What's new

I think Gillette is on to us

Definitely interested to see how they handle this. If it is a quality, modern version of some of our beloved favourites then it might work out well.

They could also put two refillable lubricating strips on the safety bar.
Lol, don't give them any ideas how to dink up a perfectly good razor.

I would be interested to see what they would charge for a steel or plated brass razor that is made in the US.

If they release stainless steel version of pre-war or flat-bottom Tech under 50 bucks, they'll get hearts of half of the community...

But if, and I repeat, IF they ever get into DE market for developed countries again, I think it will be some relatively unexpensive TTO. Maybe Chinese-made, but with better QC than, say, Weishi.

I'm not buying it unless it's made in America......simple as that. So....the way things are in the world now, I probably won't be buying it.

I'll admit that I'm interested, as the fat handle Gillette Tech is my favorite razor at the moment.
I may pick one up and give it a try.

Ok so I believe none of this - but let's play pretend for a moment. I think we can all agree any sort of modern built Gillette DE razor will (sorry WOULD) not come close to the performance of the vintage. They would be built with pot metal or some other crap that people on these boards do not usually support. Now I like my Merkur plenty - but I see it as a short term investment, and also clearly can feel the difference from my vintage (do I really need to go through all these reasons - probably not). We could also probably agree they will not make a model that is made similar to the accepted high end modern performers such as above the tie, etc.

So who care right! Well, still playing pretend here - what is relevant to us is what would happen to our marketplace? Would prices drop like a rock or sky rocket? Id venture to suggest that they would sky rocket. For two reasons 1) new de users will make their way to our boards and learn how cool vintage is, and then want their own and 2) current vintage users (us) would collective do a land grab for all the razors on the market for fear of losing out on the higher quality razors.

I'm sure there are some economists following this board that can tell us about the price elasticity of the razor market etc. if you are out there - please reply to my post!!!

But what we should do - in my opinion (if we believe this) is to begin our excessive hoarding earlier than later as the direction will surely not be in our favor. Now I've also seen suggestions out there that prices on non fatboy or super unique razors has actually been falling. Maybe this news is already causing the market to change (whether true or not...)?

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If a new Gillette built tech were reasonably priced, I'd buy it. It would have to be set at a price point relative to its origin and construction. Id be willing to pay more for a USA brass or stainless Tech than a stamped steel or zamak import. But I'd probably buy it either way if the price were in line.

I have 4 Gillette Heavy Techs...either nickel or gold plated brass and I didn't pay more than $15 for any of them. I doubt the new version of the Tech could compete with that on quality or price. Having said that...if they reissued the Tech I would probably buy one...just to add to my collection.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
They'll never risk de-throning their expensive multiblade nonsense. They worked too hard to convince people to pay $5 per cart.

They MIGHT position a $$$ re-make just for us, the niche market. It will never be in Walmart or Target, sorry. They cannot risk losing the $5-per-cart suckers to .10 DE blades.

AA

Top Bottom