What's new

Any Sig guys?

I currently have the P320 compact 9mm which is a little large for carry. I'm currently looking at the P938 Equinox or Limited in 9mm or .40, how much smaller is it compared to Sigs compact? Hoping to find something smaller than the 320 compact but larger than pocket size.

I currently have the P320 compact 9mm which is a little large for carry. I'm currently looking at the P938 Equinox or Limited in 9mm or .40, how much smaller is it compared to Sigs compact? Hoping to find something smaller than the 320 compact but larger than pocket size.

See above for a couple of pics of P938's from myself and another gentleman. The 938 is much smaller than the other "compact" Sigs, especially in width since it's a single stack mini-1911 style gun. It's much smaller than the the P250 subcompact, actually. It's in the same range as the Rugar LC9, Keltec PF9, Kahr PM9/CM9, or other "pocket" 9mm. It's a step up from the 380 pocket guns, however. The 938 can be pocket carried (in large pockets), although it's just small enough to do so, in my opinion. One other factor, it's single action like any 1911, so need to carry cocked and locked (or with no round in the chamber). The thinness of these pocket single stack 9mm is what really makes it easier to carry. I struggle with my P250 (in .45), but the 938 is looking really good. I'm test carrying it with a pancake holster this week, and it's been excellent with no printing at all with just a loose tshirt on.

I'm not aware of a p938 in .40. Are you referring to another model there?

Last edited:

The P938 is strictly 9mm, as it's identical twin the P238 is .380 cal only. As mentioned above, the 938 is akin to a baby 1911. The design is inherently thinner than a double stack compact and is very carry-friendly. The drawback is, obviously, magazine capacity, but I am ok with that.

FWIW, the SAS model (mine) is designed as a carry gun, with almost all sharp edges rounded off from the factory. The 938 must be picking up steam, as there are a ton of variations available now from what there were just a year or two ago.

Thanks for the clarification...prefer the P938 SAS or Equinox model. I just need to figure out whether I prefer to carry only in the car or on my person too and where. I would prefer a double/single action but the 938 has a safety so it may not be an issue. Also looking at the Ruger SR9c and Walther PPK but its a .380 :angry: .

Thanks for the clarification...prefer the P938 SAS or Equinox model. I just need to figure out whether I prefer to carry only in the car or on my person too and where. I would prefer a double/single action but the 938 has a safety so it may not be an issue. Also looking at the Ruger SR9c and Walther PPK but its a .380 :angry: .

I prefer DA/SA as well, but the 1911 mechanism is fine in my opinion if it's got a good stiff safety on it and you keep the trigger and safety protected. The firing pin in the 938 is held back by a little fork that's engaged by the first bit of travel on the trigger, and the safety blocks the trigger and the hammer. I'm used to carrying DA/SA guns all my life (with safety on), so for me it's just part of muscle memory to go for the safety on the draw. My thumb just naturally goes for it even on guns that don't have a safety :001_smile

The 938 (or any of the pocket 9mm) could probably fill both roles, particularly if your on-body carry system is something you can take on and off easily (like a clip on IWB or OWB holster, pocket carry, waist pouch/bag holster). Agree on the 380. If it's all you can carry, it's better than nothing, but it is a bit marginal, particularly with regard to getting the right balance of expansion and penetration with defense ammo given the low amount of available energy. That's why all of the single stack pocket 9mm have come out, giving you a duty caliber in a small size. That said, I have carried 380 on occasion (Smith SW380) when I just couldn't carry anything else. I'm hoping my 938 can fill that summertime roll as well with pocket carry.

The SR9c is a near full size gun - a bit tough to carry, but if that's just for the car could be good for that. That is another way to think of the problem, actually. Get something inexpensive (but full size) for the car - something you wouldn't cry over if stolen, then some thing small for on-body carry. The theft factor can be reduced with the use of a car gun safe.

Last edited:
Have any P938 owners heard about this slick little modification which gives the 938 2 extra rounds?

http://sigtalk.com/gun-projects/31280-how-modify-p290-mags-use-p938.html

I hadn't seen that, but it's apropos. My dad and I were talking and fiddling around with his p290 and my p938 (both recent purchases) last night. He was interested to see if the 7 round 938 mag would fit in the 290 (he's not a fan of the size of the 8 round 290 mag). It does fit, but the catch stops the magazine too early. I hadn't thought about trying the reverse, though. Indeed I wouldn't mind having some 8 rounds mags for backup. Thanks for the tip!

