What's new

Gus's Shave diary

I like your journal entries, 100 shaves at a time...I just might do that myself! :lol:

Congrats on 800+ shaves, PROST!:a8:

In the beginning I posted a lot but after a while the shaves just got so good that I could no tell them apart anymore so there did not seem much point in posting every shave. Anyway, hope to see you at 900. Cheers!

Shave #900

Heljestrand 6/8 Kloster
Klar kabinett soap
Boar brush

Another 100 shaves have gone by and quality is pretty consistent. I still have not got round to try the kamisori but i have at least finally managed to order one. It is not the genuine item, instead it is a replica that is manufactured in Germany. I cannot wait to try it out. I will tell you all about at the 1000 shave mark at the latest.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice! Post some pictures of that kamisori when you get it

Shave #907

"Kamisori made in Münsterland"
Sir Irisch Moos SS
Boar Brush
Hega Balsam

The other day the Kamisori came in from Rasurpur.de. I shall post pictures later on, just now my camera is not operational. It came delivered in beautiful wooden box that opened with a sliding lid. Just under the lid is a piece of leather that spans the box opening and carries the rasurpur logo. Underneath the leather is the piece de resistance supported by two wooden ribs. At first I did not understand what kept the heavier blade portion hovering in the air until I attempted to withdraw the razor from the box. This required some effort because the plain metal handle is held down by two magnets embedded in the wooden ribs. The magnets are not visible when you have extracted the razor because they appear to be concealed beneath some cushioning material. The razor itself is absolutely beautiful. The handle and spine are unpolished metal allowing you to get a good grip on the handle, the blade had the usual Japanese grind. The overall impression of the box and razor is one of unparalleled quality.

I was feeling a bit queasy and at the same time excited about using the razor. I was very careful and everything went splendidly. It was not the closest of shaves but still good enough for a first. It will take some getting used to the distinct wedge-like feel of the razor which I do not care for in western razors. In this case however, I will stick with it because the fixed handle allows for some pretty interesting moves which are not necessarily possible with a conventional straight.Holding the razor with thumb and index finger you can maneuver the razor with the utmost dexterity. You can also roll the handle between your fingers to address facial details in a way that is not as easy as with a regular straight.

On the whole, this is fun and I am going to be doing more of it. Maybe I will even post a bit more often again as the Kamisori journey progresses.

Congratulations on receiving the new razor. From the description it sounds very nice and a lot of thought and craftsmanship went into both razor and case.

I am not that familiar with Kamisori razors. I know the edge is different than Western style straights - so how does that affect shaving the opposite side of the face from the flat edge. Can you flip the edge over and use the opposite side of the blade with no difference?

Enjoy your new razor!

Pete

Congratulations on receiving the new razor. From the description it sounds very nice and a lot of thought and craftsmanship went into both razor and case.

I am not that familiar with Kamisori razors. I know the edge is different than Western style straights - so how does that affect shaving the opposite side of the face from the flat edge. Can you flip the edge over and use the opposite side of the blade with no difference?

Enjoy your new razor!

Pete

To tell you the truth, I did not find that there was such a big difference between the two sides. I also did not change my routine with this razor although it felt ever so slightly awkward at times.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Congrats on the kami pick-up, as well as the box description. I need to make something for mine and the hidden magnets sounds like a great idea. Shaving-wise, I also use both sides.

Thanks for chiming in rockviper, this is old news for you but to me it is a whole new ball game. I cannot think why I put it off for so long. The magnet thing in my box is great. If you have a look at the rasurpur site, I think you can get boxes without razors also. Shipping might obviously be an issue but it might still be an option.

Here are finally some pictures:

Attachments

• $CIMG2984.jpg
    $CIMG2984.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 16
  • $CIMG2986.jpg
    $CIMG2986.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 17
The piece of leather is not stuck to the lid, it is loose. It only serves the purpose of padding between the razor and the lid. If you like I can give you the dimensions of the box and its constituant pieces.

Shave #1000!!!

Wacker 7/8 full hollow
Colgate Vintage shave stick
Boar Brush
Hega Balsam

So I just completed my first 1000 and there will probably be many more because I have become so used to shaving with a straight that when I shave with an SE or a DE, the result is not up to straight standards. I have shaved nearly 20 times with the Kamisori also and while it is a nice pet to have, it will not be among my favourites. I also tried shaving the old fashioned way with only one side of the blade. I have no doubt I could learn to be proficient at it, I just do not enjoy it. So for the next 1000 shaves, it will be straights in general and big full hollows in particular.

Congrats, that's just grand! lol

My kami is an infrequent diversion. I do find that the extra care required shaving with it, carries over benefits to my western straight shaves. I'm not sure why that is.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice work Erik! How's the shave stick? No SOTD picture? :laugh:

Nice work Erik! How's the shave stick? No SOTD picture? :laugh:

Thank you! The Colgate shave stick is fabulous. It is a bit like Tabac but the later is slightly thinner but very slick. You could also say that it is like a more protective Wilkinson shave stick.

Shave #1120

Shavette with Astra Blade
HJM Boar brush
Haslinger Ringelblume SS
Hega Balsam

I forgot to chime in when I passed 1100. There isn't much to say really. Shave quality is consistently good. I don't hunt for BBS because I end up cutting myself a lot. Nowadays, I settle for a quick DFS. I've gone back to traditional straights after having finished with the Kamisori. I wasn't particularly fond of it, I prefer shaving with the full hollow blades. The Shavette sees a lot of use because sometimes I am just to lazy to strop or maintain my razors. The DE sees some use but I am out of practice so the end result is not on par with a good straight shave. I mostly use that when I am in a hurry. I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year 2018.

Top Bottom