What's new

What did you hone today?

Received this razor as a throw-in on another purchase due to a cancerous toe and bevel region. I gave it the business with a brass brush and diamond plate to even up the edge. Then using a 6 inch stitched wheel and grinding compound, tried to clean up the toe. Ended up removing some material with a file to replicate the old shape. Setting the bevel with a Shapton 1500 then Coti BBW and White then to Jnat to finish the edge. I note a significant amount of spine wear that I don't remember being there when I started. Were these a bit softer steel than normal Swedes?

$IMG_1761.jpg$IMG_1764.jpg

Hart Steel 7/8.
Although acceptable, the Hart wasn't digging the coticule. Just no love was being shown. As said..ok but I'm not satisfied with ok.
So...back to the Naniwa SS stones. Bringing it up on the 8k and an "extended" finish on the 12k got things set proper.
$image.jpeg

Last edited:
Set the bevel on a GD I was avoiding - crazy geometry, one side quarter hollow, the other belied hollow. Just getting it flat on the Naniwa looked like an explosion at an iron filings factory. Haven't gone further than setting bevels on GD, ZYs and an old "Gong" 5/8ths, but I'm getting there.

Last edited:
Yahata Maru:
proxy.php

Learned that the ratio of Omote to Ura laps really DOES make a difference.

On these old blades where there's bad steel to be removed, too many laps on the Ura creates too acute an angle and causes the edge to chip.
For these a high 10:3 or 10:2 ratio is best.

Hey Marcus - how do you finish your kamisori? Charnley or...?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Felt like something different this evening so I honed my ERN on a full ark progression. Bevel refresh on a Norton soft, midrange work on a war eagle hard Arkansas, and finished on a vintage Norton trans.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 124
Been awhile since I had a good full progression stone session so went back to bevel with these ladies and both turned out very well and very easy to hone.

4K to reset bevels then to the 8K for some light strokes then for the midrange natural edge used a Nakayama Kiita LV3 then to the Narutaki Asagi on both using first a DN 1200 slurry then a different tomo on each one as the last then a good stropping.

$IMG_5262.jpg

Re-Set the bevel on a ZY. I've gotta say, I'm impressed with the ZYs I've had so far this year: Good geometry, arrived with bevel set. More than just a letter opener. I much prefer them to GDs... so far..

Kamis, kamis and more kamis - Tosuke, Magic, Daishi, Iwasaki:
proxy.php

Really learning a lot now - the big danger with these vintage kamisori is that the edge tears very easily, perhaps something to do with the combo of soft iron and hard steel.

If I do circles or strop on the stone it produces a kind of incomplete burr, and a low Omote:Ura ratio also invites edge chipping so it's forward laps only, 10:4 on these blades.

The good news is that the chips and tears come out very easily with some harsh laps on the bevel setter, and there's always some good steel and a good edge waiting to reward you if you're prepared to do the work.

$image.jpg

Spent some time getting to know the new member of the crew from Arkansas. Spent some time tuning up a Hart Steel 7/8 in O1 and a Jerry Stark 7/8 in D2. Nice razors; nice stone

Last edited:
A pair of Sheffield "Chinese" near wedge blades from the 1850's.
A few freehand rolling Xs soon got these smiling swaybacks in shape - after lots of work with kamisori these unimetallic symmetrical blades are refreshingly simple!
proxy.php

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Touched up an ERN today on a beautiful vintage coricule.

Attachments

• $IMG_7460.jpg
    $IMG_7460.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 63
Started from scratch with this little Henry Martin for a member here, reset the bevel with a 4K Shapton then moved to the 8K for a few laps then off to the Nakayama Kiita mid-range and finished on a light DN 1200 slurry then tomo slurry on the Nakayama Asagi and 75 laps on the TM Notovan

$IMG_5319.jpg

Top Bottom