What's new

Finally tried Haslinger

I recently started using Haslinger aftershave balm. I rarely see it mentioned in these hallowed halls. For me it is excellent stuff!

Haslinger is an incredible soap, Schafmilch and Sandalwood are two of my regulars. I keep mine in the small, not the large, Col Conk marble bowls, add some water overnight and press it in to fill the gaps in the bowl. If Sandalwood is your thing, it matches Geo Trumper Sandalwood EdT perfectly. Schafmilch left and Sandalwood on the right (below)
20170305_155107.jpg

Last September, in a decision to try Haslinger, I picked a puck of Salbei (sage). I haven't really been able to detect any scent and neither has my very sensitive wife. That being said, I really like the lather. You can quickly make a rich, wet lather that provides a great smooth, irritation free shave to me at least. I started on the puck last October 1, and it's still going strong. I'm beginning to wonder how long it lasts. Haslinger has become my one and only shave soap. I've got some more on order from TVB Shaving, but that original puck seems to be like the Energizer Bunny. It just keeps going and going, and I am a daily shaver.

If Sandalwood is your thing, it matches Geo Trumper Sandalwood EdT perfectly
I use Trumper's Sandalwood Skinfood with Haslinger Sandalwood. Works great too.
I also think people have puck envy which keeps them from trying the teeny Haslinger soaps. It's not the size of the puck that matters.

I used the Haslinger honey last week for the first time, and I used it again today.
Like most people say, the performance is great, not sure about the honey sent though. I might try the sandalwood next. Sandalwood is a favourite scent of mine.

Tossed in a puck of the seaweed scent along with a puck of MWF to an order placed yesterday. This will be a first for both.

Yes, there is no doubt that Haslinger has a great soap. I personally find it in a league of it own. You can whip up a really thick batch with no problem whatsoever.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to post and run, but I was having some issues with my tablet.

Anyway, Haslinger is all I've used since picking up a puck. It hasn't left its place on my bathroom sink, which is unusual. Usually I swap soaps in and out every other shave or so just to keep things fresh, but I think I'll be sticking with Haslinger for quite a while. I'll probably play with it a bit just to see if I can eek out any more performance by playing with the water/soap ratio.

I like the idea some of you had about the different bowls to put it in. Right now I've just got it in a small Pyrex bowl with a plastic lid. Works well enough, but too much of the soap goes down the sides of the puck when I'm trying to load my brush. I'll probably add a bit of water and press it into the bowl as some have suggested.

It is great soap one of the few I got lucky Mitchell's Wool Fat liked it wanted to stay with light sent tallow base soaps and found Schafmilch Rasierseife loved it right away ( the perfect soap for me light clean sent that does not linger supper slick and protective) I have tried Haslinger Aloe Vera (second Favorite) very slick and soothing. Coconut Shave Soap not really as thick and smooth for me and not just trying the Sandalwood Shaving Soap. a great sent. if you have not tried it I can't see you not getting a great shave with it.

The Haslinger schafsmilch and Cella are the best two soaps in my den. The lather, slickness, protection and post shave feel is just phenomenal.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Funny, same exact experience this evening, though I put the scent into the "I loved it instantly" category. Tabac had always been my gold standard for lather, but the Haslingers blows it out of the water. I found myself going for touchups without a second lather and being absolutely shocked at how efficient and slick it was. Now my only question - with a puck so small, what do most people keep it in?
I have several Haslinger's and repurpose them into empty Proraso tubs, simply apply the new label to the lid.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Haslinger. I recently received my first puck of Haslinger (yet to shave with it). I'm quite excited to give it a go after all of the wonderful reviews I have read; this thread being the most recent addition to that ever-growing number. I was a bit surprised at the small size of the puck. Though I had read that it was on the smaller side, I was not expecting it to be quite that small. Nonetheless, all the great mentions and repeat users must mean there is power in that little puck.

The other concern that I had was where to put it. Because of the size, the container I had planned for it is not fit I would like. There are some good suggestions in this thread that I will need to investigate further. I'm particularly attracted to the Col Conk onyx bowls. Now I just need to talk myself into the $30+ for them...

Thanks for sharing your experience with Haslinger. I recently received my first puck of Haslinger (yet to shave with it). I'm quite excited to give it a go after all of the wonderful reviews I have read; this thread being the most recent addition to that ever-growing number. I was a bit surprised at the small size of the puck. Though I had read that it was on the smaller side, I was not expecting it to be quite that small. Nonetheless, all the great mentions and repeat users must mean there is power in that little puck.

The other concern that I had was where to put it. Because of the size, the container I had planned for it is not fit I would like. There are some good suggestions in this thread that I will need to investigate further. I'm particularly attracted to the Col Conk onyx bowls. Now I just need to talk myself into the $30+ for them...

I took a wooden shaving soap bowl, laid one intact puck in the bottom, and put a second puck in my wife's rotary grater that she uses for hard cheeses. (Kind of like what they use at the Olive Garden). The (coarsly) grated Haslinger Schafsmilch easily was pressed into the voids, and came out like a factory filled job. No water needed. I didn't want it to turn mushy, so I just used a little pressing power with the fingers. Plenty of room left for lather.
I do like the idea of repurposed Proraso tubs though. Very creative.
I find the scent very mild and clean. Kind of the Ying to MWF's Yang.

I took a wooden shaving soap bowl, laid one intact puck in the bottom, and put a second puck in my wife's rotary grater that she uses for hard cheeses. (Kind of like what they use at the Olive Garden). The (coarsly) grated Haslinger Schafsmilch easily was pressed into the voids, and came out like a factory filled job. No water needed. I didn't want it to turn mushy, so I just used a little pressing power with the fingers. Plenty of room left for lather.
I do like the idea of repurposed Proraso tubs though. Very creative.
I find the scent very mild and clean. Kind of the Ying to MWF's Yang.

That's an excellent idea and the first time I have read of the suggestion to combine two pucks. That may be what I need to give my current bowl the fit I wanted. I'll get a few shaves done to be sure the Schafsmilch works for me. If it does, a second puck grated around the first may be in order.

Thanks for the recommendation, @ponderosabob!

I grated mine in an Old Spice mug but this particular mug is one of the taller ones. I ordered two more pucks as my badger brush is banging up on the sides of the mug already.

I still give an ever so slight edge to MWF for slickness but the Haslinger is very nice. I dig the scent.......can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of but I get floral and not powder.....light floral with just a hint of some water/aqua scent.....sort of fresh rain on flowers or maybe placing fresh cut roses with baby's breath in a vase with water.

Extremely easy to lather......takes almost no product to whip up a bowl full of lather. Probably going to be my face lather soap from now on.

Top Bottom