What's new

Tabac - the scent - not!

Well, my puck of Tabac arrived.

I've not yet opened the box, but, yes, a very distinctive scent.
An undesirable astringent olfactory assault bordering on caustic.
Anyone else of this opinion?

At this juncture, I see no point in opening the box, 'cause I don't imagine
that I'm gonna like it any more unwrapped -- better to sell it whole.

Thoughts?

- Richard (who's liking his HBS Eucalyptus & Proraso more & more)

I don't think it's a caustic scent, but then I've only ever smelled the ASB. I'm sure one of the tabac-aholics here will gladly purchase it from you thought. :D The ASB was just too...old guy for me to wear, I'm afraid.

Is it possible that, since you haven't opened the box, what you're smelling is not purely Tabac?

Tabac scent is very subtle, slightly soapy, and light. Whether one likes it or not is 100% personal choice - but I would suggest smelling the Tabac, rather than "Tabac whilst in the box" to see for sure.

In either case - opened or not - a Tabacaholic would buy it from you in an instant, no questions asked :smile:

The best descriptor that I have seen so far is one B&B member describing Tabac as smelling like his Grandmother’s makeup drawer.

I am amazed by the fact that some people love the scent – and then there are people that absolutely hate it like you and me. The puck I got was a very strong scent that I can only equate to a Grandmother’s makeup drawer.

Are there two different Tabac soaps out there? Is there a Tabac knockoff? Is there a North America Tabac and a European Tabac?

Definitely a love/hate sort of scent, though I'll submit that experiencing the lather goes a long way toward overcoming any olfactory unpleasantness.

The best descriptor that I have seen so far is one B&B member describing Tabac as smelling like his Grandmother’s makeup drawer.
Ummm ... bingo -- that's pretty much what I'm gettin'. (Very astute for an ex-lurker.)

Definitely a love/hate sort of scent, though I'll submit that experiencing the lather goes a long way toward overcoming any olfactory unpleasantness.
Not for this mother's son.

for me it's a soapy scent, but now that I've been using it and the soap has been exposed to the air the smell is non existant till I start lathering up. Even then it's not what I would call as strong.

Why not open the box and expose it to the air for a couple of days?

It's a great soap by the way.

:lol::lol:

I've never been near any Tabac products but now I know I can save myself the trouble of finding it.

Perhaps the mailperson, fedex, or ups driver was a smoker, and that is what you are smelling.

I just used some that I got yesterday and it is great.

I didn't much care for Tabac's scent either. It wasn't terrible, but with so many other good soaps out there I couldn't justify having one that I'm ambivalent about.

The scent of Tabac fades over time, at least to my nose it does. I got my first puck of Tabac back in April, had two shaves with it and couldn't bear the scent any longer because I thought it was totally offensive. I ended up giving it to my brother-in-law.

Fast forward to a couple of months later, I asked my brother-in-law if he'd be kind enough to let me try it one more time (because I really liked the performance of it, but hated the smell.) Much to my surprise, the Tabac scent was no longer offensive and actually quite nice. Either the scent faded or my nose was lying to me! I never did give the puck back to my brother-in-law (bad, I know! he is a cream guy anyway...) and now it is my go to soap and I'd be happy if I had nothing else but Tabac.

Give it a try!

At this juncture, I see no point in opening the box, 'cause I don't imagine that I'm gonna like it any more unwrapped

I was of a similar opinion when I first opened my Tabac, but the second day was less foul, the third day I actually didn't mind it, and afterwards I was sold. The scent has transformed remarkably in those few days of being open and used... I would even go so far as to say there is presently very little resemblance to the original dry scent whatsoever.

The performance speaks for itself.

IMO:

It's NOT light
It's NOT soapy
It IS like Grandma's makeup drawer mixed with talc and leather

I DO still use it occasionally though.

Throw it on the BST and it'll be taken off of your hands. Too bad you at least didn't get a chance to shave with it. It is one of my top 5 soaps.

Top Bottom