What's new

Are there "must-have" brushes?

So, with all the appropriate disclaimers (YMMV, EIEIO, ETC...), I've got a question that's been bugging me:

Are there "must-have" brushes, and if so, what are they?

I searched the board, and found a short (but good) list of must-have products, but no list of must-have brushes, so I thought I'd ask. Even with YMMV, there are probably some brushes that most of us would agree are at the top of the list of brushes most likely to work well for most people.

I'd start off with, probably, the Rooney 3/1.

Anyone want to chime in?

The Rooney 3/1 has certainly been getting a lot of praise. I've used mine every morning for over a year.

Ok, I had to jump in here and back up this clam. The Rooney 3/1 rocks.

I'ts all I can do to grab another brush so my 3/1 gets a chance to rest.....:biggrin:

pre-Vulfix Simpson Polo 8 best. The most versatile brush I've used so far. The Universal Brush really... :w00t:

A few people have recommeded a Rooney Style 3, Size 1, but no one has done a review of this brush. It would be nice to have those with the different loft sizes (Classic vs. Vintage) do a review. :wink:

+1 to the Shavemac 22579. I much prefer it to the Rooney 3-1.

but for beginners, definitely a B&B Essential.

Igg,

I think you're learning that there ain't no such thing as "best". There are a lot of very good products out there, but you will get none of our experts to agree on what is best. Rooneys and Shavemacs will likely top the list, but you will have to determine for yourself which, from the array of brushes, will fit your hand best and feel the best on your face.

Heck of an answer, huh?:001_huh:

Igg,

I think you're learning that there ain't no such thing as "best". There are a lot of very good products out there, but you will get none of our experts to agree on what is best. Rooneys and Shavemacs will likely top the list, but you will have to determine for yourself which, from the array of brushes, will fit your hand best and feel the best on your face.

Heck of an answer, huh?:001_huh:

Great answer, Bruce.

Igg - Am I right to assume that you're looking for a starter brush? Or are you looking to pick up a new brush? Or are you just looking to make up a list?

I'm going to have to post my favorite brush. Works well with both creams and soaps...not super dense, not too soft, not too scrirtchy, great size...the Simpsons T2 with 2 band super hair. If I had to eliminate all but one, this would be it.

Great answer, Bruce.

Igg - Am I right to assume that you're looking for a starter brush? Or are you looking to pick up a new brush? Or are you just looking to make up a list?

Just looking for a list, in part self-interestedly, but also in part just to create one.

I've got a Rooney 3/1, a Kent BK4, an Omega 6215, and a C&E BBB. I feel a bit of SBAD coming on and am trying to decide if I pull the trigger, what trigger to pull. My favorite of the bunch is probably the Rooney, though the Omega with creams is fantastic. I was toying with either SR3824 or maybe Shavemac (e.g., a 177); but, I'm really trying to see what everyone thinks are the must-haves. Frederik's & Bob's Polo recommendations are intriguing, though I was also thinking around the $100-ish mark plus or minus. Frederik also noted the lingering questions about whether the production quality will stay up to par, though I think I'm seeing a trend toward "yes" (?). Granted there's a heapin' helping of YMMV involved, as Bruce correctly notes; but, there also appear to be some consensus winners (e.g., the Rooney 3/1). Thanks all!

Top Bottom