What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" - December 12th - December 18, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late night shave.....

$20161216_231415.jpg

1. Futur with Voshkod (nice and smooth)
2. VDH luxury shave soap & shave mug (works nicely, thank you)
3. WSP Black Badger brush
4. UrbanXY pre-shave oil
5. Dr. Carvers Shave balm
6. Canoe AS (oh yeah!)

Have a great evening Gents.... And Happy Holidays! And to you Sir Ron, what can be said that hasn't been said already? Have a wonderful and blessed Holiday season. And may this thread continue with great photos and treats for all to enjoy. You are the MAN!

It has mediocre performance. I remember it being better. The lather was thick but it wasn't dense. It seemed light. I believe this affected the protection. I tried loading more, but it didn't help. To be fair, I just finished an extended period of using Valobra Cologne. I may have been spoiled by that great soap. :biggrin1:

Yeah, I think that's probably what happened. I'll keep that in mind because I received a tub of Valobra Cologne last week. I'm looking forward to using it.

Late night shave.....

Click here to view quoted image.

1. Futur with Voshkod (nice and smooth)
2. VDH luxury shave soap & shave mug (works nicely, thank you)
3. WSP Black Badger brush
4. UrbanXY pre-shave oil
5. Dr. Carvers Shave balm
6. Canoe AS (oh yeah!)

Have a great evening Gents.... And Happy Holidays! And to you Sir Ron, what can be said that hasn't been said already? Have a wonderful and blessed Holiday season. And may this thread continue with great photos and treats for all to enjoy. You are the MAN!

Well, thank you, Gus.

@Smooth Steve - Quite a zesty looking shave, Steve. Like the lemons.

@Smooth Steve - The ugly sweater is a great backdrop for your shave, Steve. Like the intruding cat's paw. I keep thinking about giving one of the Booster aftershaves a try.

I am one of those Arko fans - love the lemons - artificial or real!

I never tried Booster until this Mosswood. I went with Joe's recommendation at the Italian Barber. The scent is great. It reminds me of the barber shop when I was a kid. It just don't last long, but it works well. I'd buy it again for sure. Definitely worth trying and mixing in the den.

Steve

Thanks, Ron. And that was a cool looking brush you had yesterday!

Thanks. I thought it was pretty sharp myself. It's a great performer. I saw one similar in a shave video and messaged John Michaud saying something like, "You made a brush for ... I'd like to have one like that." He was happy to comply with one that was tweaked just a bit.

I am one of those Arko fans - love the lemons - artificial or real!

I never tried Booster until this Mosswood. I went with Joe's recommendation at the Italian Barber. The scent is great. It reminds me of the barber shop when I was a kid. It just don't last long, but it works well. I'd buy it again for sure. Definitely worth trying and mixing in the den.

Steve

Thanks for the recommendation, Steve.

The cream is very nice. It got great protection and glide and I like the scent too - hard to describe as it doesn't have a particular fragrance, but very nice and "round".
It is actually quite hard and would do well in a tin.

That's good to know, Søren. I'm thinking about ordering a tube.

How do you like the Darkfall?

I love my L&L soaps. I have the Trismegistus and just ordered the TSM Fougere. They, along with Barrister and Mann and Mike's Naturals they are my favorite artisan soaps.

It is really a fine soap. I love its dark, mysterious aroma. I also have Trismegistus and TSM Fougere, though I haven't used the latter. I plan on getting a couple more.

12/17/16 Cirque Du Soleil Ovo Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Cellar Door Bath Supply Co Haunted Woods Soap
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Dirty Glow Soap
Local Gents Clown Fruit Artisan Shave Soap
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm Brush
Crown King Dual Chamber Scuttle
iKon X3 Slant Razor
Derby Extra Blade – 3rd Shave
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Clown Fruit Artisan Aftershave/Cologne
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Clown Fruit Artisan Post Shave Balm
$IMG_1059.jpg

Friday was true to form: excellence wherever I looked. Stunning photographs and illuminating depictions of the daily ritual we hold so dear.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your exceptional contributions in pictures and words. All are appreciated.

