What's new

Cigar cutter

I very very rarely smoke, but decided to have some cigars on hand for an infrequent splurge and for the guests. I'm looking a full-proof cigar cutter that would work well for a petit corona. Nothing too fancy, but not a keychain throw-away either.

Any recommendations?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I agree with Price. Since you asked specifically about corona size cigars, id recommend a regular guillotine cutter.

I own a Xicar and have used the the Palio cutter. Both are great. If you want a foolproof cut each time, you should also check out Cuban Crafter's perfect cutter. It isn't brilliant for torpedoes but a great job for everything else.

Do any cigar smokers prefer a punch?

Yup. They work well on square capped cigars, at least when new and you get the knack. Useless on most figurados.

I've been through (read: lost) several but only every bought 1 (about $3). Best Cigar Prices used to throw them in as freebies to replace lighters they can't ship to me in Oz. Get one with some way to remove the plug of tobacco or it will drive you nuts digging it out. A keychain is helpful so you can secure it against loss.

They are so cheap I'd seriously suggest trying one out.

I bought an expensive Xicar guillotine cutter, but I find that I use the spring loaded scissor type that was a freebie in a sampler box most of the time. Works perfect, easy and I'm not worried about losing it. These are about $20, or if you buy a box of cigars, you can get them thrown in.

proxy.php

Do any cigar smokers prefer a punch?

I use a punch only in specific situations; like when I have a short cigar that w/b overcut with my Xikar guillotine cutter. I find that using a punch on a Nub or a Rocky Patel 1992 Junior (4x38) gives me a proper draw without feeling like a left $$ on the cutting room floor

Also, when I buy a bundle of "seconds" the punch helps - because those typically are made with filler that is almost confetti cut, so keeping the endcap prevents a good amt of spitting as the cigar burns down and gets soft

I lost my good punch, so now I typically use a bamboo skewer (part of the grilling arsenal, a single box costs $4 and has hundreds of skewers)

I'd say Xikar v2. Slightly larger ring diameter capacity than the Palio and the same steel blade material specs. About $25 vs Palio's $35 on Amazon. Solide performer for me. My latest choices are 60 ring parejos, but there's no problem with figuerados.

Top Bottom