What's new

A few questions and some advice for a new member.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I currently have two DE razors. I believe them to be a British Flare Tip Rocket from the 50's and a Gillette "New" Palmolive, which I believe to be NIB condition. The Rocket is the razor I learned to shave with in the 1980's and was my fathers. I'm not sure where the "New" came from but it's been around the family a very long time. I dont believe its ever been used.

So to my questions. With the "New", if it is in fact unused, should I use it or does it have any particular collector value that would be degraded with use? I assume it's gold plated, and as you can see in the pics, it shines like a mirror. You can actually see the reflection of me holding the camera in one picture.

In another pic of the "New" you can see a very slight, very small crack at the base of the handle. Thats the only crack in the handle and I've read in this forum about applying epoxy to the inside of the handle and clamping it with a suitable hose clamp. With a razor in this condition, is that the best way to repair a crack such as this, or would anyone have further or better advice on how to make sure it wont propagate? Would such a repair affect the value of the razor, if in fact is it a sought after collector piece?

I've read that the gold plating is a bit thin. Assuming I will be using this razor, does anyone have advice on protecting that finish? I had thought about a few coats of a hard wax, MinWax paste, but I'm unsure if that may discolour or in other ways harm the finish.

Oh right, you guys like pics. Here ya go lol...

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

The camera wouldnt auto focus on the stamped letters/numbers, but it says "BRIT PAT 694093". Apparently the camera can see better than I'm able too, and I can now make out a "l l" on one side of the neck.

Any advice, thoughts or questions welcomed and thanks in advance.

To use, or not to use...that is always the question.

My suggestion is to use it, but also to treat it well enough that nobody could ever tell that you used it. To me, this is the best of both worlds.

Antique Gillette razors are incredibly well built so regular, thoughtful use shouldn't leave any signs of wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for using it, but show it respect. The New is one of the best razors out there and unless you have the original box and a handle without cracks, it will never have much value to just keep. Yes, the gold wash is very thin, but under it is brass and so it won't really look weathered. Just disassemble it after every use and dry it out completely and you got yourself a great razor for a very long time.

I'm form the side that says not to use it. The gold is very thin and will wear fast. User grade NEWS are dirt cheap so why risk messing it up. Personally I like beat up user grade razors to use, if I drop, or just don't feel like cleaning it after I'm done, no worries. I wouldn't be against using it once in a while, but probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as just using any old beater.

Another vote for using it, but show it respect. The New is one of the best razors out there and unless you have the original box and a handle without cracks, it will never have much value to just keep. Yes, the gold wash is very thin, but under it is brass and so it won't really look weathered. Just disassemble it after every use and dry it out completely and you got yourself a great razor for a very long time.
+++1 I don't think that it could sell as NIB without a box. Use it and enjoy it. But that is just my option.

+++1 I don't think that it could sell as NIB without a box. Use it and enjoy it. But that is just my option.
But the first pic shows a box and paper blade spacer. I know it's never going to be worth a fortune, but I think it looks like a nice little set worth preserving.

As far as the crack. If it still holds together leave it alone. If it's falling apart the epoxy method works great.

But the first pic shows a box and paper blade spacer. I know it's never going to be worth a fortune, but I think it looks like a nice little set worth preserving.
Sorry I meant in the box plus if he glues it NIB would be a hard sell (but that is just me). I agree that it is a nice setup...very nice but I think it should be used.

I would leave that New as is. If you want one to shave with, there are tens of thousands of them floating around and you can get a nice one for $20.

Sorry I meant in the box plus if he glues it NIB would be a hard sell (but that is just me). I agree that it is a nice setup...very nice but I think it should be used.
I'm always so torn on these on the one hand I do feel it is a tool and it should be used. On the other it survived this long with all the gold I would want to make sure it lasts. Plenty of the already bare brass or re-plated out there to use. That's just me though, and it's why I don't buy NOS stuff, unless I just happen to come across it cheap. Anyway no real harm in using it.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I'd use it once or twice. Then like said, I'd go find a user grade one. As far as the crack, its like Troy said. If it's holding, leave it alone. If it's falling apart, fix it.
Great Heirlooms you have!

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the replies and opinions, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Like others, I'm torn between using it or not as well and feel it should be preserved for future generations, hence my asking about using something to protect the finish.

I have a 9 brand blade sampler pack and I've been through them all for two blades so far with my fathers Rocket. I think I'll go through them all again with the New and see what I think. If I really like how it shaves I'll look for a more user grade one and put this one back in the box and tuck it away to hand down the line.

The handle itself is quite secure and stays together as it was meant too. No looseness on any parts and cant be over tightened against the head as the handle will turn against the neck with slight effort, but it snugs up nicely. I had hoped there may be a way to stop that crack from spreading without degrading the razor, but I do understand the concept of "original unrestored condition".

Thanks for that link. More reading and learning.

I consider myself to be a user rather than a collector, even though I have a ton of stuff. For me, the entire point is to use and enjoy things. So, I would definitely vote with those who suggest you use the razors you have!

I fall into the user crowd also. I think I would use it occasionally and treat it with respect, washing and drying after each shave.

The Rocket is a great daily driver!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Rocket is a great daily driver!

I agree but it feels very mild and find it difficult to shave with after more than 2-3 days growth. My last shave was with a Polsiver SI and promptly after rinsing I ordered 200 so I'll see how it goes with them for a while. I've been contemplating the Muhle R41, or possibly the Maggard V3A, but still undecided. It seems a large step up in aggressiveness from the Rocket.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Some day someone is going to use it. Who is more deserving to use it than YOU?

You must have read my mind, I was having a shave, a day early, as you posted.

I must say, it's a hell of a razor. Now I understand why they're so well liked by so many. I'd say it's slightly more aggressive than the Rocket, really not a lot but much more efficient. I can feel the blade itself a lot more in comparison to the Rocket where I just really feel the bar and that threw me off a bit at first. After one pass though I was shaving away like ever and it felt nearly as safe as the Rocket, which is saying a lot. It was the second best shave of my life. That title, so far, goes to the Rocket with a Polsilver SI.

Top Bottom