I prefer DA/SA as well, but the 1911 mechanism is fine in my opinion if it's got a good stiff safety on it and you keep the trigger and safety protected. The firing pin in the 938 is held back by a little fork that's engaged by the first bit of travel on the trigger, and the safety blocks the trigger and the hammer. I'm used to carrying DA/SA guns all my life (with safety on), so for me it's just part of muscle memory to go for the safety on the draw. My thumb just naturally goes for it even on guns that don't have a safety :001_smile

The 938 (or any of the pocket 9mm) could probably fill both roles, particularly if your on-body carry system is something you can take on and off easily (like a clip on IWB or OWB holster, pocket carry, waist pouch/bag holster). Agree on the 380. If it's all you can carry, it's better than nothing, but it is a bit marginal, particularly with regard to getting the right balance of expansion and penetration with defense ammo given the low amount of available energy. That's why all of the single stack pocket 9mm have come out, giving you a duty caliber in a small size. That said, I have carried 380 on occasion (Smith SW380) when I just couldn't carry anything else. I'm hoping my 938 can fill that summertime roll as well with pocket carry.

The SR9c is a near full size gun - a bit tough to carry, but if that's just for the car could be good for that. That is another way to think of the problem, actually. Get something inexpensive (but full size) for the car - something you wouldn't cry over if stolen, then some thing small for on-body carry. The theft factor can be reduced with the use of a car gun safe.

Great info...thanks! Looking thru Sig's current catalog and found a 1911 Ultra. More expensive and a fraction larger than the 938 but may be an option. Would have to see them next to each other to compare.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-ultra-two-tone.aspx

Great info...thanks! Looking thru Sig's current catalog and found a 1911 Ultra. More expensive and a fraction larger than the 938 but may be an option. Would have to see them next to each other to compare.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-ultra-two-tone.aspx

You bet. Indeed, that's a sweet firearm. After carrying around this 938 this week, I can see the attraction of the 1911 format in general, with its relatively narrow frame. Indeed if I was going to carry .45 very consistently, I think I'd lean toward a 1911 style gun over my double stack P250. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
You bet. Indeed, that's a sweet firearm. After carrying around this 938 this week, I can see the attraction of the 1911 format in general, with its relatively narrow frame. Indeed if I was going to carry .45 very consistently, I think I'd lean toward a 1911 style gun over my double stack P250. Good luck in your search.

Do you have the compact or subcompact 250? I have the P320 compact and wondering if I can downsize the grip module to subcompact?

Do you have the compact or subcompact 250? I have the P320 compact and wondering if I can downsize the grip module to subcompact?

I have the Subcompact 250. I'm not sure on compatibility between the compact/fullsize slides and trigger assembly and the subcompact grip. I seem to recall there is an issue there. I'll dig around a bit, as I'm not totally sure.

The 938 safety is a solid thumb click; I have no doubt that it isn't going bang unless I consciously put it in a condition to do so. I have a 1911 also, so the little Sig just came naturally to me. If you aren't used to it, it could take a while to get into your comfort zone with it though. I carry in condition 1 only, and only pistols in the same battery of arms, though a thumb sweep of a non-existent safety is less of a factor than the reverse scenario. I just like to keep all of them consistent with each other unless it is strictly a range gun. Personal preference.

I have the Subcompact 250. I'm not sure on compatibility between the compact/fullsize slides and trigger assembly and the subcompact grip. I seem to recall there is an issue there. I'll dig around a bit, as I'm not totally sure.

Did some digging on Sig Talk and found out that the compact slide can be used on subcompact grip module. Many use this configuration as their EDC and it may be my best and least expensive option till I become more comfortable carrying in public.

If you aren't used to it, it could take a while to get into your comfort zone with it though. I carry in condition 1 only, and only pistols in the same battery of arms, though a thumb sweep of a non-existent safety is less of a factor than the reverse scenario. I just like to keep all of them consistent with each other unless it is strictly a range gun. Personal preference.

Thanks...I've read that it's best to have guns with the same characteristics. Good idea about practicing the thumb sweep on non-existent safety. I would probably carry the 938 without a bullet in the tube and use the slide to chamber a bullet and **** the hammer. Is this advisable?