@skypsyd - Like your presentation immensely, Dave. The lying and propped elements provide an interesting perspective. Love the brush!
@Thalasos - Excellent close-in vertical. Vibrant colors. Beautiful razor.
@Mostho - Two fine photos, Stefano, both with a misty soft focus and a dominant color theme. Nicely done.
@carm-gs - Like this askew layout. Quite attractive. Neat brush handle. What razor did you use?
@Clint64 - Lovely close up. Fine commentary. The Calypso is a very attractive razor.
@CaptainGreybeard - Two in a row is hard to beat! I need to try that Valobra cream.
@UngerWoo - Really quite an attractive design to your layout.
@Cash_Stronomer - This is a dark beauty: the stark razor and partly shadowed brush, the cracked wooden rest with a touch of green, the angular piece in the near background, and a pervasive, deep brooding tone.
@Dagwoodz - Nice bloom on the Stirling, Josh. How did you like the Stella Alpina soap and aftershave?
@cmh737 - What an attractive picture, Chris. Nicely composed. The backdrop color is perfect.
@caus24 - Neat photo. Love your blade rest. Nice looking shave!
@Doug57 - Fine setup, Doug. Like the varied background.
@lindyhop66 - A very appealing photo. Spot on lighting.
@shm - Another classy photo, Søren. After being haunted by the prancing horses in your SOTDs I'm now the proud owner of bottles of both the red and the black!
@cruise_bone - Sorry about the shave. At least you got a good photo out of it! Love the close arrangement, severe cropping, and bowl placement.
@doc47 - Handsome layout, Dan. Always love to see Florida Water.
@SCshaver - Excellent low angle shot. The elements indicate a great shave. Good luck with your Wolfman adventure. Hope you find the key; I've only heard raves about the razor.
@blexa - Quite an eye-catcher! That Wolf Whiskers is a gem; love the swirling.
@Bobcat - What was the Sweendy Todd like, Bob? I don't think I've see it before.
@azwetshaver - A fetching overhead pic, Gabe.
@jmudrick - Comely close up. Hope you got a good shave from the Shake Sharp.
@PACO GALAN - Wonderful alignment of your elements. I use plate 6 on my Rockwell 6s also. It's my favorite DE now.
@xxlpack - I like the overlay of your listing onto the photo. It's another aspect of the image
@sarimento1 - A striking close up, Murray. The lighting and colors give the photo warmth and it almost glows.
@ram57 - Arresting photo of a interesting shave. Great looking scuttle. How did you like the Schick C2?
@samlark - Marvelous high angle shot of a fine array, Sammy. How did the soap perform?
@EzraCobb - Jamie, the wash of light simulates age on the photo as if it were taken when the razor and after shave were new, the illusion of which is enhanced by the film frame.
@CT23 - Another exceptional photo, Chris. The lighting is so perfect and the setting is gorgeous.
@Hanover - Neat display, Mark. The Vorpal is a beauty!
@Peter_A - Good to see you back, Peter. The ATT looks quite distinctive with that handle. How do you like the Cade cream?
@sandstone - Striking b&w, Phil. Love the shadowing in the lower portion of the photo.
@Smooth Steve - Talk about a moody picture. The play of light and shadows is captivating. Like the subtle coloration.
@GlazedBoker - Nice looking set up, Gus. I don't have a black badger brush and I keep meaning to pick one up. Do you like the WSP brush? I have two WSPs, a best badger and silver tip.

Time for me to shuffle off to bed, gents. Be seeing you....

Last edited:

@skypsyd - Like your presentation immensely, Dave. The lying and propped elements provide an interesting perspective. Love the brush!

Thanks Ron. Matt DeRuiter has done three brushes for me. Does great work and the Game Changer Black Synthetic knot is a great performer. Thanks again, and have a good Saturday

@Dagwoodz - Nice bloom on the Stirling, Josh. How did you like the Stella Alpina soap and aftershave?

It's a wonderful scent! Yesterday I wasn't able to get the greatest of lathers with it, albeit still good enough to get BBS. I'm horrible at describing scents, but the scent chart on their website lists Lemon, Bergamot, and Basil as top notes; Cistus, Myrtle, Eucalyptus as body notes; and Cypress and Amber as base notes. I can definitely smell all of the top notes...quite nice!

Saturday's Shave
Shawer + CBLindsay's Hillbilly Mojito pre-shave lather & rinse

Klas Tornblom 4/8
Doug Korn D7 translucent rootbeer TGN Finest
Blades Grim Smoulder shave soap
Swiss Pitralon aftershave splash
Imaginary Author's Bulls Blood EdP

proxy.php

Have a nice Saturday Gentlemen

SOTD - Saturday, 17 December, 2016 – Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina

Prep: Hot Shower | Eucalyptus and Spearmint soap
Pre-shave: Musgo Real Lima Glyce pre-shave soap | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: Jernbolaget 5/8” Square Point
Brush: Stirling 24mm Finest Fan w/ Butterscotch barber’s handle
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina Aftershave
Fragrance: Penhaligon’s English Fern
Album of the Day: Sugarcult - Light’s Out
Song of the Day: Do It Alone
$SOTD20161217.jpg
A wonderful start to the weekend everyone!

