What's new

Egg poachers.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Do those little silicone cups really work?

I love me some Eggs Benedict and need a neater way to poach the little devils.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It isn't bad enough they're poaching rhinos and elephants. Now eggs?

Just crack them into a ramekin and gently slide them into a shallow pan a slowly simmering water spiked with some salt and vinegar.

1. boil water 2. begin vigorously whisking water until it is spinning rapidly 3. drop precracked egg into vortex. The spinning causes the egg white to congeal around the yolk.

Yes. My wife uses them, but I just bought a plastic tray thing that I pop in a microwave for about a minute and a half. Works great, quicker and easier then the other contraption. By the way, my wife likes her method. I liken it to carts vs DE wet shaving. In this case, I took the fast and easy cart route, she chose the art.

A guy that used to work for me just used a mug and some water on top of the egg. He would pop it in the microwave and he claimed that worked well also.

A suggestion in Michael Ruhlman's egg book is to strain the raw egg into a slotted spoon before the water, all the dangly bits fall through, escape before you slip the remainder into the water, your poach is a much prettier egg. Haven't tried it but i'm going to.

dave

I like the Julia Child method. Boil water and poke a hole in shell with a thumbtack and dunk for ~10 seconds. Lower heat and crack eggs into water to poach eggs as usual.

Proteins in outer white start to bind and hold everything together .

It isn't bad enough they're poaching rhinos and elephants. Now eggs?

Just crack them into a ramekin and gently slide them into a shallow pan a slowly simmering water spiked with some salt and vinegar.
If I only have a couple of eggs to poach I do this. If I have a few dozen to a few cases I'll set up a collander or a perforated hotel pan inside another large hotel pan. :)

I don't miss large brunches...

Cheat. Tear off a piece of cling film (Glad Wrap) and oil it lightly, then put it loosely over a cup. Break the egg into the cling film, gather up the edges and twist, then poach as normal.

If you're poaching an egg directly in the water you should add vinegar but NOT salt. Salt thins the albumen and causes the egg to spread.

Cheat. Tear off a piece of cling film (Glad Wrap) and oil it lightly, then put it loosely over a cup. Break the egg into the cling film, gather up the edges and twist, then poach as normal.
And for the avoidance of lawsuits, I recommend you remove the cling film before consuming :001_rolle

I've tried the vinegar, salt and swirl methods. I wan't happy with any of the results.

I bought some of the silicon egg poachers. I like them and they work well BUT you have to have a pan deep enough for them to float just off the bottom AND with a lid.

If they don't float, too much water gets into the poacher because they tip over.
If you don't lid the pan, they don't poach properly because there's not enough heat on the top of the egg.
I have a glass pan about 4 or 5 inches deep. It works well but it took some practice to get the water level right.

The eggs poach in about 5 minutes.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Tried them this morning. Seven minutes was 99% perfect poached eggs (just a very little bit of runny yolk). Quick, easy, and no mess. Very cool concept.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Poached eggs in a muffin tin makes great poached eggs. The guess work is eliminiated for the most part. You just decide on a firm or looser yolk.

Place muffin tin into oven and turn it on with temperature set to 350. Once the temp. is reached pull tin out and put 1 tablespoon of water into each cup (a little more if it is a big egg). Crack eggs into each cup where there is water and back into oven for 8-10 minutes for loose yolk or 10-13 for firmer yolk. It works like a charm every time. You may adjust the amount of water for each.

Just out of the oven

$IMG_1035.jpg

I've been going directly into the water since I was little. We got a teflon poacher at one point, which worked for a while then began to stick. Nothing worse than broken poached eggs.

Poached eggs in a muffin tin makes great poached eggs. The guess work is eliminiated for the most part. You just decide on a firm or looser yolk.

Place muffin tin into oven and turn it on with temperature set to 350. Once the temp. is reached pull tin out and put 1 tablespoon of water into each cup (a little more if it is a big egg). Crack eggs into each cup where there is water and back into oven for 8-10 minutes for loose yolk or 10-13 for firmer yolk. It works like a charm every time. You may adjust the amount of water for each.

Just out of the oven

View attachment 702698

Looks perfect Aaron! Is there a surefire means of getting them out of the tin intact?

dave

Top Bottom