What's new

Flying luxury private jets to beg for money?

So you think that the three CEO's running these car companies that are literally on the brink of disaster and are making crucial decisions minute by minute to try and save their companies should have driven the 12 hours from Detroit to DC? That would have been the best use of their time? Not to mention the fact that it is corporate policy that the top two or three executives travel by corporate jet rather than commercial for time saving and security purposes...

No but it would have been symbolic. The same way if they would have flown commercial. At least it would have shown that they were cognizant of money spent. Their organizations would not have suffered because of their organizational structures.

Do they really need to go to Washington in the first place?

Teleconferencing, video conferencing, webcasts, (or a simple phone call) etc can be done for a fraction of the cost. They can also reduce the amount of pollution created by traveling.

So you think that the three CEO's running these car companies that are literally on the brink of disaster and are making crucial decisions minute by minute to try and save their companies should have driven the 12 hours from Detroit to DC? That would have been the best use of their time? Not to mention the fact that it is corporate policy that the top two or three executives travel by corporate jet rather than commercial for time saving and security purposes...

Yes, stick to the same policies and procedures that got them in this whole mess to begin with. That's surely to bring about the kind of change needed/required in the industry.

We must, after all, stick to corporate policy when on the brink of supposed bankruptcy.

Security purposes, please...

When you're begging for $25 billion, optics are important - especially when management's contribution to the current situation is being debated.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So you think that the three CEO's running these car companies that are literally on the brink of disaster and are making crucial decisions minute by minute to try and save their companies should have driven the 12 hours from Detroit to DC?

You betcha. They should have showed up in a new hybrid, or a Volt, and demonstrated that they made the trip efficiently and without problems, something they've been less than successful in convincing the public is possible. As is, they give every appearance that their main concern is maintaining their lifestyle.

Not to mention the fact that it is corporate policy that the top two or three executives travel by corporate jet rather than commercial for time saving and security purposes...

Oh, corporate policy. It's alright, then. Sorry, I really didn't want the lobster for lunch, but rules are rules. Who the hell do you think writes those policies?

I can see about the security part, as they've made as many enemies as they've made paupers.

Ford Europe is the only thing that can save Ford US. Probably too late for them to see that.

A big problem is the way American companies have built cars. Very little is modular, very little can be changed on the fly. Makes it very difficult to adapt quickly. Something foreign auto makers do well.

I'm sure each of these guys have a Blackberry and cell phone. It would have been a great symbolic gesture to drive one of their efficient vehicles.

If the auto-workers end up without jobs, (many husbands and wives in the same industry), they should take a stretch limo to the soap kitchen. That's how redisulous I think it is.

I think the execs were thumbing their noses at the already strapped taxpayers. There is a huge differance in the cost of commercial vs. private. Will they be good stewarts of taxpayer funding, doesn't look likely.

History is the best predictor of future behaviour.
Sue

whether it's the automaker's corporate policy or not, it was a poor choice of travel when you're asking for lots of money.

These guys are all rich. I don't just mean RICH, I mean RICH.

Is it any surprise that they live in such a dream world of privelege and wealth that they genuinely didn't stop to think about how it would look to fly a private jet ($20,000 trip costs) to ask for a handout? It doesn't surprise me. And when your ego and self-entitlement is so vast, the idea of seeing your own situation from other's point of view is a completely alien thought.

That was awful, they show how the NorthWest flight which would have taken them into Washington in the same amount of time cost $288. It's purely a matter of corporate entitlement, there's no justification for it.

They've come to beg for taxpayer money while they throw it into a bonfire as fast as they possibly can.

I think it's absolutely essential for the future of these companies and the economy to let them go into Chpt. 11 so that they come out of it as completely different companies.

I know it will cost jobs, but when you're spending public money to maintain jobs, it defeats the entire purpose of economic development eventually.

The big 3 are all completely broken business models. They have a product line which nobody wants, and they are hamstringed by decades of labour contracts which force them to pay unskilled workers rediculously inflated wages.

I'm very glad they've cancelled voting on this bailout.

Oh, I'm sorry...I just popped in here and saw this discussion...thought maybe my minister would be boarding the plane....

I'll go back to Linux now.:lol::lol::lol:

These guys are all rich. I don't just mean RICH, I mean RICH.

Is it any surprise that they live in such a dream world of privelege and wealth that they genuinely didn't stop to think about how it would look to fly a private jet ($20,000 trip costs) to ask for a handout? It doesn't surprise me. And when your ego and self-entitlement is so vast, the idea of seeing your own situation from other's point of view is a completely alien thought.

Rob Gettlefinger (sp?) isn't rich. If I remember right, the UAW head makes just over $90,000/year. Nice, but not RICH territory. He did seem to wear a nice suit, though. I am guessing that he did fly on of the corporate private jets.

Having said that, it was terrible PR move taking the private jets. My sister in Michigan said even the locals are embarrassed about it. You can make a case is was a more economical move, but it won't wash with public.

Sad to say, the American Auto industry is run a pack of dufuss' with their heads firm planted in the rears and have been for years. The free market is rendering a verdict and they just won't listen to it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a number of their "corporate polcies" that have gotten them into the messes they are in today. These guys really just don't get it. They are more than willing to make their debt public, but I don't think they would or will be so willing to share profit with the general, taxpaying public if things were bright for them.

Top Bottom