What's new

New guy here.what else do I need to try?

I would be glad to relieve you of your unwanted Captains choice if you're truly willing to pass it forward. It's one I'm interested in trying. Alternatively, I should tell you that there's always the option of a PIF contest....

I'm definitely willing, but I received a PM almost immediately from another forum member, so the CC Bay Rum is already on its way to MO.

A PIF contest is a great idea. I'm a member on a motorcycle touring forum that actually has a PIF thread that has been going continuously for several years...another really cool thing...

I've even decanted my Clubman, Skin Bracer, Old Spice and Aqua Velva into vintage glass. It's ridiculous, I know, but that doesn't change the facts.
Ridiculous? Not at all. That is the only reasonable thing to do with an aftershave that comes in a plastic bottle! I have decanted [nearly] all of my aftershaves into glass. Most of them into original vintage glass.

My question is, are there any out there with the sickness?
Oh, yes. Absolutely. What you have there in your collection looks like a travel kit compared to what some of us have. If it's a sickness.... I don't want to be well. See my list HERE. I'm lucky enough to Steward this forum of Merry Misfits and love every minute of it!

If so, do you see any glaring omissions in my collection?
Off the top of my head, you don't have any Vintage Avon. It's great stuff and can be found cheap in antique stores. Still good after all these years!
Also AV Musk, Brut, and the rest of the Pinaud line.

Also if you ever want to do some experimenting, check out the Bootlegger's recipes:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Bootleggers

and the Badger Blends thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/482789-Badger-Blends-Your-Homemade-Aftershave-Mixes

this is one of my old time fav
Quorum EDT 100ml Spray
A best selling arid fragrance for men, Quorum from the Spanish design house Antonio Puig is sharp and woody with a complexity that makes it intriguing. Spices give warmth with a greeness from clove and nutmeg. Fresh top notes of artemisia, caraway, grapefruit, bergamot and lemon give it zest while calming middle notes of cyclamen, pine tree, carnation, sandalwood, patchouli and jasmine are also cooling. Very masculine base notes of leather, amber, oakmoss and tobacco add sensual and seductive overtones.
and a must for any shave den

Avoid Pinaud Island Bay Rum, it doesn't actually have any Bay Oil in it. You might want to try Superior 70 aor Master Bay Rum if you want more bay smell and less spice. Or maybe that's what you didn't like about Captains Choice. One warning about Superior it's 65% alcohol and the alcohol smell definitely mellows with time.

I would add Tabac, Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather, and Alt Innsbruck to your list.

And then of course some of the excellent line from Myrsol in Spain.

Here's my list. Some have been mentioned already, so it's good to know they're popular.

Brut Dominant - the only place I've seen this recently is Ebay. Just a fantastic scent.
Old Spice Musk from India
Aqua Velva Musk
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Clubman Special Reserve (an acquired taste for some)
Ogallala Bay Rums (double strength colognes and aftershaves if you like longer lasting scents) - try the Sandalwood and Limes and Peppercorns
Cuba Gold aftershave and cologne (smells like Le Male)
Paul Sebastian aftershave and cologne
Tabac aftershave and/or cologne - Check Perfumania.com often for these and wait for a free shipping offer.
The Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements line - Haven't tried any yet, but I keep reading they're among the longest lasting aftershave scents and that Chocolate Bourbon keeps calling me!

Ridiculous? Not at all. That is the only reasonable thing to do with an aftershave that comes in a plastic bottle! I have decanted [nearly] all of my aftershaves into glass. Most of them into original vintage glass.

I've been meaning to decant for months now but I can't make up my mind about where to order the glass bottles from.
Do they all come with the plastic plugin pour spouts that limit the liquid flow? As a test, I was thinking of buying a hot sauce bottle at Dollar Tree to see if it has a pour spout or if one of my Clubman spouts would fit into it.

Avoid Pinaud Island Bay Rum, it doesn't actually have any Bay Oil in it. You might want to try Superior 70 aor Master Bay Rum if you want more bay smell and less spice. Or maybe that's what you didn't like about Captains Choice. One warning about Superior it's 65% alcohol and the alcohol smell definitely mellows with time.

I love the Pinaud VIBR, although I wish the scent would last longer than an hour or so. There are times when I prefer Ogallala, though. As for Superior 70, I find it impossible to locate.

