What's new

Technique

Started de about one month ago.
Still getting irritation on neck. But what puzzles me is that skin after about 1/2 hrs feels slightly "raw".
Ej 89, proraso pre, cream, razor plass synthetic, thayers alchol free, prosaro balm. Wilkinson germany blade.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Just so you know I find wilkinsonsword blades to be terrible. Astra superior platinums are a sweet combination of Sharp and smooth. If you are shaving against the grain on the neck, stop. Go with, or across very lightly if you need to get a bit closer. I learned long ago with carts that chasing a baby butt smooth skin is not not not for me. When I learned to get an acceptable shave, my face thanked me.... I always have a bit of stubble on my lower neck, but I don't care. Good luck! And don't give up! DE is king!

As your post header states it's technique; don't chase BBS until your technique is as good as your ambition.

More practice. And really ease up on the pressure.

As stated earlier, I'd say take a look at other blades. YMMV reigns true. Also pay attention to pressure, no need to chase BBS, DFS is amazing.

Lower pressure and shallower angle. Sounds like you may be scraping (steep angle) instead of shaving (shallow angle).

Lower pressure and shallower angle. Sounds like you may be scraping (steep angle) instead of shaving (shallow angle).

+1 This takes time to master.

A different blade may help--some blades give me irritation, others do not, and the brand that works for one gent doesn't necessarily work for another.

Also, resist the temptation (especially on the neck) to go over a spot without lather.

Just so you know I find wilkinsonsword blades to be terrible. Astra superior platinums are a sweet combination of Sharp and smooth. If you are shaving against the grain on the neck, stop. Go with, or across very lightly if you need to get a bit closer. I learned long ago with carts that chasing a baby butt smooth skin is not not not for me. When I learned to get an acceptable shave, my face thanked me.... I always have a bit of stubble on my lower neck, but I don't care. Good luck! And don't give up! DE is king!

+1
I agree about the Wilkinson Sword blades. They pull and tug like crazy on my beard. I personally like Personna Blue Labs, Astra SP and Gillette Silver Blues. Of course, YMMV.

Also, make sure that you are truly shaving WTG on your neck. You may think you're shaving WTG, when in reality you're shaving ATG. Good luck!

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the German Wilkies are the problem as some have mentioned. I have used them for many years and are my hands-down favorite blade. I found the Astras to be terrible. This is where YMMV comes in to play. As BSAGuy suggested above, I would look at your angle and pressure.

Thanks fellas really appreciate the feedback. To get the angle right ive been holding the razor perpendicular to the floor and slowly lowering till i hear it cutting. Ive seen pictures of that on this site. Geofatboy suggests starting with the safety bar against your face and tilting the razor upwards which I find to be a steeper angle. Im only doing two passes one with, and the other across the grain. BBS not interested at this point. I will probably go get some other blades to try , and keep using the same setup. Thanks

I agree re: Wilkinson swords - I find them terrible. I've heard others like them but for me it's been a lot of bad experiences. Astra SP has been great. Tops in my limited experience are the Polsilver iridiums, although they're pricey.

I hear ya, Jason. And I'm through with cartridges too. Long ago I learned that if I wanted an absolutely perfectly baby butt smooth shave, even on the neck, the easiest way to do it is to skip shaving a couple of days, until I have significant stubble. Somehow, it's easier to shave off cleanly then. But that's only for the last 2 percent, and I get a very smooth shave without doing that, so I seldom bother.

Top Bottom