What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

O absolutely! The S1 is a lot milder than the R1. The R1 is much more efficient, but I don't find it to be harsh. In fact, most of the time my R1 is my go to razor.

You're not helping my Wuss complex, nelamvr6. I do pretty well with the S1. The R1 kicks my a_ _ !

Best regards, hoss. Ron I

You're not helping my Wuss complex, nelamvr6. I do pretty well with the S1. The R1 kicks my a_ _ !

Best regards, hoss. Ron I

Hey! Don't be like that! Just about every single aspect of this hobby is a real YMMV situation! Just because I like something doesn't have anything to do with what you like. Everybody's skin is different, everybody's beard is different.

You should just use what works for you. The good news is Stan makes a plate to suit just about everyone.

I remember the first shave with an R1 and I thought I bought the wrong razor for me. I went to the M2 for a while and loved it, then back to the R1 and it was awesome. Thinking I was "graduating" I went to the R2 (awesome) and then the H1... nope. That was so freakin tense. I might as well as been using a straight razor. It's a pretty wild ride. I haven't tried again.

My dad uses the H plate everyday. He loves it. Good for him!

Congrats on your new ATT. It's a wonderful razor to say the least. I've used mine daily for two years now and I never get tired of it. My other razors are pretty much relegated to the occasional shave.

Give us a shave report when you're able.
So I have had a chance to shave with it twice now. My early observation is that the M1 shaves just about as mild as my Mühle R89 but slightly more efficient and slightly smoother.

The biggest difference is that the stainless steel head seems to "stick" less to my face later in the shave than the R89. I suspect that is so because the perfect Chrome plating of the R89 creates a perfectly flat surface which will "catch" against perfectly clean skin. The M1 glides noticeably better across the skin.

Accordingly, the face feels just a little better than when I shave with my R89 and on my second shave, I pretty much got a "bloodless" BBS shave using Mike's Lavendar Soap.

One thing I wonder about is if I could get away with using the more aggressive R1 plate...

How much more aggressive is the R1 compared to the M1?

So I have had a chance to shave with it twice now. My early observation is that the M1 shaves just about as mild as my Mühle R89 but slightly more efficient and slightly smoother.

The biggest difference is that the stainless steel head seems to "stick" less to my face later in the shave than the R89. I suspect that is so because the perfect Chrome plating of the R89 creates a perfectly flat surface which will "catch" against perfectly clean skin. The M1 glides noticeably better across the skin.

Accordingly, the face feels just a little better than when I shave with my R89 and on my second shave, I pretty much got a "bloodless" BBS shave using Mike's Lavendar Soap.

One thing I wonder about is if I could get away with using the more aggressive R1 plate...

That's great you had such a good experience; congrats! IMO there is a lot of difference, way too much for me, in the M & R plates. I do like the S1 plate. I have read that Stan based it on the R plate, but designed out some of the aggressiveness.

I wish you continued success with your new razor. Ron I

That's great you had such a good experience; congrats! IMO there is a lot of difference, way too much for me, in the M & R plates. I do like the S1 plate. I have read that Stan based it on the R plate, but designed out some of the aggressiveness.

i'd agree with this too. The R is quite a jump up from M in aggressiveness.

So the R1 is more aggressive than S1? I thought the site said it opposite...and it sounds like I have no business using any of those plates until I have perfected my technique....

So the R1 is more aggressive than S1? I thought the site said it opposite...and it sounds like I have no business using any of those plates until I have perfected my technique....

I believe some of Stan's older posts indicate that he was trying to perfect a more efficient yet milder razor when he designed the S1 off the R1 plate, and I think he did so. I ,however, have very sensitive skin that is not suited to the R1. It is a very, efficient, implement for those to whom it is suited.

Ron I

I thought my Atlas R1 was a little too aggressive when I first got it 2 years ago (I had been using a 40's style super speed, so pretty mild), but with a little patience I found it to be very efficient, comfortable and enjoy the heft of it to let the razor do the work. It's now become my only DE razor after selling all the others, and never looking back. Doesn't get much better than this.

I bought the atlas with both m1 and r1 heads. I just couldn't decide between the two. my plan is to use the m1 when I want a daily shave and the r1 when I have a couple of days growth. I think these are just premium razors but I still like my Gillette 46-47 aristocrats.

It is confusing. The blade gap is larger as quoted in the website, but you can't compare a slant and a straight by blade gap alone. Because of the slant design for whatever reason the slant doesn't behave as aggressively as the R.

Glad to hear you're finding success with the new ATT. I've hardly touched another razor since I got my first ATT two years ago. Nothing else compares to be honest. I'm the type who prefers to find what works well and stick with it. I'm not interested in a bunch of different razors, brushes, etc. For me once I found the ATT and dialed in on what plate I liked I haven't changed since.

I thought my Atlas R1 was a little too aggressive when I first got it 2 years ago (I had been using a 40's style super speed, so pretty mild), but with a little patience I found it to be very efficient, comfortable and enjoy the heft of it to let the razor do the work. It's now become my only DE razor after selling all the others, and never looking back. Doesn't get much better than this.

I wish I was as experienced and skilled as you...I think I am going to wait before diving into an R1...I am still a relative newbie and the thought of shaving with something far more aggressive than the M1 does intimidate me quite a bit.

It is confusing. The blade gap is larger as quoted in the website, but you can't compare a slant and a straight by blade gap alone. Because of the slant design for whatever reason the slant doesn't behave as aggressively as the R.

Ah....not sure I am ready for a slant yet snce I feel like I am just beginning to master my technique with the standard DE, but eventually, I will have to try it.

I wish I was as experienced and skilled as you...I think I am going to wait before diving into an R1...I am still a relative newbie and the thought of shaving with something far more aggressive than the M1 does intimidate me quite it.

They are indeed good razors.

I really wouldn't be too intimidated by either R1 or S1. By aggressive, we just mean you can feel more of the blade on your skin for the R1 than compared to other milder shavers. But shaving is the same, no pressure, prep and finding a good angle to shave with.

R1 and S1 are both efficient and likely most would have a hard time telling the difference between the two after a shave (i.e. By the closeness of the shave).

Cheers!

Funny way to do business. They send me the wrong order (Kronos M1 instead of Atlas R1) and later contacted me asking if I want to keep that or change it to what I ordered. I sent a message about the difference between razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom