What's new

Newbie Here- Feeling defeated and frustrated

I hope this is the appropriate forum but I am a DE user for a while. I received my fatboy a few weeks ago and after a handful of shaves and different blades, I can not seem to get an irritation free shave with it. Naturally I am feeling defeated. I have used an open comb DE before that was a Merkur 25C and got used to that , but I seem to think my blade angle is off. Short of snapping pictures of how I'd normally shave on my neck , what tips do you have for a newbie regarding blade angle? I know most people seem to think 45 degrees is most optimal for this razor... :blush:

I would try different angles to see what works best for you. Once you find out an angle that is comfortable, you can adjust slightly from that point to see what is most effective.

Sent via mobile - Chris

To find the correct shaving angle put the razor perpendicular to your face, that is the head/doors are flat against your face. Tilt the razor down slightly and start your stroke. If you don't feel the razor cutting whiskers tilt the handle further down till you do.
Irritation is usually due to apply pressure and or going over an area without lubrication or too many times.

In my experience, when it comes to DE's the best results come from the least amount of pressure. When frustration is at it highest I would make a lather that is almost TOO wet and thin to stay in place (it gets pretty slick at that point), hold the razor at the furthest point from the head that is comfortable and stable but lets the head pivot like it is pendulum ...and just drag the razor across my STRETCHED skin with only enough pressure to keep the head of the razor in controlled contact. With a thin and slick lather and a pendulum like hold you can hear or feel the whisker being engaged and removed then make note of that angle.

I know my personal tendency when things get hairy or I can't feel things happening (as in, the shave is going well but I don't know it OR I have a bad angle) is to push harder and harder. Don't. Good lather and COLD water go along way to help neck irritation too.

What do you have the Fatboy set on? It could be a combination of what has already been suggested and the Blade gap you have set being a bit too aggressive

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
First things first. Have you checked the razor over to make sure that the blade gap is even or that the doors line up correctly, etc.? I have a Slim that I received with one of the safety bars slightly bent (ever so slightly). It took me a few shaves to realize that was the reason why I wasn't getting great shaves from it.

Jumping from a Merkur to a vintage Gillette might need you to change how you're holding the razor, along with your blade angle. I choke up real high on the handle when I shaving with a Merkur and not as much with a Gillette.

It's probably a good idea to stick with one or two types of blades until you figure the razor out. Eliminate the variables. Astra SP blades are my favorite in all of my vintage Gillettes, while I prefer Feather blades in my Merkurs. So, what you like in your 25C might not be the best for your Fatboy.

Keep us posted.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer to your question. You must try to find the angle that works best for you. This will take both time and patience. Good luck!

I hope this is the appropriate forum but I am a DE user for a while. I received my fatboy a few weeks ago and after a handful of shaves and different blades, I can not seem to get an irritation free shave with it. Naturally I am feeling defeated. I have used an open comb DE before that was a Merkur 25C and got used to that , but I seem to think my blade angle is off. Short of snapping pictures of how I'd normally shave on my neck , what tips do you have for a newbie regarding blade angle? I know most people seem to think 45 degrees is most optimal for this razor... :blush:

I completely understand your frustration. I had tried, and gotten proficient, with a handful of DE's before trying a Fatboy. It was very tough for me to get a handle on it due to it's size and the different settings each seemed to require their own angle. I believe this razor just takes some extra time to get under control.

For me its not so much the razor as it is the level of slickness in the soap. My best shave ever was 4 days ago, with a 37c, new blade I've nevere tried before, and sheeps milk soap, raslich something. Four shaves later with same setup, and I am 1out 4 BBS.

What do you have the Fatboy set on? It could be a combination of what has already been suggested and the Blade gap you have set being a bit too aggressive

I have had it set no higher than a 4 because otherwise I get nicks and weepers.

How does one check this? I know when I engage the butterly doors, one of the doors definitely lags a over the other. I never thought this can affect the shave though...

First things first. Have you checked the razor over to make sure that the blade gap is even or that the doors line up correctly, etc.? I have a Slim that I received with one of the safety bars slightly bent (ever so slightly). It took me a few shaves to realize that was the reason why I wasn't getting great shaves from it.

Jumping from a Merkur to a vintage Gillette might need you to change how you're holding the razor, along with your blade angle. I choke up real high on the handle when I shaving with a Merkur and not as much with a Gillette.

It's probably a good idea to stick with one or two types of blades until you figure the razor out. Eliminate the variables. Astra SP blades are my favorite in all of my vintage Gillettes, while I prefer Feather blades in my Merkurs. So, what you like in your 25C might not be the best for your Fatboy.

Keep us posted.

I have had it set no higher than a 4 because otherwise I get nicks and weepers.

Ok, ruling that out, as 4 is a fairly mild setting, the above mentioned items are probably the culprit, and a very good place to start. Good Luck, you will get it mastered

The only advice I can give is, if you find something that works, stick with it. While I had no problem shaving with my SuperSpeeds or Merkur 34, I did not like shaving with fatboys, aristocrats, EJ Barley & some others and got rid of them . The Slim wasn't as bad, but I even gave that one away. While I kept a SS and a Tech as emergency backups, the only DE I've used in the past 3 years is the 34.

Even the Merkur 24C was too aggressive for my neck and that's supposed to be a very mild razor. I really am at the point where I am going to give it a shot with a VERY overly mild DE razor like a Bevel and give that a chance. Last shave I had that was very good was with a Feather set at 1 on the Fatboy and it got BBS but that gave me irritation.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Plenty of good advice above.

The doors should close dead flat. If not, the safety bar is likely bent from the razor being dropped.

Take a look at the ends with the razor set on 1. All four corners should look the same -- same location and distance of the safety bar from the doors. When the base plate is bent, the doors can be held open. This will do a number of things, including cause the blade to stick out at the wrong angle.

Only one side may be affected.

I had one so badly bent the doors "popped" when they opened and closed, easy to fix with some smooth jaw pliers.

Peter

Looks even to me, all I notice is when I open and close the TTO feature, one door on one side lags a bit over theo ther.

The doors should close dead flat. If not, the safety bar is likely bent from the razor being dropped.

Take a look at the ends with the razor set on 1. All four corners should look the same -- same location and distance of the safety bar from the doors. When the base plate is bent, the doors can be held open. This will do a number of things, including cause the blade to stick out at the wrong angle.

I had one so badly bent the doors "popped" when they opened and closed, easy to fix with some smooth jaw pliers.

Peter

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
How does one check this? I know when I engage the butterly doors, one of the doors definitely lags a over the other. I never thought this can affect the shave though...

I don't think it should matter if one door lags while closing it as long as both line up correctly once it's closed. As far as checking the gaps and safety bars and door alignment are concerned, psfred nailed it. VVV

Peter

I think the last 4 days alone you've commented in every thread I have made :lol:

BSAGuy likes to keep that Hall of Fame plenty full. :001_smile

Top Bottom