First, thanks to all for this place. A great forum for guys like me who take wet shaving almost...too seriously. :001_rolle

This is my first post, but I've lurked here for a long time. I have a serious problem with collecting aftershaves. I love all aspects of wet shaving, and have tried MANY products, but somehow I've managed to be quite content with two DE razors (Merkur 34C and 38C), one brand of blade (Feather), a single shaving cream (TOBS Mr. Taylor), and two brushes (Semogue 1305 boar and Parker extra-dense badger). Truthfully, I could whittle that down even further, and be just fine with either of the razors or brushes by themselves.

Aftershaves, though, are a different story. I'm corrupted and unstoppable in my quest to try different bottles. Here's what I have so far:

Pinaud Clubman
Pinaud Clubman Vanilla
Pinaud Citrus Musk
Pinaud Osage Rub
Taylor of Old Bond Mr. Taylor
Pitralon (German)
Pitralon (Swiss)
Irisch Moos
Skin Bracer
Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Ach Brito Lavender
Fine Classic
Fine Clean Vetiver
Fine Platinum
Musgo Real
Proraso
Speick
Old Spice
Floid Vigoroso
Lucky Tiger
Murray and Lanman Florida Water
Lustray Blue Spice
Gabels Bay Rum
Alt Innsbruck
Captain’s Choice Bay Rum (not a fan for some reason - would send a virtually-full bottle free of charge to anyone here that wanted to pay postage)

I have no true favorites - every day it seems I'm in the mood for something different, although I do sometimes get on a kick and splash on the same thing every day for a week.

I've even decanted my Clubman, Skin Bracer, Old Spice and Aqua Velva into vintage glass. It's ridiculous, I know, but that doesn't change the facts.

My question is, are there any out there with the sickness? If so, do you see any glaring omissions in my collection? I have an entire cabinet (actually an old Samsonite suitcase converted to a cabinet) devoted to just aftershaves, so there is still room for more....:blink:

Thanks in advance for any tips, and I look forward to spending even more time obsessing over small details amongst you guys...
I too am relatively new to the forum, however I've lurked here for quite some time. I commend you on the Fine Platinum and Cesn Vet., those are two of my favorites. Might I recommend Executive Man Aftershave by Stirling? It's meant to complement the Executive Man Shaving soap which is also quite good.

Superior 70 is in Latino markets, or on Amazon, auction sites etc. I got mine at Marketon a couple of years ago. In checking around I saw a menthol version, I may have to acquire it. Or maybe just add Osage rub to what i have as needed.

Oh, yes. Absolutely. What you have there in your collection looks like a travel kit compared to what some of us have. If it's a sickness.... I don't want to be well. See my list HERE.

WOW. That collection is amazing. After seeing that, I feel I've found a home here....:thumbup1::biggrin1:

And true to my nature, I've used the recommendations to justify further nonsense....

I now have on order:

Stirling Executive Man
Tabac
Myrsol Formula C
Myrsol F/Extra

Looking for some vintage Aqua Velva Musk in a glass bottle....or at least the bottle itself.

This ends at some point, right? :001_rolle

I too am relatively new to the forum, however I've lurked here for quite some time. I commend you on the Fine Platinum and Cesn Vet., those are two of my favorites. Might I recommend Executive Man Aftershave by Stirling?

The Stirling aftershaves are pretty nice with glycerine, witch hazel, alcohol, and fragrance. You can add menthol to them when you order if you like it. My favorites are Barbershop and Glastonbury.

How would you rate the longevity of the Stirling Aftershave scents? Is there any projectivity? I've heard that Executive Man lasts for a few hours and like Fine Platinum, is based on Creed Aventus.

How would you rate the longevity of the Stirling Aftershave scents? Is there any projectivity? I've heard that Executive Man lasts for a few hours and like Fine Platinum, is based on Creed Aventus.
I can definitely attest to the authenticity of those statements. Executive Man can last for several hours. IMHO projectivity is greatest within the first hour and diminishes over time. However, a light breeze can still stir up the fragrance. I find that the Executive Man lasts longer than the Fine Platinum. However, the fragrance is more subtle initially than that of the Fine Platinum. As much as I like Executive Man, I absolutely love Fine Platinum. The only one I like more is there Fine Clean Vetiver. Happy Shaving!

