What's new

Which is your Favorite Bay Rum Aftershave

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Lucky Tiger "Bay Rum" is terrible, you are correct.

It doesn't smell at all like bay rum, and there's some chemical in it that you will taste, via capillary action. Avoid it.

AA

Anyone ever try Gabels? How does it compare to Virgin Islands or Captain's choice??? For what it's worth, personally I think Lucky Tiger is a joke. It's like a watered down weak scented bay rum.

View attachment 654557View attachment 654558
I really like Gabel's Bay Rum, my last barber used it on me after the neck shave and I ended up getting a bottle of my own. It has a lot less sting and heat than VIBR and has a very nice aroma that has the typical short lived scent of a bay rum. It is definitely worth the few bucks you will spend.

My favorite bay rum is CO9T because I love the scent...but Ogallala Bay Rum is my favorite because the scent lasts four hours. Luckily, I can own both at the same time.

I love this thread. Bay rums are my favorite. My all time favorite bay rum to date is HBG bay rum. Certainly not a traditional bay rum scent. For that my favorite is a vintage bottle of st Thomas bay rum. The closest modern bay rum to that scent is captains choice bay rum.

I hate pinauds virgin island bay rum. Smells nothing like bay rum. Burns like hell. I don't understand where all the love comes from.

I ordered some Dominica so it may change my favorites.

...The closest modern bay rum to that scent is captains choice bay rum.

...I hate pinauds virgin island bay rum. Smells nothing like bay rum. Burns like hell. I don't understand where all the love comes from.
I have a bottle of captain's choice BR and I didn't see what all the hype was about that 4oz bottle for $20.00. With CC, the burn is mild and the scent is great in the beginning, but disappears quickly. The scent doesn't last as long as the Pinaud VIBR. I think the allure to the VIBR is the fact that it does burn pretty hot, has a long lasting scent and the price can't be beat as its nearly 6 times cheaper than the CC (12oz bottle of VIBR vs 4oz of the CC). I just like it because of the burn that wakes me up in the morning, complimented with some strong black coffee.

I have a bottle of captain's choice BR and I didn't see what all the hype was about that 4oz bottle for $20.00. With CC, the burn is mild and the scent is great in the beginning, but disappears quickly. The scent doesn't last as long as the Pinaud VIBR. I think the allure to the VIBR is the fact that it does burn pretty hot, has a long lasting scent and the price can't be beat as its nearly 6 times cheaper than the CC (12oz bottle of VIBR vs 4oz of the CC). I just like it because of the burn that wakes me up in the morning, complimented with some strong black coffee.

Captains choice does not win any prizes in the longevity department. That's fine though. I also don't understand the desire for an extreme burning on the face after a shave. I can wake up just fine without that. It's one thing to burn my mouth via Listerine but I'll pass on the face burn. Pinauds scent is also off, which makes sense for such a low cost product. There is no bay scent in it. Really though, it reminds me of bread pudding.

YEP! I've decided. New favorite bay rum is Dominica. Just got it in the mail. Just finished shaving. Love it. Smells just like the vintage St Thomas I have and I wonder if [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION] will agree. Again, it doesn't have much longevity but I don't care. To me it's a rare treat to have such an amazingly fleeting scent. If it lasted all day I think it would diminish the love I have for the particular scent.

Stirling Bay Rum ASB. I love the scent. But I don't think one should generally expect long lasting scent from a splash or ASB. That calls for an EDT.

Get an ogallala sample pack. It has 4 great variations of BR AS, and all last for hours after application. You get a bottle of cologne too.

CC is OK, and I do dig CO9T, but the scent is fleeting.

YEP! I've decided. New favorite bay rum is Dominica. Just got it in the mail. Just finished shaving. Love it. Smells just like the vintage St Thomas I have and I wonder if @TheVez2 will agree. Again, it doesn't have much longevity but I don't care. To me it's a rare treat to have such an amazingly fleeting scent. If it lasted all day I think it would diminish the love I have for the particular scent.

Congratulations and welcome to the fold! It's been getting hard to find (though I have a spare bottle so I'm not too worried), but where did you purchase yours?

Congratulations and welcome to the fold! It's been getting hard to find (though I have a spare bottle so I'm not too worried), but where did you purchase yours?

I bought it from calantilles website. Picked up a bottle of original bay rum and the lime version. Came with a coupon for a whole dollar off.

YEP! I've decided. New favorite bay rum is Dominica. Just got it in the mail. Just finished shaving. Love it. Smells just like the vintage St Thomas I have and I wonder if @TheVez2 will agree. Again, it doesn't have much longevity but I don't care. To me it's a rare treat to have such an amazingly fleeting scent. If it lasted all day I think it would diminish the love I have for the particular scent.

Not my favorite but I like Dominica a lot. And it's cheap enough that you can splash it all over with abandon.

New favorite bay rum is Dominica. Just got it in the mail. Just finished shaving. Love it. Smells just like the vintage St Thomas I have and I wonder if @TheVez2 will agree.

I don't have the original, but I have a sample of the Dominica w/lime. Straight form the bottle, I don't smell much lime so I was able to compare them a bit. There is a similarity. In fact, there was a scent note in the St Thomas that I couldn't place, but after smelling the same note in Dominica, I figured it out.... egg nog. The spices in these bay rums remind me of egg nog. And now that I've made that realization, my opinion has dropped. I don't like Ogallala because it smells like egg nog (but Ogallala is much stronger in that note).

Top Bottom