What's new

Oil the Threads of a DE Razor?

Garand M1 Perspex and Nickel Plated Brass Oilers original Restored WWII Cyprus.JPG
Garand M1 Carbine Issued Oiler IS International Silver Full View.JPG
Cap uses Hoppes 9 Oil which is a firearms lubricant. I have used it since his recommendation and all of my Super Speeds no longer chatter when the TTO knob is operated to open or close the blade silo doors. It further coats the inside of the handle barrel to reduce any chance of a catalytic reaction on Black Tip Super Speeds using steel or aluminum parts, and Blue Tip Super Speeds with aluminum handles. This will easily coat the threads on three-piece Gillette Tech razors as well. I use WWII M1 carbine oilers as a vintage applicator, which is overkill, but makes the process fun. Yes- I am a Luddite- not a battery in sight and my 1950's office that I am building will have a laptop computer to help connect with the more modern world, and preserve the ambiance from those less cumbersome times. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I'd go with the Johnson's floor wax I use on my handplanes. Doesn't collect dust or hair.
I'm sure it will work out eventually with heat, but should hold on long enough.

Every few months I use "machine oil" intended for my old electric clippers on my three-piece razors--just a few tiny drops inside the handle, then screw it on the head. I'm in Florida, my razors are kept in the bathroom, and I have yet to see any problems. Granted, I don't have any vintage pieces or special attachments to them.

I use silicone grease on the threads of my R41s. I'm hopeful it will extend the life of the Zamak.

Based on the artist's recommendation, I also plan to oil the threads on my Charcoal Goods machined razor head. I haven't used the razor much yet (although it's my favorite razor), so I haven't greased it yet. I can't recall specifically what Brian recommended, but I've got it on a card he shipped with the razor.

I avoid lithium grease in any application where I might have to look at it regularly. Being white, it tends to look really bad, very quickly.

The heads on the majority of my DE razors (two piece and three piece razors) are chrome plated pot metal. I've never oiled the threads of my razors, but I'm wondering if that would help preserve the life of the these razors. Perhaps adding this to my razor-care routine is going way overboard, but I'm already going far overboard with this hobby. Would oiling the threads on the safety razor significantly help preserve the life of the heads? If oiling the threads is recommended, what oil do you use? I was thinking mineral oil, silicon grease or Vaseline.

If oiling the threads was advisable the manufacturer would include a note to that effect, specifying exactly which oil to use, they don't.

You're falling into the "human" trap. Life's simple, but we feel compelled to make rules and rituals that make it difficult.

That's just my two cents. Do excuse me. I'm having a kinda "rant" evening. :001_rolle

IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG

Tools need maintenance and razors are definitely tools!

Gun oils and other oils are not colorless and smell. I use the really great stuff, high quality sewing machine oil. Applies easily to both the female handle thread and male top cap thread. I apply the sewing machine oil carefully with a Q-tip to all parts occasionally after the razor is fully dried. The brand I really like is SEW-RITE precision machine oil by Kleer-Est. Colorless, odorless. Wonderful stuff.

Also EVERY single new handle I have ever received, either by itself or with a new 3 piece razor, still has the machine shavings from production inside the female thread. This gunks up the thread & connections. It never fails even in my Timeless handle and, believe it or not, my Wolfman WRH2 & WRH7 handles. Some have more than others but it's always there. A few Q-tips will get those shop shavings & gunk out.

Here's an example above of those black shavings extracted with Q-tips from a brand new Baby Smooth. I absolutely love this razor but they all start out with that gunk still in there, even Timeless & Wolfman handles.

Razors are tools too that need maintenance and I love keeping razor parts humming along in great condition.

Last edited:
Just read the packaging for my brand New Merkur, which calls for periodic lubrication of the threads.
Since nothing else is specified, I'm using coal oil twice daily. ;-)

Just a gentle FYI. For a two/three piece razor, plumbers grease also known as valve grease would be an excellent lube. Just a light coat on the threads, water (hot or cold) will not wash away the lube. It will not harm or discolor the plating. We have hard water here in the Midwest, lots of dissolved lime and calcium which coats everything water flows over or through. I've found preventive maintenance easier than restorative work caused by our high mineral deposits in our water. If you live in an area that has softer/cleaner water then this issue may not be a concern.
I have been using a little dab of Superlube silicone grease, applied with a toothpick. The same grease I use to lube the pistons of my fountain pens.

If oiling the threads was advisable the manufacturer would include a note to that effect, specifying exactly which oil to use, they don't.

You're falling into the "human" trap. Life's simple, but we feel compelled to make rules and rituals that make it difficult.

That's just my two cents. Do excuse me. I'm having a kinda "rant" evening. :001_rolle
Says the guy with a PLASTIC RAZOR!! :a9:

Not at all! I'm in love with that thing! I'm just poking at you for no good reason :a30:
I bet it would drive the purists NUTS if they knew it was in my top three. I don't even know how it manages to pack so much umph into such a small form. If I'm being honest, this thing is rough! Not the shave, the quality! Lol. It's on par with Chinese made army men that you buy at the dollar store and I'm the first to proclaim that a razor is a 'precision instrument'. But damn if it doesn't out perform nearly all my other razors and isn't an absolute joy to use! It makes no sense! Hahaha. Nah I love it man. I'm grateful that you nudged me along :thumbup:
You were getting along great with your Phoenix Bakelite too Zig. Have you had a change of heart? :001_unsur

The heads on the majority of my DE razors (two piece and three piece razors) are chrome plated pot metal. I've never oiled the threads of my razors, but I'm wondering if that would help preserve the life of the these razors. Perhaps adding this to my razor-care routine is going way overboard, but I'm already going far overboard with this hobby. Would oiling the threads on the safety razor significantly help preserve the life of the heads? If oiling the threads is recommended, what oil do you use? I was thinking mineral oil, silicon grease or Vaseline.
I found that the threads on my EJ89 did not smoothly engage with the handle, and I also know that those threads are the most common failure for that razor. Oil didn't do much, but a little bit of pipe thread compound (also known as pipe dope) has worked very well for me.

I found that the threads on my EJ89 did not smoothly engage with the handle, and I also know that those threads are the most common failure for that razor. Oil didn't do much, but a little bit of pipe thread compound (also known as pipe dope) has worked very well for me.
That's generally a silicone lubricant, or sometimes a PTFE. That's why I suggested the silicone gasket compound (grease) that's made for salt water resistance. It's clear, so you don't have to look at it all the time :)

IMO, 2-piece or 3-piece razors dont need any kind of oiling. Ive never heard of it, so I dont think its neccesary. It is advisable to oil TTO razors from time to time. It helps to smooth out their operation to put a dab of mineral oil on the collar threads.

Two and three piece razors benefit from it. You never heard of it because you have never heard of it. Guys just don't do it. The first thing to go are the threads. A quality oil will help with longevity. Helps when one has spent over $200 on a quality DE.

That's generally a silicone lubricant, or sometimes a PTFE. That's why I suggested the silicone gasket compound (grease) that's made for salt water resistance. It's clear, so you don't have to look at it all the time :)
Yes, I am using the Rectorseal PTFE sealant. I find it is more durable than the plumbers grease. While it is not clear, it sticks where you put it, so it's only on the threads of the head and is therefore not visible.

Top Bottom