What's new

Will a company ever make a new injector again?

Do you think some company will eventually make a new injector razor? if so do you think decent blades will be available again too?

These injectors sound pretty awesome. It sounds like they have the learning curve of a cartridge with the results of a DE. if this is true wouldn't the average consumer be more likely to try wetshaving if there is no extra time needed and there is a minimal curve. This would appeal to many men so why hasn't anyone made one besides the nationwide campus one which got very bad reviews?

I would love to start my journey into wetshaving with one. Hopefully some company will make them again along with decent blades.

What do you think?

I don't know what "so many" means as far as Ebay sales of injectors is concerned . . . perhaps a handful a week??

When considering buying a used razor, if you clean it up properly and then sanitize it with barbicide or even alcohol, it is probably just as clean as what a new razor coming off of a production line would be.

As far as the "learning curve" is concerned, I feel that too much has been made of that, to the point that it may scare off some guys that might otherwise find that they preferred a DE or an SE. I feel that anyone can learn to use a different style razor in a very few shaves if they just start off following good practices such as Mantic's videos illustrate. (If you haven't watched these, you probably should.)

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying an injector; I used one for a couple of years myself back in the 60's. I haven't tried them, but Ted Pella does have a stainless steel, PTFE coated injector blade that I would suspect would work well. Others on this forum claim that it does perform well.

I personally suggest that you try different types of razors. You are trying to find one that will give you great performance and comfortable shaves for decades to come. It's worth some experimenting with different styles of razors to find the one that's right for you.

Regards,
Tom

I would love to see another company come out with an injector razor. They were simple, fairly inexpensive to make, and gave very good shaves. One of he most efficient razors ever made...light, nimble, slender shaving head and easy to use. Col Schick was an inventive genius!

There may be other injector razors made, but like DE razors, they will be relegated to a niche market. The reason for this is that the economic model of razor sales has switched to cartridge razor systems. Simply put, there is no money to be made in selling a razor that lasts virtually forever and selling razor blades for 10-15 cents a piece. Heck, I can buy a years supply of razor blades for 10 dollars. That's like 2 cartridges today.

So many are sold on eBay because some folks collect them and a lot of people are rediscovering the lost art of wetshaving and a lot of people are turned of by the high prices and inferior shaves of cartridges.

Most of the vintage razors can be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before use.

There are a lot of vintage Schick Injector razors that are obtainable from various sources that you really don't need to make new injector razors. I seriously doubt you could come anywhere close to making a razor today that could compete in quality with a vintage Schick injector.

Somebody did make a (Made in China) "new" injector razor a couple years back. However, the quality was not up to Schick standards, so results really varied. I don't know if the model is still in production, but it did get a few reviews here on B&B: Nationwide Campus Injector Razor.

I'd like to get me an injector, but apparently getting blades for them is becoming an issue. I hear that the blades that are being made now are not as good as they used to be.

I read somewhere else that someone has made an injector that uses Feather Artist Club blades. Classic Shaving is going to sell them apparently.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have one of the Nationwide Campus injectors. I still use it and it's pretty good, but I assume that I got lucky- others have complained about the quality of the razor.

ted pella is still providing 20 blade cartriges, and wilkinson sword europe is still selling schick blades made in germany,

I have one of the Nationwide Campus injectors. I still use it and it's pretty good, but I assume that I got lucky- others have complained about the quality of the razor.

I have one too. I guess I was lucky as well, since mine was OK. I still pull it out on occassion when I have a serious, multi-day beard going: they're great for knocking down thick stubble. Harder to get BBS with them though (IMO).

--Mark

I was an electric razor user for years. Gillette Sensor before that. It took me about 5 weeks to start getting consistently good shaves with a DE. Not a short time but it's not as intense as learning to be a concert pianist. I'll grow a beard before I go back to an electric or cartridges and canned foam.

Used razors are no big deal. Have you ever eaten with silverware at a restaurant? I hope this isn't news but that silverware has been in other people's mouths. Many razors are all metal and very easy to get clean. Hot water, scrubbing bubbles, alcohol, barbicide. Whatever floats your boat to get it clean. It's the blade that does the cutting and you will be using a new one and changing that out relatively often. On top of that, most antique razors you can acquire on the bay haven't been used in years. Anything that was crawling on them is dead by now.

How come so many are being sold on ebay?

I just don't feel comfortable using a razor that someone else has used. The new ones are way too expensive. And there don't seem to be any decent blades available.

As deshaveman just stated, a properly cleaned vintage razor is more sanitary than any eating utensil you use at a restaurant. And cleaning one isn't that big a deal. Most any vintage razor you buy off of B&B will have been well cleaned and ready to use.

Orignally posted by Colphax
I'd like to get me an injector, but apparently getting blades for them is becoming an issue. I hear that the blades that are being made now are not as good as they used to be.

I found a local brick and motar retailer that sells Schick Injector blades. These blades are made in China and I find them to be very good.

Others who have more experience then me in the shaving world and experience with injectors have compared the new Chinese Schick Injector blades to the orignal US Schick Injector blades.

I've got 3 Schick Injectors, I inherited one from my late father, I bought a NOS one and a backup one for the NOS just in case. I use one weekly and love them and think they are worth the effort to track down and clean.
But as always YMMV

I found a local brick and motar retailer that sells Schick Injector blades. These blades are made in China and I find them to be very good.

Is your brick and mortar a national chain, perhaps. The places I've checked around here don't list manufacture location. That is, when I can find injector blades at all.

Kevin

Is your brick and mortar a national chain, perhaps. The places I've checked around here don't list manufacture location. That is, when I can find injector blades at all.

Kevin

I find the Schick injector blades in my local "regional" grocery stores. The manufacture location is somewhat obscure on the back of the package at the lower left.

Top Bottom