What's new

Best cheap modern DE razor

Cheers. I managed to pick up some L6's for around $15 delivered. As they will be part of a gift set I was looking for a new/unused razor more than secondhand. If they only last a few years that will give the user a good opportunity to work out if they like shaving with a DE and upgrade to a higher quality razor later.

Good choice. It's a fine razor. If cared for properly I suspect they would last a long time too. It's just not a lifetime razor like a vintage Gillette or a stainless razor.

I would be sure to put instructions with the razor to be very careful screwing and unscrewing the head assembly. The only problem I've heard of with these razors is when someone carelessly cross threads one or tightens it down too hard.

STOP - Get a vintage Slim instead!! - High quality shaves, it's mild and the adjusting is great for finding your preferred level, it's amazingly beautiful and when not shaving he can just sit and hold it, look at it and let the DE bug really take hold. Owning a vintage adjustable makes you desperate to succeed as you feel you can never be without it :)
... Or get a Feather Popular, Feathers are truly amazing razors.

Last edited:
Cheers. I've heard good things about the L6 ..... and managed to find some for around $15 (including delivery to Australia). Definitely within budget. So I've ordered a couple (I might even try one for myself).
I hope you enjoy them. I've probably given away a dozen of them so far. They are mild, so a new shaver can get away with a mistake or two without paying with blood. I'm using one (with a different handle) in just a few minutes.

VDH is definetly a weishi. It was my first razor. While the quality is excellent for the price, I find its just too mild of a razor and i grew out of it in a week.

If i could start over ide start with something more aggressive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

STOP - Get a vintage Slim instead!! - High quality shaves, it's mild and the adjusting is great for finding your preferred level, it's amazingly beautiful and when not shaving he can just sit and hold it, look at it and let the DE bug really take hold. Owning a vintage adjustable makes you desperate to succeed as you feel you can never be without it :)
... Or get a Feather Popular, Feathers are truly amazing razors.

Did you read the original post? A Slim is a fine razor but not within the budget he prescribed. AND he wanted to go with a new razor and not vintage. I've used a feather popular. Good razor but personally I prefer all metal.

Thanks Bookie - A 3 piece razor such as a tech style was definitely what I was after, my definition perhaps was as clear as it should've been .. by "modern" I actually meant new/unused and readily available. Cheers.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that you were looking for a three piece razor. Another inexpensive razor is a Rapira safety razor.
Can be purchased for less than $10 on Ebay.

Did you read the original post? A Slim is a fine razor but not within the budget he prescribed. AND he wanted to go with a new razor and not vintage. I've used a feather popular. Good razor but personally I prefer all metal.

Well my bad then, sorry if I offended anyone... but I just wish that I'd known about B&B when I started. Then someone might have told me that I go someway else than just buying the 34c that all websites suggested. Cut my face wide open. An adjustable makes you able to test your preferences and you don't risk the poor guy trying a specific razor and then too hastily conclude "Nope this is not for me in general"... the best answer is not always the direct one...
But that's just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Well my bad then, sorry if I offended anyone... but I just wish that I'd known about B&B when I started. Then someone might have told me that I go someway else than just buying the 34c that all websites suggested. Cut my face wide open. An adjustable makes you able to test your preferences and you don't risk the poor guy trying a specific razor and then too hastily conclude "Nope this is not for me in general"... the best answer is not always the direct one...
But that's just my 2 cents...

No worries. The slim is a fine razor. And I agree adjustables can be good when starting out and you are unsure of what you need.

Just last week, I received in the mail from amazon the Merkur 1904 (the 42C - closed comb). Also available on amazon is the Merkur 43C, an open-comb 1904. Both are currently @$25.50 USD. These are quality razors, nearly identical to the Gillette Tech in size and weight, and at a price only a few dollars above the Weishi. I would say the closed-comb model would be ideal for a DE beginner.

However, I do not know what the postage might be from the US to AU. This is maybe a show stopper.

