcase. I love it...keeps everything together when traveling.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I order that and a chrome pipe rest. I just noticed that they allow for USPS shipping, thankfully. UPS is always slower and more expensive, in my experience. USPS Priority 2 day was only a little over $6.

Oops! Sorry didn't realize you already picked up a pouch. I wouldn't have posted about the Morgan. Serves me right to skim read.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That is very nice. I might get one in a few paychecks- catching some stuff up.
Congrats. on the long weekend vacation...I like the hill country. My Tio and Tia lived in Uvalde when I was growing up so been in that area quite a bit. Last family reunion of SWMBO's was at a place not far from where you are going.

If you go through Austin (I hate the two level lanes on 35) stop at Franklin's BBQ and pick up a pound of sliced brisket for me and throw it in the freezer when you get home. I'll be down to your place shortly and pick it up and pay you for it.

Good buy, Owen. I don't know if my Peterson carry pouch is the exact same model, but the dimensions are the same. It holds the pipe, and the side zippered pocket holds some pipe cleaners, a pipe tool, a lighter, and whatever else you can stuff in it. The tobacco pouch is not sealed...I usually put the 'baccy in a ziplock. My carry pouch has the magnetic closures on it. I usually throw mine in the glove box of the car or in the suitcase. I love it...keeps everything together when traveling.

View attachment 785164

View attachment 785165

View attachment 785166
I always go down 281 to Johnson City, then cut over. I35 is for the birds :)
Oops! Sorry didn't realize you already picked up a pouch. I wouldn't have posted about the Morgan. Serves me right to skim read.
No problem- gives me an idea for later.

If in the Hill Country, a trip to Greune (pronounced like "green" for the uninitiated) is always nice. Good walking and a couple of really decent restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Every time we are in that area we make a trip to Grape Creek Vineyards for their wine tasting.
It's just outside of town heading East and on the South side of the roadway!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If in the Hill Country, a trip to Greune (pronounced like "green" for the uninitiated) is always nice. Good walking and a couple of really decent restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time we are in that area we make a trip to Grape Creek Vineyards for their wine tasting.
It's just outside of town heading East and on the South side of the roadway!
Thanks

Top Bottom