This new hobby has proven to be an exciting albeit expensive one.

I smell it for a few hours. I had someone at work comment about it at lunch the other day, so I'm guessing its lingering longer than I pick up. I might dial back the amount I put on lol.

I smell it for a few hours. I had someone at work comment about it at lunch the other day, so I'm guessing its lingering longer than I pick up. I might dial back the amount I put on lol.

If it was a hot babe who made the comment, dial it up and reapply! :velva2::austin1::a14:

I can definitely attest to the authenticity of those statements. Executive Man can last for several hours. IMHO projectivity is greatest within the first hour and diminishes over time. However, a light breeze can still stir up the fragrance. I find that the Executive Man lasts longer than the Fine Platinum. However, the fragrance is more subtle initially than that of the Fine Platinum. As much as I like Executive Man, I absolutely love Fine Platinum. The only one I like more is there Fine Clean Vetiver. Happy Shaving!

This new hobby has proven to be an exciting albeit expensive one.

Why do you think I took the screen name "ShaveAthon? While I'm saving on cartridges, I quickly discovered I'll need a telethon or a Go Fund Me page to keep up this hobby of buying razors, aftershaves, brushes, soaps, creams, and colognes!

Last edited:
As a similarly afflicted AS splash hoarder (with about 70+ full bottles, all of which 90+% full), I applaud your collection. You've already filled some glaring omissions (Tabac, Myrsol, Avon, etc.). I would encourage you to pursue some American classics in vintage: Brut, Old Spice, English Leather, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, British Sterling, etc. Not only is the product marginally better (in most cases) than the modern, but you get a nice glass bottle into which you can decant the new stuff. And if you're judicious on the sites, you don't have to spend more per ounce than Fine or Myrsol. Wm Neumann is my favorite AS splash, but I'm the first to agree that it's expensive. Floid, all five of them, are my current value-oriented favorites.

I would encourage you to pursue some American classics in vintage: Brut, Old Spice, English Leather, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, British Sterling, etc. Not only is the product marginally better (in most cases) than the modern, but you get a nice glass bottle into which you can decant the new stuff.

Excellent advice! I should've mentioned that I do have vintage AV and Skin Bracer in original bottles, as well as the modern versions decanted into glass. There IS a difference, although I'm not sure how much is attributed to reformulation vs age...the AV certainly looks different, with the much-lighter vintage color...

I'm on the lookout for vintage Brut with the metal tag on the bottle. For some reason, that's the one I remember most clearly from my youth, sitting on my dad's bathroom counter.

Last edited:
proxy.php

I get this at my local Walmart for around $5.50 or so. I either use Stetson cooling moisture, Proraso or Speick. All three have incredible moisturizing properties and all three smell great but for the money, I think Stetson Cooling Moisture is hard to beat.

Excellent advice! I should've mentioned that I do have vintage AV and Skin Bracer in original bottles, as well as the modern versions decanted into glass. There IS a difference, although I'm not sure how much is attributed to reformulation vs age...the AV certainly looks different, with the much-lighter vintage color...I'm on the lookout for vintage Brut with the metal tag on the bottle. For some reason, that's the one I remember most clearly from my youth, sitting on my dad's bathroom counter.

If you're into current Brut, take a look at these four pages that indicate what's available in Europe: http://www.pakcosmetics.com/search/brut. Brutworld USA has told me that their monster 25.6 oz.glass bottle with the medallion (made by Idelle Labs/Helen of Troy) is the only one they issue that's based on the original formula by Faberge. I picked this up from Target for $14.99 on Cyber Monday:

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-brut-by-faberge-co-cologne-splash-25-6-oz/-/A-14605796

In regard to Skin Bracer, if you haven't seen what L'Oreal has done with it in France, than you're really missing something! Before you check this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Mennen-Skin-Bracer-vs-CP-s-Mennen-Skin-Bracer. take a look at those three versions in glass bottles (with better ingredients than the US version) and those five balms, the first of which is a combo with alum!

Mennen in France: http://www.mennenpournousleshommes.fr/rasage-et-apres-rasage

proxy.php

Top Bottom