What's new

My Handlebar Moustache Guide

$stache.jpg

I've been going on a little over 3 weeks on the full beard. My plan is to not trim the stache and pull it out to the side to approach a HB type stache, but I'm not sure I'll ever curl the ends or not. I'm just about to the point where the hair will go past my lip, so I purchased some Fire House wax today and we'll see how it goes...

I've been going on a little over 3 weeks on the full beard. My plan is to not trim the stache and pull it out to the side to approach a HB type stache, but I'm not sure I'll ever curl the ends or not. I'm just about to the point where the hair will go past my lip, so I purchased some Fire House wax today and we'll see how it goes...
it is going to take a while, but it is best if you and not trim over you lip and get it to go all the way out to the sides. when it is a bit longer the got-2be glued is also a handy tool to hold it in the right directions. and got-2be glued is very cheap for a strong hold.

strop

Now half as wise
You are just starting the most difficult stage. It starts to grow down over your lip and can be very annoying, but won't quite stay out of the way even with wax. You hair looks to be a bit wiry, so won't train easily until it gets a little longer. Whatever you do, though, resist the urge to trim at all costs.

You are just starting the most difficult stage. It starts to grow down over your lip and can be very annoying, but won't quite stay out of the way even with wax. You hair looks to be a bit wiry, so won't train easily until it gets a little longer. Whatever you do, though, resist the urge to trim at all costs.

Yes, it is a little wiry. Not sure it will ever look good, but I'm going to give it a shot and see.

here is how mine is going now. i am not sure if this would be called wiry, but it is kind of hard to tame. i think it would be a lot easier if it all grew straighter.

Before wax
$20161006_102408.jpg
After wax
$20161006_102710.jpg
i used clubman neutral wax today

strop

Now half as wise
here is how mine is going now. i am not sure if this would be called wiry, but it is kind of hard to tame. i think it would be a lot easier if it all grew straighter.

Before wax
View attachment 693682
After wax
View attachment 693683

Not much different than mine. I've discovered that the longer the center hairs get, the easier they are to control. I often use Clubman on the tips, but I find the more solid waxes that have to be warmed work better on the center 2/3.

Before wax

After wax

Impressive. I'm not sure I can handle growing mine that long. I just think it will bother me one day and I'll trim it down before I think about it. We'll see...

Impressive. I'm not sure I can handle growing mine that long. I just think it will bother me one day and I'll trim it down before I think about it. We'll see...
Oh it is a challenge, but it gets easier. In general I can comb it and it keeps the basic shape. I always need a napkin when drinking beer, because I still can't bring myself to drink it through a straw. I also always have was in my pocket so I can take it when I go out to eat.

sent with much dificulty with Tapatalk on my phone

I tried to grow one once. I didn't like the constant upkeep and let it get very... unkempt. I got rid of it when I realized I'd look better without that mess on my face. Complete respect to you guys who grow the handlebar 'staches, but they're a pain.

4. You will want to trim any hairs that form below the crease in your lip, as they will essentially be useless and make your moustache look choppy. Anything above the lip is not to be trimmed. Never trim the actual part of your moustache, it will make your moustache look clipped and stunted. When your moustache hairs grow long enough in the middle that they enter your mouth when unwaxed do not trim them, instead just wax them to the side. This will make your moustache fuller and more interconnected. NEVER trim above the lip crease.
Well, that'll make my daily shave marginally easier. I've been going bout 1/4" higher, ATG.
I'll put a stop to that tout de suite. $2chw5mg.gif

Mine is three months old...it is a good length now. I can tame it with Badgers mustache wax. I generally don't go for the tight pin curls at the ends...I prefer more of a general sweep upwards. A few things I have noticed: first, a handlebar takes a lot of work to maintain it well, it's messy when eating...always need extra napkins, and I am surprised how many people comment on it when I am out in public. It seems to be a great conversation piece.

A couple of weeks ago I was getting tired of the extra maintenance and had decided I was going to cut it back that evening after work. I got on the elevator at work and a lovely young lady commented to me how nice my mustache looked. I said, "Thank you. You are very kind". I decided to keep it for a while longer...

i just got one and it works well,
i am using it here with my other hobby, my beer and whisker dam with some of my soviet watch collection
20171014_172049.jpg

Top Bottom