What's new

Rare sighting . This makes two .

So ....... I was mooching about Google images, trying to tweak out an image that might help me ID a handle fitted to an Ever Ready 1912 ......... And this catches my eye, from a Pinterest feed ......

proxy.php

Insofar as I am absolutely aware now .......... That means there are now two almost complete sets of these, one loose case and one loose blade injector that are known to exist outside of private and undeclared collections. Feast your eyes, gents ......... This is only the second time I've seen one of these. NOS injector pack, too .......

Best guess these could be dated to was 1947? ....... I think that was based purely on patent dates ........ but that's all it was: A best guess. There's absolutely no info out there on these.

Ahead of its time but even back then Gillette saw the writing on the wall. They knew that the money was made in blade sales and since the DE patent had run out, they realized they needed a new "lock" on the secondary market blade sales.

It appears that the complexity of the razor made it unfeasible to bring to market but somehow there are a few floating round still to be found.

Ahead of its time but even back then Gillette saw the writing on the wall. They knew that the money was made in blade sales and since the DE patent had run out, they realized they needed a new "lock" on the secondary market blade sales.

It appears that the complexity of the razor made it unfeasible to bring to market but somehow there are a few floating round still to be found.
Funny thing, Gillette still kept razors at a premium price point while under patent status. The competition always went with blades as the profit selling point and kept razors at a reasonable price.

Best guess these could be dated to was 1947? ....... I think that was based purely on patent dates ........ but that's all it was: A best guess. There's absolutely no info out there on these.

I believe the idea was to date this metal dispenser to 1946/47, before the plastic dispenser comes in 1947

Whoever owns the set in the first image knows what they've got ....... If you Google 'Extremely Rare Gillette Techmatic' that's the image that comes back ....... and it's not my set.

It seems odd that someone ready to put their razors on Pinterest doesn't pipe up on any of the razor forums. I suppose it takes allsorts ....... I wouldn't mind hearing the owner's story of how they came to acquire it, though. I may have to drop them a message and ask.

It is adjustable. The adjustment range isn't huge, though. It's really a scale to mark how far back you turn the TTO to open the blade gap up a little more; a bit like the 'micrometer adjustment' touted with Eclipse Red Rings.

Techmatic set!! Rarest of the rare! Great just to see such a remarkable set.

I'm still looking for a non-adjustable Toggle.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom