What's new

The Amazing Aristocrat: My holy Grail!

Congratulations on finding your grail razor and very nice review!
The US Aristocrat, 46/47 or 48-50, are my favorites as well and I also have two Diplomats and one President. All pretty much look and handle the same, just minor differences in the curling and the center bar in the head that holds the blade.
The first picture from left to right is a 46/47, a 48-50, a Diplomat, and a President. The second picture is of all of my Aristocrats and both Diplomats before I got my hands on the President.
tmp_25043-20170317_081457-1656272990.jpg

tmp_25043-2015-11-04_08.28.251376578513.png

Congratulations on finding your grail razor and very nice review!
The US Aristocrat, 46/47 or 48-50, are my favorites as well and I also have two Diplomats and one President. All pretty much look and handle the same, just minor differences in the curling and the center bar in the head that holds the blade.
The first picture from left to right is a 46/47, a 48-50, a Diplomat, and a President. The second picture is of all of my Aristocrats and both Diplomats before I got my hands on the President.
View attachment 776313
View attachment 776314

It's good to see I'm not the only aristocrat lover in the group. Beautiful razors, well done sir!

I have what I believe is a '47 US Aristocrat, and a '53 "Brit-ocrat." The '47 is amazing: great with my usual go-to blade (Dorco 300), simply stellar with an Astra Stainless (not SP) loaded. The '53, oddly, strikes me as a bit aggressive for my face, and I haven't used it in ages: I'd hate to get rid of it, but after reading this thread I'll give it one more go, this time with an Astra, and if it still doesn't do do it for me you guys will be first to get a crack at buying it. The '47, of course, is an absolute keeper.

I have what I believe is a '47 US Aristocrat, and a '53 "Brit-ocrat." The '47 is amazing: great with my usual go-to blade (Dorco 300), simply stellar with an Astra Stainless (not SP) loaded. The '53, oddly, strikes me as a bit aggressive for my face, and I haven't used it in ages: I'd hate to get rid of it, but after reading this thread I'll give it one more go, this time with an Astra, and if it still doesn't do do it for me you guys will be first to get a crack at buying it. The '47, of course, is an absolute keeper.

1940-1947 US Gillette TTO's all have the same head. 1948-1950 TTO's have a slight blade gap increase. 1951+ TTO'S, the blade was increase again. For me TTO's from 1940-1950 all have more of a slicing action, while the later ones have more of a scraping action.

I believe these changes came in England also. My British 3rd gen Aristocrat Junior has the same specs as the 1948-1950 US Aristocrat. My later Rocket HD shaves exactly like my Red tip. I suspect your '53 British Aristocrat shaves like a Red tip or Rocket HD also.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kudos on my review. I had a feeling there was a lot of love for Aristocrats out there.

I have been wet shaving for a bit over a year now and only recently discovered the ´Crat. I did a bit of research and found out about their reputation. Information about them is surprisingly scarce. I think that those who own them are reluctant to sing their praises TOO loudly because demand would skyrocket and so would prices.

I'm super stoked about the buzz on this thread. I have learned a bunch about the aristocrat from you fine gents. Thanks for reading and contributing to this thread!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the kudos on my review. I had a feeling there was a lot of love for Aristocrats out there.

I have been wet shaving for a bit over a year now and only recently discovered the ´Crat. I did a bit of research and found out about their reputation. Information about them is surprisingly scarce. I think that those who own them are reluctant to sing their praises TOO loudly because demand would skyrocket and so would prices.

I'm super stoked about the buzz on this thread. I have learned a bunch about the aristocrat from you fine gents. Thanks for reading and contributing to this thread!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Many people feel the Aristocrat is too mild or too bulky. It's pretty much an acquired taste.

This thread I started lasted year shows opinions for and against.

47 Aristocrat vs 56 Redtip

This thread stimulated me to dig out my old beater '34 Aristocrat acquired for $50 USD in 2007 or so. I hadn't shaved with it since then, and loaded up a Silver Blue used once, and took a Simpson Persian Jar to some MDC and had at it. Really great shave !
P1020780.JPG

Here it is again along with a couple of '46-'47 examples. The one on the right is a shaver, the one in the middle is a minty showpiece.
P1020777.JPG

Last edited:
This thread stimulated me to dig out my old beater '34 Aristocrat acquired for $50 USD in 2007 or so. I hadn't shaved with it since than, and loaded up a Silver Blue used once, and took a Simpson Persian Jar to some MDC and had at it. Really great shave !
View attachment 776500
Here it is again along with a couple of '46-'47 examples. The one on the right is a shaver, the one in the middle is a minty showpiece.
View attachment 776501
Very nice

I have an unused 1941 Aristocrat that I found in my stepdad's belongings when he died in 2002. It's still unused. I'd post a photo, but haven't figured out how since the site changed.

Top Bottom