What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Just picked up a few things, but mainly wanted to try the Aristocrat; the rest was icing on the cake.
s-l1600-39.jpg

s-l1600-24.jpg

s-l1600-26.jpg

It will be my first Gems;

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I am a collector, I feel that Gillette did not make these razors to be pieces of art..... they were made, and made well, to use every day. Unless it is GENUINELY N.O.S., in a sealed package, there is no harm in cleaning them up and using them. But then again, as Paul Simon once sang, "one man's ceiling is another man's floor. They are another man's possessions, and his to do with as he enjoys.....
Cheers,
Kevin

That's why I see no harm in some one customizing (Delta Echo) a razor that's in rough shape to give it a new life to enjoy. :001_cool:

Bookworm said (and well put, I might add):
"...the entire purpose of that razor. To be picked up, used, and enjoyed. It's a tool, and to be properly appreciated, it must be used as such. To do otherwise would be to violate its entire existence."

I chose to clean up all of my razors. Part of that equation was sanitation, as the inside of a TTO handle harbors shaving detritus and is not appealing to retain. That argument holds for the cases that compliment each of the early Super speeds that I own. Secondly, there is that pride of ownership factor, as I use all of my razors, and they are simply not garage jewelry, which is a term I apply to trailer queen British automobile restorations. The MGB in my avatar will be fully refurbished, with only a few pieces of rubber replacing the original bits. The difference is that I will use my MGB certainly as it was intended- albeit more carefully than I did following college graduation. The restoration has been featured in two marque magazine articles, and it is thorough. I thank God daily for being alive... at my advancing age, your reflexes are just slower. Spirited driving is the term the British use.

I also keep my tools in good repair, as I want them to work as they were designed to do. I always use the adage-"a job is not done until the tools are put up." Dirty tools, I believe, offer no evidence of responsible ownership. If one takes care of their tools-the tools will take care of you. I mow three acres, so I use my two Husqvarna mowers as examples. When they fail, it is indeed a setback.

So there you have it- live your life and use your stuff- be a good steward of all that you have been given. Therefore, clean polish, and above all- use those razors as they were intended to be used by Gillette. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

"...the entire purpose of that razor. To be picked up, used, and enjoyed. It's a tool, and to be properly appreciated, it must be used as such. To do otherwise would be to violate its entire existence."

I chose to clean up all of my razors. Part of that equation was sanitation, as the inside of a TTO handle harbors shaving detritus and is not appealing to retain. That argument holds for the cases that compliment each of the early Super speeds that I own. Secondly, there is that pride of ownership factor, as I use all of my razors, and they are simply not garage jewelry, which is a term I apply to trailer queen British automobile restorations. The MGB in my avatar will be fully refurbished, with only a few pieces of rubber replacing the original bits. The difference is that I will use my MGB certainly as it was intended- albeit more carefully than I did following college graduation. The restoration has been featured in two marque magazine articles, and it is thorough. I thank God daily for being alive... at my advancing age, your reflexes are just slower. Spirited driving is the term the British use.

I also keep my tools in good repair, as I want them to work as they were designed to do. I always use the adage-"a job is not done until the tools are put up." Dirty tools, I believe, offer no evidence of responsible ownership. If one takes care of their tools-the tools will take care of you. I mow three acres, so I use my two Husqvarna mowers as examples. When they fail, it is indeed a setback.

So there you have it- live your life and use your stuff- be a good steward of all that you have been given. Therefore, clean polish, and above all- use those razors as they were intended to be used by Gillette. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

+1

Even though I am a collector, I feel that Gillette did not make these razors to be pieces of art..... they were made, and made well, to use every day. Unless it is GENUINELY N.O.S., in a sealed package, there is no harm in cleaning them up and using them. But then again, as Paul Simon once sang, "one man's ceiling is another man's floor. They are another man's possessions, and his to do with as he enjoys.....
Cheers,
Kevin

I agree, Kevin.

Obviously...:001_cool:

+1

Yeah, but to naturally replace 100 years of patina takes ... wait for it ... about 100 years ;-) Live long and prosper!

Sure, we have no say in what people should do with their stuff, but if they ask for opinions, they're going to get them ;-)

I think you'll find that 100 years of patina is probably only 10 years old. Like copper, once the layer of oxidation if fully realized, no further oxidation can occur.

proxy.php

Merkur safety. Not sure which model? It's not on the box. Anyone have an idea? I believe it is a long handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks, gents. That case isn't easy to find -- this one actually had an older Aristocrat missing one end cap inside.
Nice job on the material. Did you have to do any work on the logo area in the top?
Just carefully cleaning the bottom, then reattaching the white hinge cover and gluing the headliner back.

Top Bottom