Razor: Wacker Jungmeister
Strop: Kanayama
Scuttle\Bowl: SWK
Soap: Mama Bear Turkish Mocha
Brush: Semogue
Aftershave: Clubman SR
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Clubman
$IMG_5792.jpg

Friday was true to form: excellence wherever I looked. Stunning photographs and illuminating depictions of the daily ritual we hold so dear.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your exceptional contributions in pictures and words. All are appreciated.

@Thalasos - Excellent close-in vertical. Vibrant colors. Beautiful razor.
@Mostho - Two fine photos, Stefano, both with a misty soft focus and a dominant color theme. Nicely done.
@carm-gs - Like this askew layout. Quite attractive. Neat brush handle. What razor did you use?
@Clint64 - Lovely close up. Fine commentary. The Calypso is a very attractive razor.
@CaptainGreybeard - Two in a row is hard to beat! I need to try that Valobra cream.
@UngerWoo - Really quite an attractive design to your layout.
@Cash_Stronomer - This is a dark beauty: the stark razor and partly shadowed brush, the cracked wooden rest with a touch of green, the angular piece in the near background, and a pervasive, deep brooding tone.
@cmh737 - What an attractive picture, Chris. Nicely composed. The backdrop color is perfect.
@caus24 - Neat photo. Love your blade rest. Nice looking shave!
@Doug57 - Fine setup, Doug. Like the varied background.
@lindyhop66 - A very appealing photo. Spot on lighting.
@shm - Another classy photo, Søren. After being haunted by the prancing horses in your SOTDs I'm now the proud owner of bottles of both the red and the black!
@cruise_bone - Sorry about the shave. At least you got a good photo out of it! Love the close arrangement, severe cropping, and bowl placement.
@doc47 - Handsome layout, Dan. Always love to see Florida Water.
@SCshaver - Excellent low angle shot. The elements indicate a great shave. Good luck with your Wolfman adventure. Hope you find the key; I've only heard raves about the razor.
@blexa - Quite an eye-catcher! That Wolf Whiskers is a gem; love the swirling.
@Bobcat - What was the Sweendy Todd like, Bob? I don't think I've see it before.
@azwetshaver - A fetching overhead pic, Gabe.
@jmudrick - Comely close up. Hope you got a good shave from the Shake Sharp.
@PACO GALAN - Wonderful alignment of your elements. I use plate 6 on my Rockwell 6s also. It's my favorite DE now.
@xxlpack - I like the overlay of your listing onto the photo. It's another aspect of the image
@sarimento1 - A striking close up, Murray. The lighting and colors give the photo warmth and it almost glows.
@ram57 - Arresting photo of a interesting shave. Great looking scuttle. How did you like the Schick C2?
@samlark - Marvelous high angle shot of a fine array, Sammy. How did the soap perform?
@EzraCobb - Jamie, the wash of light simulates age on the photo as if it were taken when the razor and after shave were new, the illusion of which is enhanced by the film frame.
@CT23 - Another exceptional photo, Chris. The lighting is so perfect and the setting is gorgeous.
@Peter_A - Good to see you back, Peter. The ATT looks quite distinctive with that handle. How do you like the Cade cream?
@sandstone - Striking b&w, Phil. Love the shadowing in the lower portion of the photo.
@Smooth Steve - Talk about a moody picture. The play of light and shadows is captivating. Like the subtle coloration.
@GlazedBoker - Nice looking set up, Gus. I don't have a black badger brush and I keep meaning to pick one up. Do you like the WSP brush? I have two WSPs, a best badger and silver tip.

Time for me to shuffle off to bed, gents. Be seeing you....
Thank you Ron for your comments. And yes, I do like my WSP black badger. I have 3 badgers, the WSP black, Hibco pure and a VDH best. And I prefer the WSP out of the 3. For me it strikes a good balance between a good broken in boar brush, like my Semogue 1305, yet it still has a good softness and scrithiness that gets me a good lather from any soap I use. A little on the small side. But she gets it done quite well. I look forward to getting a Silvertip from WSP. I have an eye out for 2 of their brushes, the "Duchess", and the "Earl". They look magnificent and luxurious. My only problem is getting them past the misses. She's a pistol I tell ya.

Thanks Ron :thumbup:

Thank you very much Ron.
I will not be held responsible for your purchases - but they are good choices in my opinion.
The Black is my favourite of the Ferrari scents, the only one I won't order again is the Passion, the scent is just too strange for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom