What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It seems that I am also no longer subscribed to that thread. I checked David's posts and went back far enough that I am sure I would have seen a post of his in it and did not. Let me see if I can ask a question or two and try to figure out what happened.

Thanks. That would be very helpful

Would it be possible to get the spreadsheet with the soaps sent to me. I am at work trying to type up some of my reviews and cant remember the Numbers associated with the soaps.

Link no longer works and I cannot find the thread any more. I went back 13 pages in the soap forum and didn't see it.

I'm looking into this. Likely because of of the new rule changes that they put in place. Because some of the samples are vendor donated items they are treating them like they are a bribe for a good review or thinking they are paid advertising. I'm just trying to do a good thing for the forum here. I'd like to see some rule clarification with some reasonable price limitations to allow things like samples.

It's not like everyone gets to keep a $200 brush or a $100 razor in exchange for their review here. They don't even get to keep the samples, just the soap that they use during their shave. So like six cents worth of soap. I don't think anyone here can be bought for 6 cents. I always encourage honest reviews both positive and negative. If I don't like a soap I surely won't give it a good review. If I like a soap I'll say so. My reviews are always completely honest, if you don't agree with my reviews then say so. We'll all like different things but by now I believe I can tell a good soap from a bad one.

Let's face it, the cost of shipping and insurance is over $15, multiply that times 3 boxes and... Well I'm no mathematician but that sounds like $45+ to me so if anything we are doing the opposite of a bribe, we are actually paying for the privilege of trying these soaps.

Let's also not forget... When I started here I went out and purchased soaps from vendors here because they participated in threads like this. If not for threads like this there would be no "rockclimber tries 150 soaps" thread. There would only be a "rockclimber 3017s Arko" thread. That is what keeps vendors here in business, New DE shavers like me going out and blowing $700 on years and years of soap.

In closing, I lied. I am actually heavily involved in math at Wilshire-Pennington Financial Group and fiscally speaking you need threads like this to keep soap purchases higher than what would be considered "par". There is no reasonable justification to purchase 4 years of soap as a new DE shaver yet members like me do so because of threads like this.
In conclusion, I have yet to even participate in any soap passaround threads yet the very existence of them caused me to go out and buy all this soap. Vendors, PLEASE let that sink in for a moment. I have yet to receive the benefit of your donations and yet I purchased your soap due to your goodwill. That is as strong of an endorsement as I can imagine.

Wait, I don't get good reviews for 6 cents? I was promised! ;)

There's still hope that I'll get it back. If not I won't let the sample passaround die. I enjoy it too much and so do the participants. I'll find a way to do it here, or maybe somewhere else if I have to.

I'm told that they are looking into it and that it's removal might be related to a database error. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I'm told that they are looking into it and that it's removal might be related to a database error. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I didn't know there was a rule change, but I totally agree with you that the sample pass around was not about anyone paying for review.

On the contrary, those boxes are the opposite of that as the donated samples get put into a box of soaps to possibly be sampled. If a soap is to be sampled, it needs to be attractive enough to get picked above the other 100 soaps.

What that box is doing is providing a vendor the opportunity to have their soap compared along side some of the best soap around to set where they stand. The only thing they are guaranteed is that their soap will get sniffed.

I also agree that the members of that pass are paying for the privilege of participating considering the postage involved. If anyone is profiting from that pass is the post office :)

With all that said, I'd bet it was a database error. Surely a moderator would approach you to at least give you a heads up before deleting such a long standing and active thread.

I'd bet it was a database error. Surely a moderator would approach you to at least give you a heads up before deleting such a long standing and active thread.

It's looking like a database error as we can't find the thread anywhere. If it were deleted by a mod it would still be available. We might have to start a new thread for round two.

I was told that it was likely a database error and those behind the scenes are working on it. Be patient I am sure this will be resolved soon.

Sent from the Danger Phone

[MENTION=73656]dfoulk[/MENTION] did you get an answer yet? One of the Mods that I contacted didn't know what had happened. However, he was able to find the thread in google cache. It doesn't fix the problem entirely, but any information that you had and wanted to keep is retrievable. From what I can tell...I don't believe anyone has a problem with the pass-around. I hope I am not overstepping any boundaries here, but I think you are good to go ahead. The link to the cached page is below. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...saround-box-signups+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm looking into this. Likely because of of the new rule changes that they put in place. Because some of the samples are vendor donated items they are treating them like they are a bribe for a good review or thinking they are paid advertising. I'm just trying to do a good thing for the forum here. I'd like to see some rule clarification with some reasonable price limitations to allow things like samples.

It's not like everyone gets to keep a $200 brush or a $100 razor in exchange for their review here. They don't even get to keep the samples, just the soap that they use during their shave. So like six cents worth of soap. I don't think anyone here can be bought for 6 cents. I always encourage honest reviews both positive and negative. If I don't like a soap I surely won't give it a good review. If I like a soap I'll say so. My reviews are always completely honest, if you don't agree with my reviews then say so. We'll all like different things but by now I believe I can tell a good soap from a bad one.

I can be bought for six cents. That's a piece of bazooka joe with a penny left over. Feel free to send me six cents, knowing that if I ever review you as a person, it will be glowing. Don't send me six cents and I'll try not to analogize you with Jeffery Dahmer if anyone ever asks me about you, but no promises.

The good news is that we were about to start a new round so it's a good time to start a new thread. It would still be nice to have the old one for fun reading and research

@dfoulk did you get an answer yet? One of the Mods that I contacted didn't know what had happened. However, he was able to find the thread in google cache. It doesn't fix the problem entirely, but any information that you had and wanted to keep is retrievable. From what I can tell...I don't believe anyone has a problem with the pass-around. I hope I am not overstepping any boundaries here, but I think you are good to go ahead. The link to the cached page is below. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...saround-box-signups+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Any way to restore the entire thread?

If you can copy the entire thread to a new thread called soap sample pass around round 1 or something like that it would be great.

Top Bottom