What's new

Gathering with some friends

Myself and and 5 other friends gathered at a local BYOB cigar lounge last night. Everyone brought a bottle or two. This is what we got to enjoy!! Great times with good people, good liquor, and good cigars!

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year Old
This was the 1st time I've had this Whiskey and I must give big thanks to my friend who shared it with us. It lives up to all the hype, very complex flavors, caramel, sherry, oak, are the main ones I got. It's 107 proof and has some bit to it. Still pretty smooth for that proof. I enjoyed my last Pappy Van Winkle cigar with it and it paired perfectly as expected.

Wild Turkey Master's Keep (The 1st 17 year old Wild Turkey)
I also enjoy a Eiroa The “First 20 Years” series cigar with this. It paired perfectly! This was my first time with this particular Eiroa cigar also. I'm a Turkey 101 drinker from way back. It's my go to Bourbon. This is a 86.8 proof whiskey and it is extremely smooth. It was the 2nd favorite of the group.

Wild Turkey American Honey Sting (The "Sting" is Ghost Pepper!)
Extremely sweet and yes it has a bite, you definitely get some burn from the Ghost Pepper and it lingers for a while. Nothing most could not handle was the groups opinion.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (No. 1 whiskey in the world last year according to Jim Murray's Wiskey Bible.)
This is the 1st Rye that I've had that I actually liked. The comment was "how can you not, not like this?"

The Glenrothes 1995 Single Malt Scotch
I'm not a peaty fan but I liked this Speyside dram. The peat was just slightly detectable.

Oban 14 Year Old Single Malt Scotch
I'm going to have to add this to my liquor cabinet. Very nice drinkable Highland single malt.

Ron Zacapa 23 Rum
Going to have to get a bottle of this too! I'm putting in my top five rums at #1 or #2. Got to do a side by side comparison to know for sure.
$2-5-2016-Line-Up.jpg

Myself and and 5 other friends gathered at a local BYOB cigar lounge last night. Everyone brought a bottle or two. This is what we got to enjoy!! Great times with good people, good liquor, and good cigars!

Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year Old
This was the 1st time I've had this Whiskey and I must give big thanks to my friend who shared it with us. It lives up to all the hype, very complex flavors, caramel, sherry, oak, are the main ones I got. It's 107 proof and has some bit to it. Still pretty smooth for that proof. I enjoyed my last Pappy Van Winkle cigar with it and it paired perfectly as expected.

Wild Turkey Master's Keep (The 1st 17 year old Wild Turkey)
I also enjoy a Eiroa The “First 20 Years” series cigar with this. It paired perfectly! This was my first time with this particular Eiroa cigar also. I'm a Turkey 101 drinker from way back. It's my go to Bourbon. This is a 86.8 proof whiskey and it is extremely smooth. It was the 2nd favorite of the group.

Wild Turkey American Honey Sting (The "Sting" is Ghost Pepper!)
Extremely sweet and yes it has a bite, you definitely get some burn from the Ghost Pepper and it lingers for a while. Nothing most could not handle was the groups opinion.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (No. 1 whiskey in the world last year according to Jim Murray's Wiskey Bible.)
This is the 1st Rye that I've had that I actually liked. The comment was "how can you not, not like this?"

The Glenrothes 1995 Single Malt Scotch
I'm not a peaty fan but I liked this Speyside dram. The peat was just slightly detectable.

Oban 14 Year Old Single Malt Scotch
I'm going to have to add this to my liquor cabinet. Very nice drinkable Highland single malt.

Ron Zacapa 23 Rum
Going to have to get a bottle of this too! I'm putting in my top five rums at #1 or #2. Got to do a side by side comparison to know for sure.
View attachment 635481
You gentlemen must have had a wonderful time. I am especially fond of the Oban. You should definitely add it to your cabinet.

Wow, nice! That must have been a great night.

Ron Zacapa 23 is probably my most favorite rum.

I'll have to search out the 17yo Wild Turkey. I only discovered WT last year -- I had always thought of it as frat boy fuel. But at a tasting last year, I had the opportunity to try some of their offerings and became an instant fan.

Wow, nice! That must have been a great night.

Ron Zacapa 23 is probably my most favorite rum.

I'll have to search out the 17yo Wild Turkey. I only discovered WT last year -- I had always thought of it as frat boy fuel. But at a tasting last year, I had the opportunity to try some of their offerings and became an instant fan.

The turkey has some great products. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a very good Bourbon, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel is Excellent and a high proofer at 110. The 17yo Master Keep (mentioned above) is very, very good. It is available here in NH for $149. Weighing in at 86 proof it is a little light but, has a really great flavor profile. IMHO, For the price, they should have pushed the proof to 95 and it would be phenomenal. All are definitely worth trying. If you are looking to explore Wild Turkey and Jimmy Russell's offerings, I would give my nod to the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel for price and quality.

If you haven't tried it and like Wild Turkey try the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, a 101 proof, single-barrel bourbon, with each barrel personally chosen by Master Distiller Jimmy Russell.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My invite must have gotten lost in the mail.

:001_rolle

Sounds like a great time for all!!

Top Bottom