Last edited:
Cheers Badger. Thanks for your suggestions... I was going to avoid TTO's in favour of 3 piece if possible (just personal preference). I agree with the EJ89 being a nice gift (I love mine, it's my daily shaver), they are quite expensive in Aus though (-around $50) so I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper in case my friend doesn't end up using it so much. I managed to find some Lord L6 for a good price which I have read good things about.
I think that EJs are the cheapest 3-piece razors youre going to find. I believe that some Merkurs are in the same range but, IMO, EJ/Muhle heads are far superior to Merkurs. I started out with a few Merkur razors and found that with all of them, I had to align the blade but with any EJ/Muhle razor, I just put the blade in, tighten the handle and its good to go. No aligning of the blade needed.
About TTO, while you may not pefer them, if youre looking for something affordable for your friend, a TTO may be your best option because all of the, "drug store" razors that I see on store shelves are all TTOs. Being that your friend is new to wet shaving, a TTO may be preferrable because its pretty much fool proof. The only downside to TTO is that they are a little more difficult to keep clean.

I think that EJs are the cheapest 3-piece razors youre going to find. I believe that some Merkurs are in the same range but, IMO, EJ/Muhle heads are far superior to Merkurs. I started out with a few Merkur razors and found that with all of them, I had to align the blade but with any EJ/Muhle razor, I just put the blade in, tighten the handle and its good to go. No aligning of the blade needed.
About TTO, while you may not pefer them, if youre looking for something affordable for your friend, a TTO may be your best option because all of the, "drug store" razors that I see on store shelves are all TTOs. Being that your friend is new to wet shaving, a TTO may be preferrable because its pretty much fool proof. The only downside to TTO is that they are a little more difficult to keep clean.
He's already

An EJ is not the cheapest 3 piece?? The Lord is less expensive and still a pretty good quality razor. And saying the only advantage of a three piece over a TTO being cleaning is just your opinion. Many people prefer three piece razors. IMO in addition to being easier to clean they are also less complex and therefore less likely to breakdown over time or if mishandled or dropped. YMMV.

There's only one choice here imo. Maggard razor. Great for a beginner or an old pro and should last a lifetime.

Thanks guys. I was looking to avoid TTO's (just personal preference... and the VDH cost a huge amount to get to Aus). The Baili/RazoRock Tech II look like good options. The RazoRock doesn't seem to be available in Aus but I can get the Baili Tech style for around $20. The other options I found were the Lord L122/L5 as a tech style or L6 (Merkur style head)... I ended up buying a couple of the L6's which I can get delivered for around $15 each. Cheers.

As I said, the RazoRock Teck II - 3 Piece - is a Baili. You can get it on ebay.

Here's a BIN (US ebay) for $8

BAILI Manual Chrome Long Handle Men's Barber Shaving Safety Blade Razor Mirror | eBay

Hi all. I am looking to put together a starter DE kit for a friend. I looking for a cheap but quality modern razor to put in it. I want something mild but efficient, that isn't likely to turn them off DE shaving forever after the first use. I am looking for something under around $25 Aust (for comparison a Merkur 33C Classic cost about $35 AUS and an Edwin Jagger around $AU50. Cheers.
The RazoRock German 37. A gentle slant bar. Very efficient. Under $20

I'm sorry, I didn't see that you were looking for a three piece razor. Another inexpensive razor is a Rapira safety razor.
Can be purchased for less than $10 on Ebay.

This is the only sub-$10 razor I own (except for some vintage SEs), and it performs well. If you're willing to spend a little more, the FaTip piccolo is magnificent, and made of brass.

Thanks guys. I was looking to avoid TTO's (just personal preference... and the VDH cost a huge amount to get to Aus). The Baili/RazoRock Tech II look like good options. The RazoRock doesn't seem to be available in Aus but I can get the Baili Tech style for around $20. The other options I found were the Lord L122/L5 as a tech style or L6 (Merkur style head)... I ended up buying a couple of the L6's which I can get delivered for around $15 each. Cheers.
Ming Shi 2000s. It's a Futur clone. You can buy it for around $11 including shipping from China. It's a well made bargain.

Top Bottom