What's new

what am I doing wrong ?

I can't get a good shave without missing spots or finding stubble afterwards no matter what
I try. I have tried shaving with my Parker 99r, My Merkur 23C and 34C, Weishi popular, using different handles and a Maggard V3 head. I tried using pre-shave techniques and not using them. I have tried the various soaps and creams , including Poraso, Trumpers, Col. Conk etc.
I must not be finding the right angle to get rid of left over stubble on my neck , chin and sometimes even a cheek. I have used Feather, Astra, Derby, Shark, and other blades. It seems to make no difference. I have tried mapping my face and shaving with the grain , sideways to the grain and against the grain. My next tries will be with a slant razor and an adjustable razor.
The best shaves I have received was with my 34C and a feather or astra blade. I tried the Merkur 23C which supposedly has the same head as the 34C and used both the long handle that came with the 23C and a MR6 handle from Maggard. I have tried one pass, two pass and three strikes and yer out pass. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Practice makes perfect. I have been DE shaving for about two years and only used one razor and brush, during most of that time. WTG, XTG then ATG. I then use a jhook on my neck, but I did not add the jhook, untill I could get good shave with out it. Started adding razors and brushes in the last few months. I did use different soaps and post shave procedures.
I do not know how long you have been shaving, but it is best to find one razor/ brush combo, and focus on technique first.
It is very tempting to collect several models of razors or brushes. But technique must come first. Others say it much better than I do. And I have read it here many times. Good luck.

Last edited:
Practice makes perfect.
It is very tempting to collect several models of razors or brushes. But technique must come first. Others say it much better than I do. And I have read it here many times. Good luck.

I'd stick with the Merkur/Astra combo exclusively for a couple of months, at least. It helps to give yourself time to refine technique. Plenty of time to use other razors and blades later. Also, it all starts with lather, so pick your favorite cream/soap and stick with that, too. Focus on making a consistently thick, creamy lather each shave.

Enjoy your shaves! :001_smile

I agree. All of the products that you mention should be capable of giving you a good shave--as long as you have a good technique. I also agree that you should pick one combination of razor, soap, and blade, and stick with that until you develop your technique. then you can experiment by changing one thing at a time.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have just returned to DE shaving after about a 65 year absence. I am presently 84 years old and started shaving with the old gilletes when I was about 15. I know my technique is lacking but I feel maybe the razors I am using are not aggressive enough. I will continue to practice and when I find Shaving Nirvana, I will try and sell some of the razors I have now. Admittedly I probably haven't used the individual razors enough to establish
a good technique with them. Your are also right about the lather. It varies
from good to not thick enough. That also may be because I need to spend more time on lather technique too. An accumulation of bad technique in both shaving and lather might be why I am getting poor shaves.

Last edited:
I can't get a good shave without missing spots or finding stubble afterwards no matter what
I try. I have tried shaving with my Parker 99r, My Merkur 23C and 34C, Weishi popular, using different handles and a Maggard V3 head. I tried using pre-shave techniques and not using them. I have tried the various soaps and creams , including Poraso, Trumpers, Col. Conk etc.
I must not be finding the right angle to get rid of left over stubble on my neck , chin and sometimes even a cheek. I have used Feather, Astra, Derby, Shark, and other blades. It seems to make no difference. I have tried mapping my face and shaving with the grain , sideways to the grain and against the grain. My next tries will be with a slant razor and an adjustable razor.
Sometimes you have to settle for DFS. I cannot get BBS on the collar line so the neck has always been difficult. The chin is also tricky so I do a bit of blade buffing to get the job done. The 34C with an Astra SP is a good combination so don't be discouraged.

Good advice above. I found it helpful to really concentrate on problem areas. Some times it's turning your head a little farther to flatten the line at the back of the jaw on your cheek. Or stretching your skin with the off hand. Take the razor and blade you've been most successful with, and stick with it.

It's easy to get the angle right on the flats of your face. Getting the angle right on the curves, points, and crags takes more practice.

Another somewhat odd suggestion is to consider finding a really lightweight aluminum razor. I started with an old Feather aluminum, and it's still my favorite. Part of the reason is it gives audible feedback. You can hear and feel when it is cutting. With a Feather blade, there's nothing better for me. Just a thought. I find the heavier razors mute that audible feedback I love.

Good luck

Mark

Nickie, you're doing great!
Give yourself some time and enjoy the journey!

speick merkur 4711 st pauli girl january 18 2016.jpg

All excellent advice above. Keep at it, work on technique, and don't worry about a BBS shave. It will all come together in time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Now that's what I call an encouraging picture. Good beer, good razors and
4711 one of my favorite after-shaves (when I was young and headin for town)
thx!
iywam, my suggestion is to focus and master one element at a time.
for instance, imo, pre-shave is a good place to start.
i've tried a ton of stuff and most often come back to a pre-shave lather and rinse with translucent glycerin soap.

clearly natural glycerin soap flexball omega myrsol k harris albany october 11 2014.jpg

I think the solution for most shaving problems is generally...technique and more experience. If you aren't cutting yourself excessively it's probably not lather, blades or the type of razor that you have.

I can get a pretty close shave with a DE after a bit of practice but I have a hard time getting a smooth shave on the chin when I use a straight razor so I finish up with a DE sometimes. My DE technique has gotten better, I think, because of all of the focus with trying to make the straight razor do what I want.

Just stick with it and you'll get smooth shaves I'm sure. I'm always working to improve the results I get on my chin however.

I also agree with the above. I've been DE shaving for about a year and while I had previously mapped out my beard, I really didn't follow that mapping with my shave strokes.....until my last shave on Sunday. I have to say I may have had the best shave I've ever had. Certain areas of my face had just never been that smooth because I had ignored the subtle variations in my beard growth. Sunday I painstakingly followed the grain of my beard, took care to watch all of the other aspects of my technique and was treated to such a great shave I was feeling and rubbing my face for the rest of the day. There is always something else to work on or focus on or learn. Just like life.

Practice is the key.
OK. This morning I shaved with my merkur 23C, an Astra blabe and some col monk cream. I did three passes concentrating on blade angle. After viewing some videos, I tried holding my razor perpendicular to my face then changing the angle slightly until I could feel the cutting action on my face. I did three passes and am happy to say I got my best shave yet. Still a couple of small stumble spots but much, much better than my previous shaves. I received my Chinese clone merkur futur yesterday but am going to wait until I master my technique before I try the ming shi. Thanks to all for your help.

Very well done, Nickie. Glad to hear that you got a good shave. That is the proper way to experiment with your angle.

OK. This morning I shaved with my merkur 23C, an Astra blabe and some col monk cream. I did three passes concentrating on blade angle. After viewing some videos, I tried holding my razor perpendicular to my face then changing the angle slightly until I could feel the cutting action on my face. I did three passes and am happy to say I got my best shave yet. Still a couple of small stumble spots but much, much better than my previous shaves. I received my Chinese clone merkur futur yesterday but am going to wait until I master my technique before I try the ming shi. Thanks to all for your help.

Well done! It's cool to find someone at your age returning to the fold. Welcome back!

Happy to hear it. I had quite a good shave to day myself. It is mostly gone to stubble now though. But no shadow for me, Beard is mostly Silver.
Well as I always tell my kids, Old age and treachery and treachery, ALWAYS beats Youth and enthusiasm.

Top Bottom