What's new

B&B Essential--good enough to be one's only brush?

Hi all,

I've been enjoying reading the forums for quite a while--thanks for all the accumulated knowledge.

I'm considering the BBE as my first and only good brush. I've been using an old boar bristle that belonged to my father--nice enough, but really scratchy.

My main question is whether the BBE is brush enough to be the only brush I own for a long time or is there something else to consider. I don't have the resources to own half a dozen brushes so I want to make sure the one I buy is good enough for the long run. I use both soaps and creams with a Merkur DE. I don't know any particular brush preferences as I've never owned a nice one. I recently bought a $11 Omega synthetic with which I've been pleasantly surprised. I've read what threads I could about the Essential and the general consensus seems to be very positive--but usually from folks who own multiple brushes.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Colorado

welcome aboard!

I dont have one personally, but from what I hear its more than good enough to be your only brush (and by far the best brush at the $50 price point). Most of us have a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell getting a few brushes, its not that we need them... we just want them (and more cowbell)

Hi all,

I've been enjoying reading the forums for quite a while--thanks for all the accumulated knowledge.

I'm considering the BBE as my first and only good brush. I've been using an old boar bristle that belonged to my father--nice enough, but really scratchy.

...I use both soaps and creams ...
Do you face lather or bowl lather?

I face lather. Soap only.

Perhaps I need to work in my B&B Essential somewhat, but currently I find that I prefer the $12 Tweezerman. The B&BE is perhaps just a little bit too dense.

My understanding is that the B&B Essential is designed to be a 'generalist' brush (hence the name). The quality is certainly there. I think the brush is arguably better for bowl lathering. Tho' I'm reasonably certain that some on this board will disagree with me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

Hand first and then some face lathering. I've tried a shaving mug, but found the hand/face method to be quick and easy for me. I usually shave in the shower.

Hand first and then some face lathering. I've tried a shaving mug, but found the hand/face method to be quick and easy for me. I usually shave in the shower.
Hmmm. Tweezerman has a wood base -- perhaps not ideal for the shower. Tho' it certainly has been more than adequate for me for about a year now at the sink.

If you want a good brush now, you might consider the Rooney 3/1, which many on this board consider to be a fine face lathering brush. Tho' I seem to recall reading that it depends which vendor you buy it from, 'cause the 'cut' is slightly different.

Oh yes ... Welcome to B&B. :a50:

My main question is whether the BBE is brush enough to be the only brush I own for a long time or is there something else to consider.

In a word, yes.

I started with a Van Der Hagen boar for a couple months until I bought a C&E BBB. I thought that was it, until I bought my BaBE when it first became available. As much of a difference as the C&E was to the boar brush, the BaBE was even more so than the C&E.

The BaBE is just as good, if not better, for creams than the C&E, plus it has more backbone for handling soaps. I've tried face lathering a time or two (I'm no expert by any means) and it seems to do well for that, too.

(Disclaimer: I have not developed a case of SBAD, nor have I bought any higher end or higher priced brushes, as I just haven't seen the need. I prefer to spend my available shaving funds on soaps and creams, and other accessories.)

If you like the idea of additional brushes for soaps and creams, face vs. bowl lathering, SBAD, etc. by all means pursue it as your interest and funds allow. But a BaBE as your only brush would be FAR from a bad thing.

I'll likely be using it for bowl lathering, but I think my Omega professional boar brush will be my go-to face lathering brush from here on out.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not a big brush guy- only have a few of them. For some unknown reason, I haven't been bitten by the brush bug to the extent that others have. I'd be more than happy to use the essential exclusively for the rest of my life.

I've had five brushes total and sold two. I'm down to three brushes and will probably be selling another one soon. The two brushes I intend on keeping are a Rooney 1,1 in Super and the BBE. They're both great brushes. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the BBE is definitely good enough to be one's only brush. I have NO interest whatsoever in getting a new brush after having and using the Rooney and BBE.

Hi all,

My main question is whether the BBE is brush enough to be the only brush I own for a long time or is there something else to consider. I don't have the resources to own half a dozen brushes so I want to make sure the one I buy is good enough for the long run. I use both soaps and creams with a Merkur DE. I don't know any particular brush preferences as I've never owned a nice one. I recently bought a $11 Omega synthetic with which I've been pleasantly surprised. I've read what threads I could about the Essential and the general consensus seems to be very positive--but usually from folks who own multiple brushes.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Colorado

Believe me, this one will last you. It's a regular in my rotation and very close to being my No.1 Here's mine:

I've had five brushes total and sold two. I'm down to three brushes and will probably be selling another one soon. The two brushes I intend on keeping are a Rooney 1,1 in Super and the BBE. They're both great brushes. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the BBE is definitely good enough to be one's only brush. I have NO interest whatsoever in getting a new brush after having and using the Rooney and BBE.

Great minds.....

I'm looking to do the exact same thing. When the next batch of BBEs show up hopefully I'll be on line to get in line to snap one up.

If I were to have only one brush, to be used for soaps and creams, lathering on my face or in a bowl, the B&BE would certainly be very high on the list of contenders. It's a great all purpose brush, and the price to quality ratio is excellent. I have one (along with a Rooney 3/1) and plan on keeping it forever.

Good luck with your choice.

jim

I think the brush is arguably better for bowl lathering.

Tho' I'm reasonably certain that some on this board will disagree with me.

Yep. :biggrin:

Kind of have to . . . I face lather almost exclusively, and the BBE has swiftly become the ONLY brush on the shelf I reach for anymore. Does a fantastic job for me.

Though I will say it might be just slightly on the big side for someone who doesn't have a large head. I'm, aaah, cranially endowed.

NANP™

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't think it's a question of which one does this brush do better (face or bowl lathering) but rather does it do both equally well.

The answer is a resounding yes. At about $50, this brush is an unbelieveable bargain and I have used it with creams and soaps (face lathering) and it performs exceptionally well with both of them.

I really don't believe that one could do better than this brush as an entry level brush in this price range. This brush has far and away a more luxurious feel than the scritchier, less dense, C&E Brush.

If you are looking for a steady, all-around brush and do not succumb to SBAD then there is no reason why this brush could not be you're only brush.

Absolutely! Great with soaps and cream. Face lathering or bowl lathering. Dense but also soft. The price cant beat either.

Though I will say it might be just slightly on the big side for someone who doesn't have a large head. I'm, aaah, cranially endowed....
Okay, I'll admit it. I'm small-headed. Particularly evident any time I've sat down to play a cello ... .

But you don't find it to be too dense? That's where I'm finding it to be a problem. Doesn't seem to pick up enough soap.

Top Bottom