Thanks...I've read that it's best to have guns with the same characteristics. Good idea about practicing the thumb sweep on non-existent safety. I would probably carry the 938 without a bullet in the tube and use the slide to chamber a bullet and **** the hammer. Is this advisable?

In 1911 circles, that is what is referred to as "condition 3", with the conditions of readiness being 1, 2, or 3 (apologies if you were already aware). I personally wouldn't do it, because I am operating under the assumption that in a scenario where I would have to draw my pistol, I would either, a. need it ready to fire as soon as it came out, or b. not want the sound of the slide being racked to give away the fact that I had a gun.

The only issue that I have with carrying the 938 in condition 1 is that it lacks the additional 2nd safety on the grip of the 1911. I always double check the thumb safety on the Sig for this reason.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. In condition 3, the pistol is virtually a bludgeon until some very specific actions are taken to make it ready to fire. If you practice with it that way though, you can minimize that lag time. It is virtually impossible for you to experience a negligent discharge in this condition though.

In 1911 circles, that is what is referred to as "condition 3", with the conditions of readiness being 1, 2, or 3 (apologies if you were already aware). I personally wouldn't do it, because I am operating under the assumption that in a scenario where I would have to draw my pistol, I would either, a. need it ready to fire as soon as it came out, or b. not want the sound of the slide being racked to give away the fact that I had a gun.

The only issue that I have with carrying the 938 in condition 1 is that it lacks the additional 2nd safety on the grip of the 1911. I always double check the thumb safety on the Sig for this reason.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. In condition 3, the pistol is virtually a bludgeon until some very specific actions are taken to make it ready to fire. If you practice with it that way though, you can minimize that lag time. It is virtually impossible for you to experience a negligent discharge in this condition though.

Great info! Agree...most concerned about accidental discharge which is why a proper holster that covers the trigger is so important. Not aware of the different conditions, I'm assuming 1 is "hot"; what's condition 2? It's all about practice and being comfortable. I've begun my search for the 938 Equinox or SAS model. Sold out in a lot of places online.

Unfortunately, because I work for the federal government in Washington DC, I'm not able to carry. I live in VA and ride the subway into DC and feel most uncomfortable riding the subway since there's been a recent spike of attacks by gangs of young men jumping and assaulting people.

Condition 2 is round in the chamber with the hammer down. This is generally considered a bad practice for a 1911 as the only way to achieve this is to slowly lower the hammer down while pulling the trigger. If the hammer slips off of your thumb while lowering, the gun could go off as the firing pin block is disengaged when the trigger is pulled. Personally, I think if you're careful, you can do this safely. However, there's really not much advantage in doing so. It takes the energy out of the gun, which does make the gun safer, but as long as you have protection for the trigger and the safety engaged you're fine in condition 1, in my opinion.

I agree with 73 on the lack of a grip safety... I wish it had one. I've been test carrying my 938 in a pancake holster all week for every waking hour (well, outside the shave :) ) just to make sure the safety stays engaged. I've been sitting in all kinds of chairs, with the gun pressing up against myself and many surfaces, including while driving, in the 4-4:30 position. No issues whatsover. The safety is quite stiff on this gun (probably intentionally so), so I don't think it's going to be a problem. The particular holster I'm using has a thumb break on it that goes over the hammer area, and also covers the safety. Even if the safety were to somehow disengage, with the trigger protected there's still virtually no chance of an unintentional discharge. The trigger pull is of course single action, but does have a bit of take-up and a heavy pull (I think spec'd around 8 pounds).

On condition 3 carry, it's certainly one way to roll, but I'm not too comfortable with it myself. Under stress you might accidentally ride the slide forward a bit while racking in the first round which can lead to failure to feed. Then, you've got a jammed up gun that you've got to clear in a hurry. Jams can always happen, but they mostly happen with hand racking. As 73 said though, it's all about what you're comfortable with . Condition 3 is fine..just make sure you're well practiced at the necessary actions. You may have to perform those actions while under duress.

Last edited:
$Sigbullet.jpg$sig1.jpg

Sigs best bargain as far as I'm concerned.The SP2022 is shunned by some Sig owners because of the polymer lower but an excellent shooting and accurate firearm Love mine.

Top Bottom