What's new

Gillette Fat Boy so over priced. WHY?

Ok first not to offend,, upset or commit crimes against the DE community, but can someone explain to me why the prices of a mass produced middle of the road razor are so expensive??.. I am happy for that when I re-sell the ones I find, but I'm just curious why. The razor does a good job, but really no better than any of its TTO counter parts, and once You find Your setting it could be glued in place. So to me its like setting to a standard, or Blue, or Red tip. which all can be had in great shape for between $10-$20. I was hoping for some insight on this strange ( to me ) pricing for a middle of road TTO razor.

The Fat Boys were only produced for 4 short years, I believe, so they're less numerous than Gillette's other adjustables, such as the Slim Adjustables and the Super Adjustables (Black Beauties). Of course, they're more numerous than some of the hens' teeth adjustables such as the Toggle or the Bottom Dial, or the gold version of the Fat Boy, and they consequently go for less money than those.

Gillette aren't making any more, and they are actually fairly complex as razors go, so there's a built-in barrier to entry to any firm thinking that they might clone it, so the Fat Boy's pricing actually is appropriate given all those factors. It's not necessarily that they give the best shave of any razor ever made, but it's really a case of supply and demand and since the demand is there, but the supply is limited, simple economics dictates that the average price will probably continue to climb if the popularity of wet shaving continues to grow. This same logic applies to the other vintage Gillette razors, all of which have seen price increases, at least on the big auction site where bidders are competing with other bidders globally. If you want a bargain, you have to get your hands dirty and trawl garage sales, antique stores, flea markets, and the like.

Demand, availability. An iconic razor that represents what some might perceive as America's "heavy metal" industrial heyday. And it's an excellent razor to boot.

R

romsitsa

If you have time to "hunt" you can find one for 30-40 USD even on ebay.
On the other hand it is made of brass not some alloy prone to rot, it works even after 60 years, it looks massive, it shaves good.

I think Gillette blade banks are seriously overpriced.

Adam

In fact, the demand and the high price work for me. I am happy people create the fuss about it but they sure can do better.
I wish their price was even higher though, still there's room for increase.

Why is any rare razor more expensive? Why does the Toggle bring so much money? Why are some of the RR slants getting a nice price on eBay? Supply and demand. People are willing to pay more for these razors.

I dont think it is rare, it seems to me that a lil buzz on a few blogs and people get silly at the auction sites. I got the answer I was looking for and I am happy that people are willing to over pay, it provides me with extra pocket money so I can buy really importan t rare items Like Beer :p

And just to add I do have one and I did shave with it, but now the only DE I use from Gillette is a NEW Long Comb, best razor hands down from them I have had the chance to use, the other DE I use is a Schick Krona which sadly seem to be getting discovered and prices inflating. I will be happy to watch the prices increase and sell away as I find to feed my SE habit. I have yet to find a razor other than the NEW LC that can compete with the GEM and ER SE products.

I'd like to add my theory,

Every thing said above and it's fat handle, I have big hands and very much prefer the bigger handles. Someone with smaller hands probably has very little preference. This coupled with a short run creates a bigger unbalance in the supply and demand department.

BTW, if you're in this camp try a fat tech, if you need more blade gap shim it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It's those Hipsters. They all got to have a FB even if they don't actually shave with it.

Actually, just look at it. It is a very nice looking razor. Very macho. This is on top of actually being a very good adjustable DE razor that has proven ability to outlive its owner. I actually prefer my adjustable Aristocrat which only cost me about $10 more than a user FB, but the FB is one that I like and would be satisfied with.

I think it's a combination of the short run, but more importantly it's the original adjustable. I like to compare it to the Chevy Camaro, the 68 is more popular, but the 67 is the original and from what I have seen more expensive.

Top Bottom