What's new

Witch hazel

I've tried the cotton pad method as well as just splashing it on. I prefer to just splash it on. YMMV.

Does anyone else think regular witch hazel smells like a steamed hotdog served at the ballpark?

Steamed hot dog would be a refreshing change for me. The brand I use "Dickenson's" smells like I splashed day old urine from a subway station on my face post-shave.
~~~Reminder to self: get different brand of witch hazel~~~~

I got an old small spray bottle had Benadryl in it I belive, cleaned it out put my Thayers in it now I have a witch hazel atomizer.

Read an article recently where someone suggested using WH preshave as well as post. I thought what the hell I'll give it a go and to my surprise I've had my best shaves ever since. Might not work for everyone but I would seriously recommend giving it a try.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Put some in my palm, rub hands together and then rub over my face and neck. Easy peasy!

+1 Cotton balls will work, but use up your WH twice as fast. And get some Thayer's WH, not the stinky stuff. A bottle lasts me about two years so this seems like a crazy place to try and save money.

Read an article recently where someone suggested using WH preshave as well as post. I thought what the hell I'll give it a go and to my surprise I've had my best shaves ever since. Might not work for everyone but I would seriously recommend giving it a try.

I think I remember reading several years ago (like 50) about someone dipping the tips of his brush in witch hazel prior to making lather. I never tried it, but have been considering trying it.

Great stuff though splashed on the face. Cotton balls are a complication IMHO. After shaving my neck, my uncle the Italian barber used to splash some on. The smell reminds me of Uncle Al.
...and Witch Hazel does smell a bit medicinal... but not on my luckiest day did it ever smell like bacon. If it did I'd probably be dead from poisoning.

I use Max LS Water Lotion for the same purpose and apply it with a cotton pad, not cotton ball, The liquid stays near the surface so less is needed or wasted.

Anybody find a big difference between the drugstore WH -found next to the rubbing alcohol and peroxide- and the specialized brands? I had bought a bottle of Thayer's mostly because we share a name a while back but didn't find any benefit. I recently rediscovered witch hazel and the generic pharmacy brand is a constant in my routine. I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a nicer bottle or not.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've never picked up generic or store brand, but I use the $4 Dickinson's every day. I found no difference between it and Thayer's non-alcoholic unscented, other than the price.

Splash the Dickesons on the face, the Osage Rub on the scalp - I find it helps with folliculitus. Follow with AS of the day.

PS: not a head shaver, but every Monday hit it with clippers and a #1 so it is almost shaved.

Welcome to B&B! I use it as a splash. Fill one palm with a generous amount, rub my hands together quickly and then splash it on! Thayers unscented works the best for me and you may even consider using a generous amount as your only aftershave product once or twice to get a feel for what it can do for your skin.

Top Bottom