What's new

Mazzer Super Jolly Doserless Conversion

I didn't put the antistatic grid in my Mini and I'm not having a lot of trouble static thus far. I'm not in a real dry environment however.

I'm putting together my doserless setup because I'm not super fond of the doser. Are you using the antistatic grid?

If you are going to run time based dosing you will need the screen to retain grounds in the throat.

My consistency is within .2 grams grind to grind. With the screen out it moved up to 1 gram which is a fair inconstancy in weight between grinds.

With a doser can you fill the portafilter, level either back into the doser or waste, then tamp.

with time based you get what you get and that is all that you get so consistency in weight time after time is paramount. The only way for that to happen is if the grounds are retained, then forced through into the funnel down to the portafilter. Otherwise you may have clumps fall through so one grind is heavy and the next one light as a "chunk" has come out of the throat into the portafilter.

For time based dosing you will want to keep the bean hopper filled by at least 4-6 inches over the intake so that you have a consistent pressure forcing the beans into the burrs to be ground.

Now if you are planning on single dosing (weigh your beans and grind them all) all bets are off and all I have said is not important. What becomes important then is that you get all of the grounds out of the throat into the portafilter. this is a tedious and time consuming process and one that does not get you a very consistent weight as sometimes you get it all and sometimes you don't.

Single dosing, for may anyway, has always been the most inconstant weight, grind to grind as I can never seem to get all of the grounds out of the grinder and into the portafilter time after time. It is also the most time consuming as each grind requires a clean out of the grinder otherwise the subsequent grind weights will be off as more or less grounds are deposited.

Here's a link that led me to the funnel on ebay:
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/mazzer-super-jolly-doser-to-doserless-conversion-t30335.html

Looks like a straight forward job, if I take my time hopefully it'll turn nice :)
Well, I received my funnel but I'm not so sure about leaving some of the grinders internals uncovered...I will possibly try to make a cover of some sort. I now see that it's the same in the above link. I guess the guy didn't mind living with it like that.
$uploadfromtaptalk1464014146404.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1464014160872.jpg

You will also need the "electronic" model portafilter forks too as the normal ones will hold the portafilter too far away from the grinder body and funnel outlet.

Order a motor cover plate. It is a Mazzer part so you will need to source it from a Mazzer dealer. Motor cover plates came on electronic models and "grocery store" mass grind models (the one with the elephant's trunk spout)

I used a piece of cardboard and a tooth pick to cover the motor while I waited for my motor cover and new forks to arrive.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the info!! I didn't realize there was some shorter replacement forks available, I'll look into getting them as well :)

You will also need the "electronic" model portafilter forks too as the normal ones will hold the portafilter too far away from the grinder body and funnel outlet.

Order a motor cover plate. It is a Mazzer part so you will need to source it from a Mazzer dealer. Motor cover plates came on electronic models and "grocery store" mass grind models (the one with the elephant's trunk spout)

I used a piece of cardboard and a tooth pick to cover the motor while I waited for my motor cover and new forks to arrive.

proxy.php

So, I finally did the mod. The hardest part was drilling the holes for the bolts in the funnel, however the rest went pretty well. I used an air duck for the back of the funnel to protect the motor, the only thing missing is the bottom forks. Not sure if I'll try to order the right part or fix something myself. Anyhow, here are a few pics:$uploadfromtaptalk1466380325552.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1466380339440.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1466380352614.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1466380360607.jpg

You can use the original forks, you just need to rest the portafilter ON them instead of within them so that it sits further back.

I do not see an a-stat screen?

If you are planning on single dosing and brushing out after each grind no big but if you intend on feeding from a hopper the screen will make your time grinds more repeatable and accurate.

You can use the original forks, you just need to rest the portafilter ON them instead of within them so that it sits further back.

I do not see an a-stat screen?

If you are planning on single dosing and brushing out after each grind no big but if you intend on feeding from a hopper the screen will make your time grinds more repeatable and accurate.

Actually there's not enough clearance to rest the portafilter on the forks. Maybe if I had a bottomless filter pf.
No a-stat screen for the moment. I always single-dose, but I'll keep it in mind!

If the funnel is that deep/long you can just rest it on the base and see how that works.

An electronic fork may hold the portafilter too high for you.

Well, I tried it this morning and ill have to see if I can improve the setup. I get grains falling on the side of the pf even though I hold it right down the opening of the funnel... For sure I can't just just lay the pf down on the base. I love the looks of it though, but hopefully I can make it cleaner, it was my goal to start with

Looks great! I picked up the funnel from eBay and I'm 99.999% positive it's a modified funnel like yours. It's not quite as long as I need, though. I may pick up the original Major funnel.

I notice a TON of static because I don't use a screen. However, I get next to none when I RST. So I weight out each dose, spritz with water, throw in grinder, pop on tamper, and let 'er rip. Works great. I may add a little silicone flap.

Well, I tried it this morning and ill have to see if I can improve the setup. I get grains falling on the side of the pf even though I hold it right down the opening of the funnel... For sure I can't just just lay the pf down on the base. I love the looks of it though, but hopefully I can make it cleaner, it was my goal to start with

You can get or make a portafilter extension. You can see the two I have back in this thread at various posts. One is a cylinder shape the other a funnel shape

Top Bottom