What's new

Valobra scents

I have tried a few valobra products including hard and soft soAps. They all have this same weird fragrance to them so off putting to me that I got rid of them. Anyone find this?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
No, I have no experience with Valobra products.

I'm here early in the morning with you, Chrome.

I've used the Almond soft soap - Its provides wonderful performance once you've dialed it in and the scent is just fine to me. Its a subtle dry almond scent (rather than sweet marzipan), which I do prefer. I've heard the hard soaps and sticks provide some of the best performance going around.

I've never been that picky about scents and always found it difficult to understand how someone could stop using a product due to its scent (YMMV). I've also found that all scents will grow on me - with a few uses, I can suddenly develop an appreciation for its scent (you begin to think that its probably all just a state of mind). I'd recommend you give it a little more time before getting rid of them.

I have two of the hard pucks, the stick and the soft almond soap. The hard soap has a particular scent characteristic that many people find offensive. I can't quite describe it. I prefer the scent of the soap that Valobra makes for Czech & Speake, but the price of the Valobra is lower so that's why I bought it. The performance is stellar and to my nose the scents are subtle.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes- you are referring to "tallow funk." It is noticeable with Valobra soaps, in my opinion.

It's a faint kind of dirty-shirt smell - this what you're talking about?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And tallow funk dissipates if you leave the lid off.

I have the excellent Valobra-made AoS Sandalwood, and Valobra's fougere- great soaps, and a natural product. Other tallow-soap makers have worked around tallow funk, as tallow makes for great soap.

AA

I'd go with the common sense of the common scent(s) of Valobra's tallow product. While I love the functionality of the soap, and it's still in my rotations, Valobra has allowed me to appreciate fragrance work of folk like Barrister and Mann greatly. If I need to buy again before I pass over I think I'll just get their unscented version, (for all the difference I've been able to notice in the three primaries they make today).

I didn't like the scent the Valobra stick at all when I first got it, but after using it a few times I'm beginning to associate the scent with a top notch shave!

I didn't like the scent the Valobra stick at all when I first got it, but after using it a few times I'm beginning to associate the scent with a top notch shave!

My experience as well. I noticed the clay scent in 3 different Valobra hard soaps, but eventually my nose got used it and now it doesn't bother me at all. These soaps are some of the best I've tried and quite worth the effort.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Not my opinion, Gentlemen. Valobra to my nose smells fantastic and I particularly love the "soapy" stick and the Fougere puck. Performance is among the very best in the world. Same thoughts on the quality.

I've used both soft menthol and hard pucks. I never had any complaints about the fragrance or smell. The performance of both are top notch.

Valobra Menthol is one of the absolute finest I have used, to include other big Italian names. Everything about it is perfectly dialed in!!

I have tried a few valobra products including hard and soft soAps. They all have this same weird fragrance to them so off putting to me that I got rid of them. Anyone find this?

Not me.

I find Valobra an outstanding product, the underlying scent of which somehow reminds me of a glass of warm milk.

B.

Last edited:
I use the Valobra Fougere sometimes. I can identify with that "weird" smell. Probably because of the tallow but then again I dont see why Valobra should have it when other tallow soaps don't. At least none that I can recall at the moment.

Anyways it can be a bit distracting to what is otherwise an excellent soap.

I have each of the Valobra scents and also C&S #88, and AOS tallow Sandalwood. The only scent I was disappointed with was the AOS, probably because I bought old stock from eBay and the scent was non-existent. The Valobra scents and the C&S are mild but excellent. Performance is just outstanding. Valobra remains in my top 5 not necessarily because of scent but performance. It is the best the shaving world has to offer. I love Mdc, Nuavia, Xpec, Tabac, and Haslingers also but Valobra performs just as well.

Top Bottom