What's new

Move over metrosexual's, The rise of the Lumbersexuals are upon us

It did take longer than I expected it to in a thread like this. For the most part, at least, the general perception in the public is changing about how those of us with lots of tattoos or piercings are seen, which is a positive step. :)

Sadly, I don't think anything has changed on B&B. It took longer than expected because the OP was quickly Moderated of content (posted link) and moved from General Shaving Forum to Beards and Moustaches, where many threads go to die. People who clean shave daily, or believe every adult male should be, have no reason to frequent the Beards and Moustaches sub-forum.

Maybe B&B needs a long haired/beards/tattoo/stubble/hipster/lumbersexual sub-forum? :laugh:

It's not my look, but every person falls into a certain style somewhere. Living in Portland certainly makes this look seem ordinary, and kind of boring actually. When so many people do it, it loses the impact it's supposed to make.

Move over Metrosexuals and your clean shaven from head to toe look.

The "Lumbersexual" man is upon us. Or maybe you are more of the urbanized "Metrojack" kind of guy? Either way, it isn't gonna sell more razors anytime soon.

proxy.php

or maybe the more urbanized "Metrojack" is more you your liking?

proxy.php
And the guy on the extreme right is wearing Ironworker boots... probably Redwing 877 or Thorogoods.

Here's what Ironworker wedge soled boots are supposed to look like!! Beat up, oily, and worked in! LOL

$uploadfromtaptalk1432586559795.jpg

Mr Jimmy Niggles ...

View attachment 631597

​I've never heard of him , but I'd say he qualifies ...

I don't think so.. something about that just says to me he's the real deal, and not just wearing a "fashion". In the example pics above, I see putting an axe in their hands and having to take them to the emergency room soon after to reattach some piece of themselves. Whereas with Mr Jimmy there, it looks like if you put an axe in his hands, he'll have a clearing made and a cabin built from what he cut down in record time. lol

Your right Rat , After I posted I thought ,I wonder if this means wana be real men , or REAL GUYS that know how to Actually work , and work hard not call mamma to come chop a tree down cause they don't want to , they're too tired , etc. , or go camping , and drive they're Cube Daddy bought , home to go to the bathroom . Jimmy , here , looks REAL , and Normal , Natural , not faking it . Haha ! Sorry I should have read more to figure out what was the deal before Posting . And Sorry Jimmy Niggles for getting put in this category undeservedly . .... I know what the metros are , Lumbersexual , Metro-jacks = equals faking manliness , going for the look . Metro's seem to flaunt their Un-manliness (wanna be something else , just have made the final leap or bow or ... whatever ) .

I screwed up ! Thanks for clarifying things , I'm not in the loop (Thankfully) .

I don't think so.. something about that just says to me he's the real deal, and not just wearing a "fashion". In the example pics above, I see putting an axe in their hands and having to take them to the emergency room soon after to reattach some piece of themselves. Whereas with Mr Jimmy there, it looks like if you put an axe in his hands, he'll have a clearing made and a cabin built from what he cut down in record time. lol

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Bad for Gillette and may in part be due to their overpriced gimmicks...I mean cartridges (oops). I hear they have a new pivotal cartridge where you have to mortgage your first born to successfully afford to shave with it. At least they keep making moves that are more of a problem for them than a solution lol! The good news in all of this is the market seems to be going in two directions and both away from Gillette. One stubble and beards are in, and two on line sales of men's shaving gear has doubled this year alone and is an unprecedented rise. Just notice how many newbies we get a week here!

Last edited:
I wish judgementalism would go the way of daily 3-piece suits...it's just so inconvenient to have to constantly make myself seem superior to someone else because of style choices...

I wear flannels. Many of them are older than the average "hipster". I wear a full beard, and portions of this beard have been attached to my face for more than 20 years...ALSO older than the average "hipster". I cut trees and split logs, and install fireplaces for a living...I would never be so bold as to classify myself as a "logger"...those guys are tougher than leather and harder than nails.

I'm fairly well at a loss for words when it comes to pre-determining someone else's worth based on the clothing they choose to wear or the facial accoutrements they choose to flaunt... Judgement just isn't something I enjoy...

And who really cares if a guy with a huge full beard can't change the oil in his car? I see guys running around in Harley t-shirts that couldn't shift one into first gear, let alone actually maneuver one through a curve. So what? I see girls wearing yoga pants that wouldn't know the definition of the word "Prana" if you smacked them with a yoga mat. So what?

Be you. I'll be me. Respect me, I'll respect you. And if you happen to be dressed like a lumberjack, stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, I'll happily pull over on my motorcycle to help you change it...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
And who really cares if a guy with a huge full beard can't change the oil in his car? I see guys running around in Harley t-shirts that couldn't shift one into first gear, let alone actually maneuver one through a curve. So what? I see girls wearing yoga pants that wouldn't know the definition of the word "Prana" if you smacked them with a yoga mat. So what?
o
ROFL! Spit my coffee out on the yoga pants comment (Om Shakti Om Billie Bob Kali Ma)! I hear you. I grew up in the mountains without electricity and have used a chainsaw and a maul since I was knee high to a toadstool! I used to drive my 64 Ford through the snow until it got stuck...loaded it up with dead trees I cut down using the extra weight alone to drive out drinking hot chocolate and schnapps with a doobie hanging from my mouth...and all done clean shaven! :001_smile

Last edited:
I wish judgementalism would go the way of daily 3-piece suits...it's just so inconvenient to have to constantly make myself seem superior to someone else because of style choices...

