What's new

March 2017 Scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to share this one with my friends at B&B. I've waited years for a really nice Gillette Diplomat to come along at the right price and it finally arrived at my house yesterday. I've always wanted one to complement my 1953 President. This 1953 Y2 Diplomat was purchased by a fellow in Minneapolis upon returning from the Korean War. He seems to have used it once since the wrapper was removed from the blades but it's hard to tell as it looks so darn minty. This thing shines like no other razor I own. His daughter took possession of it and put it away in the back her closet until last week. This is the score I've needed to rejuvenate my love of collecting these beautiful pieces!

That is a great score! Really beautiful.

proxy.php

Scored a "razor emporium" replated 1963 slim on ebay, cheaper than average condition slims.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Excellent addition!

My father picked me up some razors from a flea market - whole lot for $53.

IMG_20170318_194637.jpg
IMG_20170318_194812.jpg

The SS is a V3, so I guess 1950. The FB is G1 1961. The Techs and OC don't have date codes. The Ball End has no cracks. Plating is pretty decent on all. The OCMM scares me :117:.

The FB had a stuck adjuster, but it freed-up after soaking in Dawn. One of the doors on the SS needs adjusting (doesn't sit as flush/a little lazy).

I'm not an expert, so can anybody give me insight on the Techs? Frankenrazors? Aproximate time periods?

View attachment 776696
View attachment 776697

The SS is a V3, so I guess 1950. The FB is G1 1961. The Techs and OC don't have date codes. The Ball End has no cracks. Plating is pretty decent on all. The OCMM scares me :117:.

The FB had a stuck adjuster, but it freed-up after soaking in Dawn. One of the doors on the SS needs adjusting (doesn't sit as flush/a little lazy).

I'm not an expert, so can anybody give me insight on the Techs? Frankenrazors? Aproximate time periods?

Nice group you have there. I like the fatboy except it has a tendency to get gunked up over time. That's why a lot of folks prefer a fatboy before 1960 as they have a removable piece inside the bottom of the handle allowing the entire razor to be disassemble for easy cleaning.

No date codes on any Gillette indicates it's from before 1950 since that is when they started using the LETTER-NUMBER codes. Gillette used serial numbers up to around 1931 I think. The stopped for some reason and then started stamping their razors using the same system as their blades starting in 1950.

From the top to the bottom, your Techs are

1. A Bar-handle NEW from about the late 1920's to 1930's
2. A fat-handled tech. If the slots are triangular they are pre-WWII (1945). If the slots are straight then it is 1946-1949. You won't be able nail it down any closer than that without a good backstory from the original owner.
3. Thin-handle Tech. These are by far the most common Gillette you will see. Again, you can only go by pre-1950 or after (if it has a date code).

Good luck and happy shaving!

Nice group you have there. I like the fatboy except it has a tendency to get gunked up over time. That's why a lot of folks prefer a fatboy before 1960 as they have a removable piece inside the bottom of the handle allowing the entire razor to be disassemble for easy cleaning.

No date codes on any Gillette indicates it's from before 1950 since that is when they started using the LETTER-NUMBER codes. Gillette used serial numbers up to around 1931 I think. The stopped for some reason and then started stamping their razors using the same system as their blades starting in 1950.

From the top to the bottom, your Techs are

1. A Bar-handle NEW from about the late 1920's to 1930's
2. A fat-handled tech. If the slots are triangular they are pre-WWII (1945). If the slots are straight then it is 1946-1949. You won't be able nail it down any closer than that without a good backstory from the original owner.
3. Thin-handle Tech. These are by far the most common Gillette you will see. Again, you can only go by pre-1950 or after (if it has a date code).

Good luck and happy shaving!

Thanks for the info! The Techs both have the post-war oblong slots. Oddly enough, I now have 3 Fatboys (2 '61 and a '60) - I may need to consider a sale or PIF in the future. The really funny thing is that I've lost out on Ebay for the same types of razors recently (New, Fat Handle, and Ball End). My fledgling collection doubled in size and diversity overnight. I think the New will have to be the first one in rotation - fascinated by the thought of the open comb.

Thanks for the info! The Techs both have the post-war oblong slots. Oddly enough, I now have 3 Fatboys (2 '61 and a '60) - I may need to consider a sale or PIF in the future. The really funny thing is that I've lost out on Ebay for the same types of razors recently (New, Fat Handle, and Ball End). My fledgling collection doubled in size and diversity overnight. I think the New will have to be the first one in rotation - fascinated by the thought of the open comb.

I've often thought how lucky we are to be able to sample all of Gillette's "latest and greatest" models after the fact. Sometimes I imagine I am that customer back in the day that walks into the local five and dime and notices Gillette has a new razor out! Let's try it! LOL! Fun stuff. Enjoy your new items!

I just had to share this one with my friends at B&B. I've waited years for a really nice Gillette Diplomat to come along at the right price and it finally arrived at my house yesterday. I've always wanted one to complement my 1953 President. This 1953 Y2 Diplomat was purchased by a fellow in Minneapolis upon returning from the Korean War. He seems to have used it once since the wrapper was removed from the blades but it's hard to tell as it looks so darn minty. This thing shines like no other razor I own. His daughter took possession of it and put it away in the back her closet until last week. This is the score I've needed to rejuvenate my love of collecting these beautiful pieces!

Wow! Congrats! That's beautiful! Was that off eBay?

I went to a flea market today. I got some Avon, mostly Spicy :001_wub:, but I also got Deep Woods cologne, Tribute, and Bravo.
DSCF0025.JPG
I also picked up a few razors. Long Comb Good Will, 54 Flare Tip, and 2 Micromatic Open Combs.
DSCF0026.JPG

View attachment 776696
View attachment 776697

Great pickup. The Micromatic is a bit aggressive.

My search for a backup Henckels Rapide is over. Just received this today. No, I don't think Henckels made a Rapide with a gunmetal finish. It has seen better days and the blade looks like it is in better condition, but not by much. Anyway, all the parts work and the blade doesn't have chips or cracks that can't be honed out. I got it soaking in Dawn right now and tomorrow it will probably spend a bunch of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner.

DSC01407.JPG
DSC01408.JPG

I raided Target tonight, my wife likes lavender and so do I. Hopping in the shower with Dr. Bronner right now.

~J. Babcock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
proxy.php

My search for a backup Henckels Rapide is over. Just received this today. No, I don't think Henckels made a Rapide with a gunmetal finish. It has seen better days and the blade looks like it is in better condition, but not by much. Anyway, all the parts work and the blade doesn't have chips or cracks that can't be honed out. I got it soaking in Dawn right now and tomorrow it will probably spend a bunch of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner.

View attachment 777146 View attachment 777147

Congrats!

Legion

Staff member
My sister-in-law is visiting from the US, so I had her bring me some Skin Bracer and Aqua Velv, both of which cant be bought here in Oz.

Skin Bracer is a longtime fave, but today was my first try of the Aqua Velva. The jury is still out on that one. Seems a little bit "old lady", but I will let SWMBO decide for sure when she gets home.

DSC00285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom