What's new

Paradigm Titanium DE Razor.... $395!!??

It is a really nice looking razor, and made out of Titanium and all but for real? $395?? NOW THAT IS GOING OVER THE LIMIT I THINK! What do you think Gents?

IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG

Well, if someone has the money to burn, and they want to spend their money on something like this, that would be their own business. Me personally??? Um, no.

I don't seem to have too much reservation paying the normal going rate for an all stainless steel razor which seems to be around the $185 mark. Above that mark I start to pull back a bit. Being Titanium I'd expect it to be a little more, but this is well above where I'd prefer to be on it, so I wouldn't shell out that kind of cash to try it. Even if it were getting crazy good reviews at $395 I'd pass.

Just because people are willing to pay crazy high prices for Wolfman razors it doesn't make all of the other new to market razors worth more.

Being a new razor what other companies like Wolfman have done is introduced it at a lower starting price and raised it up a bit once it was in demand. They seem to be doing the reverse in starting it at a crazy high price in order to reduce demand. I bet it will work.

Perceived and relative value is a funny thing.

In researching the Feather AS-D2, I ran across articles/posts decrying the almost 200.00 price tag on the D1/D2 series. No other modern razor had commanded such a price previously. Now that's pretty commonplace.

Now a fresh wave of 300.00-400.00 razors are coming along. Some will buy them, some will like them. Will they actually shave better than a vintage Gillette? I'll probably never find out.

Perceived and relative value is a funny thing.

In researching the Feather AS-D2, I ran across articles/posts decrying the almost 200.00 price tag on the D1/D2 series. No other modern razor had commanded such a price previously. Now that's pretty commonplace.

Now a fresh wave of 300.00-400.00 razors are coming along. Some will buy them, some will like them. Will they actually shave better than a vintage Gillette? I'll probably never find out.

Completely understand. But here is my thing. I work in the aerospace industry where I see, cut and prepare certain exotic metals and high end alloys for that particular industry. Titanium, light weight, excellent anti-corrosion properties and heat capabilities. But for a razor? Down right overkill if you ask me. And for a company to throw out their first razor at this price point with no brand awareness or very minimal at best (Paradigm Shave Ware based out of Long Island, NY) is just shocking to me. I have some high end shave items, and many of us do. But, really? Wolfman razors came out with their works of art with pricing that was at least manageable in the beginning then steadily increased their pricing as demand grew. And even then it wasn't cheap. Maybe their shooting for the Uber high end razor market, I don't know. Just a little overboard for me....

Still a "chunky" looking design, but ymmv.

Why can they not may a razor that has a thin profile (side view) head? Like the Gillette Old Type.

Kind of looks like a Merkur 1904 handle and a Gillette RFB head (without the OC). For that much money I would have thought they come up with something new, but it is titanium. I could buy both the ATT and Blackland SE Gem blade razors for that price.

Kind of looks like a Merkur 1904 handle and a Gillette RFB head (without the OC). For that much money I would have thought they come up with something new, but it is titanium. I could buy both the ATT and Blackland SE Gem blade razors for that price.

AMEN!

Significantly more than I am willing to pay, but I wouldn't pay $100 for a razor. To me, it's just a razor. However, if someone is willing to pay the price and can afford it, I don't see any problem with it. Personally, I'd rather pay off the house early.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good luck to them... that's way o steep for a new to market razor. They should've came out with a stainless steel razor at a much lower price point and later add titanium. I won't gamble with $400 to be a guinea pig.

Pretty sure I read Razorock will be introducing a fully titanium razor for $100 (so far only the titanium handle seems to be out there). If so, this needs to be one heck of a razor to justify the differential.

That is why I respect Rockwell razors even more, I don't own one but I want to get another stainless steel razor and would likely get the Rockwell from reviews I have read, I was fortunate to be able to get a Wolfman razor when it was $125 for the head $75 for the handle before the prices was raised and it is Canadian $ .

I wish more companies would come out with stainless steel razors like Rockwell with a reasonable price and good quality, while its not a 316L like the Wolfman nor is it titanium I would think it would last a lifetime or more.

I would love to own a titanium razor one day but at $395 I'll pass too.

I wish someone would make a stainless steel version of the Gillette "NEW" short comb or even the chrome plated one's like like the EJ, Muhle, Merkur with a $30 to $40 price point.

Reminds me that I have a titanium cro-bar around someplace. Was around 30.00 in early 90's. Was from Russian tank kit. Non sparking for work in explosive environments.

Worked as a machinist for a while, and know it eats tooling 10 times faster than stainless. Cause for a premium, but this is looking like unabashed greed.

Reminds me that I have a titanium cro-bar around someplace. Was around 30.00 in early 90's. Was from Russian tank kit. Non sparking for work in explosive environments.

Worked as a machinist for a while, and know it eats tooling 10 times faster than stainless. Cause for a premium, but this is looking like unabashed greed.
Tell me about it. Mercurized Carbide tipped cutting tips. And Titanium still eats them up. And that's with constant wet and flood cutting. I know the makers had a tough time working with this razor....

This part of the hobby mystifies me. To say titanium is overkill for a razor, as a poster above mentions, to me is a major understatement. Many here complain about zamac, but really, good chrome plating will last a very long time if kept clean, dry and indoors, and if the razor isn't used as a hammer or other carpentry tool. Chrome plated brass should last a lifetime. High quality stainless steel should last several lifetimes, and we only get one. What at least arguably isn't good enough for a razor is gold or silver plating. Gold plating wears off far too easily, and silver plating tarnishes too easily, and will also wear off eventually. And yet, many here happily and successfully use gold and silver plated razors despite these shortcomings.
OTOH, my glasses have titanium frames, and they are by far the best I've ever had. Can't shave with them, though.

Top Bottom