[....]

Be you. I'll be me. Respect me, I'll respect you. And if you happen to be dressed like a lumberjack, stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, I'll happily pull over on my motorcycle to help you change it...
Yes sir. This is the right attitude, but unfortunately it's lacking here on B&B, where being a "gentleman" is touted, but often belied by sneering elitism when it comes to people's style choices. I love this forum, and it's why I've stuck around so long, but the "ugly side" of it has not softened much over the years.

No, the ugly side is judgementalism. You know...where people feel superior to someone else because of clothing tastes and choices...

Something really important like that...

But what if the other person is intentionally dressing in a certain manner to elicit a response, or to broadcast a certain attitude?

They are demanding to be judged by others so that they can feel oppressed, thereby justifying their feelings of alienation, ennui, and the need to drown their troubles in Pabst Blue Ribbon, or other such ironic throwback beverage of choice.

But what if the other person is intentionally dressing in a certain manner to elicit a response, or to broadcast a certain attitude?

They are demanding to be judged by others so that they can feel oppressed, thereby justifying their feelings of alienation, ennui, and the need to drown their troubles in Pabst Blue Ribbon, or other such ironic throwback beverage of choice.

I don't really understand the discussion thus far nor the comments!

If someone chooses to wear the spring collection from the periodical Garbageman Monthly, or decides to wear the top 10 Faerie/ nymph/ water-spirit attire. Their choice is really no big deal to me. Heck wear whatever you feel comfortable in and that doesn't expose your privates for me to have to ignore. Proper attire has gone the way of proper grammar and proper table manners, it's a do whatever seems right to you kind of world today. I may not dress that way myself, or eat that way, or speak that way, but you doing it doesn't upset me or cause me any undue duress.

Do I find some trends funny? Absolutely! But I wouldn't want to insult someone for their style choices just as i wouldn't want someone insulting me for my style.

I wear a Stetson Fedora many days and that is pretty rare in today's culture. I get lots of comments and questions at times. Most folks are nice but some make rather rude remarks at times. Just part of being a human I suppose.

I do find some modern trends to be kind of funny, and some to be downright bizarre, but I just don't go around calling someone I see in that clothing or with that hairstyle names. Just my two cents on the subject, not worth even that much, as always YMMV!
:001_cool:

It's not my look, but every person falls into a certain style somewhere. Living in Portland certainly makes this look seem ordinary, and kind of boring actually. When so many people do it, it loses the impact it's supposed to make.

The same could be said for Tattoo's as well you know. As a kid growing up in the late 1960's to the mid 1970's two types of people had Tattoo's that were visible on their body. One was ex military men, the other was the convict or bad guy. A Tattoo on a woman was so rare as to be in the traveling fair side-shows. And any woman with one was instantly judged to be morally suspect in a big way.

Today a Tattoo is so common as to elicit not even a passing mention in conversation. It's as common as dirt now on men and women. And has lost quite a bit of it's previous prestige. The same holds true in the fashion and style world. What is hot and new today becomes old and tired tomorrow. Having been younger and worn the trendy clothes of the day. And now being older and recognizing that clothes mean a whole lost less than other things, I am kind of at the point of saying, "just leave them alone, the style will change again in 18 moths or so" and that is where I am on the issue.

As I got older I developed my own style, which I like and enjoy, if you don't like your own style I feel sorry for you.
:001_cool:

I'm always bewildered by this stuff. Why does such a large group of men care so much about what other large groups of men are wearing? And since when is a man measured by his tree cutting capabilities? If a guy wants a kick a** beard, who says he can't have one? I'm willing to say I've used a power saw more than a lot of people reading this post. I don't have a beard though. So maybe I should grow one to be legit and be silently judged by faceless people on the internet where they determine if people qualify as a man or not? Stuff like this is so bland.. It's passive aggressive bullying.

Last edited:
People have the right to express their own style as they so choose.

Other people have a right to their own opinion about said style.

If the party of the first part is put off by the reaction of the party of the second part to the extent that their feelings are in some way hurt. I would submit to the court that they were a bit too insecure to successfully "pull off" said style in the first place, and perhaps should rethink their style choices before venturing out in public.

If, on the other hand, they choose some style that causes a reaction in others, and boldly face any and all obstacles in their way, continuing on regardless, then they are "owning it", and we can all offer "mad props" to them for their fortitude in the face of opposition.

The concept of the necessity that all must accept the ideas of the few is a modern construct that seems to me to be flawed at it's very foundation. The idea of individuality is that one may stand out from the crowd, not blend in and be fully accepted.

Top Bottom