What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Anyone have a good method or craftsman to polish the ATT? I recently acquired an ATT and it's by and far my favorite razor. This will never leave my den and I hope to soon have the entire collection.

I recently received a R1 baseplate to go along with my Atlas M1 and I have to say, I don't even bother using my other razors anymore since getting these. M1 is my daily go-to and I use R1 when I go more than a few days without a shave.

This razor is so well built I wouldn't be surprised if it outlives me.

I do precisely the same thing. M1 during the week, and R1 Sunday night after a couple of days growth.

Anyone have a good method or craftsman to polish the ATT? I recently acquired an ATT and it's by and far my favorite razor. This will never leave my den and I hope to soon have the entire collection.

I haven't tried it myself, as I enjoy a bit of patina, but the supermarket does sell stainless steel polish for appliances and such. I don't see why that wouldn't be just as good for the razors. As another poster informed be getting the glue residue from feather blades off a bit of alcohol works wonders.

I haven't tried it myself, as I enjoy a bit of patina, but the supermarket does sell stainless steel polish for appliances and such. I don't see why that wouldn't be just as good for the razors. As another poster informed be getting the glue residue from feather blades off a bit of alcohol works wonders.

I clean mine every couple weeks with a toothbrush and dish soap, and it keeps the soap and blade-wax buildup under control.

I think I might switch to Astras purely because it saves time cleaning all of the goop. People might kill me to say this, but I can't tell much difference between Feathers and Astras.

I do precisely the same thing. M1 during the week, and R1 Sunday night after a couple of days growth.

Very similar except I use the M2 on a Kronos handle and then switch to atlas R1 when over a days growth. Great shaves! Which blades do you normally use in your ATTs? Been getting great shaves in M2 + Polslivers & R1 + Gillette 7OC yellows.

I think I might switch to Astras purely because it saves time cleaning all of the goop. People might kill me to say this, but I can't tell much difference between Feathers and Astras.

While I find the glue on Feather blades annoying, mainly because it can make it tricky to get the wrapper off, I never had a problem with it gunking up my razors. Maybe that's because I am in the habit of removing the blade and rinsing the blade and razor parts under warm tap water after each use, but this is something I have always done regardless of razor or type of blade used, and I don't find it burdensome. I can see how the glue and soap could form a sticky residue after a while.

Very similar except I use the M2 on a Kronos handle and then switch to atlas R1 when over a days growth. Great shaves! Which blades do you normally use in your ATTs? Been getting great shaves in M2 + Polslivers & R1 + Gillette 7OC yellows.

I find my M1 performs extremely well with Gillette 7OC PermaSharps, Voskhods, Astra SPs or Polsilvers. I use about the same blades when I use the R1.

I use the Personna Med Preps. I've been going back and forth between the Med Preps and the Lab blues. Like the Med Preps for slightly better consistency, though they both shave well. (I also like the Made in USA).

I have actually talked to the guys at the shop about that. We would bore out most of the center to reduce the weight. they had some good ideas and were ready to go. I just was not ready to pull the trigger yet. May actually look into it again for 2017.

Do you think you will just sell the handles so customer can add whatever bristles they want, or would you sell them all put together?

Stan,
I've recently received an SE1 and on the base plate where the pass through cuts are, bottom side (exposed side when assembled) there's a bit of sharp edge closest to the bar.

I'm wondering if a bit of hard wood block could smooth it down enough to not send it home for a touch up... or what would you suggest? I noticed it the other day while admiring the workmanship and am just enough concerned in desire to not have a few "paper cut" type wounds appear out of nowhere. If wood wouldn't do, are we speaking of the same hardness of steel in the handles? I could use that as a burnish block and see what comes.

Do you want to polish it as in remove finger prints, or do you want to polish it so it has a permanent mirror finish? I have an S1 and I polished the head so it is as shiny as the shiniest chrome plated razor, literally has a mirror finish. It might be my imagination but I believe the razor glides over my face a bit easier after polishing it. If you have a Dremel tool you can use;

https://www.amazon.com/PHYHOO-Mount...045160&sr=8-17&keywords=dremel+polishing+tool

and

https://www.amazon.com/1-Ounce-Poli...5&keywords=stainless+steel+polishing+compound

I can't speak to the quality of the exact products I posted, just showing them as an example of whats needed. If you do some searches you will find many varieties.

Cheers!

I recently go into ATT and I love the quality. I get great results from the R2, but it is uncomfortable. I know the R1 has the same blade gap, but is it more comfortable.

I have both S1 and S2. The S1 is more comfortable than the S2. Just wondering if this translates to the R and M baseplates as well.

I've been experimenting with a system now for a little while. I have every ATT plate except for the R2 plate.

Each morning, I start out with an H plate and do one pass WTG. Then, I pick up the S2 razor and do the second and third passes. The results have been incredible. Smooth, BBS shaves every morning.

Using the H plates do provide a longer-lasting shave. But somehow, I am really enjoying the second and third passes being done with a less aggressive plate.

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else might be interested in giving it a try.

Top Bottom