What's new

A tale of two Tuckaways

I assume silver...
I didn't buy it though was itchy doing it just to find out.
I have two NI with the late design already

We've seen a few examples of Gillette starting to do chrome plating very late in the New Improved run. That looks a lot more like chrome than silver to me, and with the later style head the seems even more likely. I'd probably have grabbed it myself if I'd seen it.

I have about 8 Gillette razors in the Richwood, New Standard, Bostonian and Tuckaway family. All are wide flat base plate except for a 1929 Big Boy, S/N 106691C. I also have two NEW Deluxe family Gold razors and both are in the narrow flat base plate family. I take it that the last of the New Improved razor heads were made to the new narrow flat pattern as used on all the New Deluxe razors.

Comparing top caps between the narrow and a wide, width is the same while my wide razor top cap seems to be about .008" longer but I have no idea what the manufacturing tolerances were back then. Visually the top caps seem to be interchangeable.

Both a virtually unused Gold Long Comb and a similar condition Gold Tuckaway fall into the narrow base plate flat family as does my English slotted flat back base plate razor.

I hope this info helps.

Seems like it, which is good for me since I have the 15mm British version. Although there is now an itch to try a 13mm version. I would have thought that the differences in baseplate width would make more of a difference, but it seems like the top cap width (which in this case is equal) plays a bigger role.

It would be cool if someone who has both versions could post side view photos (with blades in) to compare the two. I'm thinking that the width of the base will affect where the top cap makes contact and definitely influence the angles and exposure. a Wider base would increase the cutting angle, right? Although it might be so little that it doesn't affect the shave that much as evidenced by the shave tests.

Here is an old photo from the 'Photo Analysis of Razor Designs' thread.

NI Analysis.png

[QUOTE="MacDaddy, post: 6475164, member: 39239"I just love finding transitional forms like this. Really great find, Corny! :thumbup:

proxy.php

[/QUOTE]

Has anyone ever made a list of all the design elements that were carried over to different series? (i.e. from the New to the Tech...)

The New Improved Tuckaway is one of my favorite razors.
I have two, a gold plated one made in the USA and a silver one made in England.
But why does my English razor shave slightly better (IMO) than the American Tuckaway?
I'm not sure exactly how old each razor is.

Here are my two razors, with the American Tuckaway on the right:
View attachment 476029

The teeth on both razors looked similar, although the American razor has a better finish on the bottom plate:
View attachment 476030

I did notice that the bullet shaped lugs were a different shape, the English more like a cone,
but this wouldn't make any difference to the shaves.
View attachment 476032

Then I noticed this:
The surface width of the English razors bottom plate is wider!
This would give the blade a different cutting angle.
View attachment 476033

They are both great razors to use, but my preference leans towards the English Tuckaway.
The New Improved razors were made over several years during the 1920's and they are fantastic razors to use.

My preferred handle when using the English razor is an ATT Atlas:
View attachment 476039
My last name is McKinney

Top Bottom