What's new

Rubberset model numbers - Post your numbers here

Hello Mlee,

You're right, these are unusual in that they have very limited markings and no model number. The style though is identical to a design they used for their models 69, 89 & 100. I've also seen same brush (without the model number) in NOS boxes that list the model number as 1460, 1466 and 1467. I'm not sure what the differences are, they look identical to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Funny thing is, I had never seen one of these brushes before I found this one a couple of weeks ago, and then this weekend I saw 2 more just like it at 2 different flea markets. It's too bad that there aren't more information on brushes.

It's too bad that there aren't more information on brushes.

I think BSAGuy said it best here:

"There were scores, or even hundreds, of millions of brushes made over the decades. They were not high end items nor especially valuable, nor was there ever ANY thought that perhaps in the far, far future, there would be a community of total freaks that would be interested in collecting them or in production minutiae.

Best reference would probably be manufacturer's or distributor's catalogs, but again, these documents were largely tossed every year for good reason when the newest edition was published."

Unfortunately, no. Unlike razors of the day very few catalogs or any other record of model numbers have survived to this day. These were considered utilitarian, consumable and ultimately disposable. As such no attempt was made to pass this info down to crazy folks who might be interested in them generations later.

Unfortunately, no. Unlike razors of the day very few catalogs or any other record of model numbers have survived to this day. These were considered utilitarian, consumable and ultimately disposable. As such no attempt was made to pass this info down to crazy folks who might be interested in them generations later.

Thanks Jim, that's about what I thought.

Great score, heirloom gear is the best. The 49-4 was called the "Big 4" and was designed for Barbers. It was the biggest of the 49 series.

What about the 49-5?

100_2184.JPG
100_2187.JPG

Attached is a Rubberset store display or salesman sample from their former offices in Gravenhurst, Ontario Canada. It should be in my hot little hands in a week.

knot-displayv2.jpg

Hey Dan, really good to see you around these parts again. I found it on eBay with a buy-it-now. Too unique for me to pass up. It still hasn't arrived yet but hopefully any day now.

For anyone who's interested in such things, I have two 49-5's that I'm working on, and there are differences between the two.

One has course threads, and the other fine.

100_2245.JPG
100_2246.JPG

Also, the one with course threads has no brass band around the knot, and the one with fine threads has the band.

This is the one with the band.

100_2230.JPG
100_2234.JPG

In the early ads they bragged about the metal band, later ads don't mention the band, so I guess I have an early and a later one, but I really can't put a date on either one unfortunately.

This ad is from Jim's site, thanks Jim! :thumbsup:

rubberset ad 1907_4.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom