What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

Kent,

I got to use some of the sample that you sent me yesterday. The scent is pretty awesome, but I don't particularly scent tobacco in it. Lather was on the slicker end of the spectrum and took a huge amount of water. I actually just rubbed the croap into my face like a cream and then lathered it. Unfortunately I don't think I loaded enough on to my face, which led to a lighter lather than I liked. Post shave was actually pretty good for Razorock. I didn't use any aftershave and my skin was happy. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty damn good summer soap.

Agreed, it's a good summer soap. My only dither is with an over-busy scent; that's a first-world problem for sure.

I have had a jar in the fridge since the day I bought it, just cracked it open and it has changed. It is as firm or firmer then MdC and still has the same scent.

It is now at room temp to see if if stays after the temp comes up.

The pic doesn't do any justice as it looks soft but as you can see, there is no more oily and solidified parts to it.

I may be on to something here, I sure hope so.

proxy.php

I have had a jar in the fridge since the day I bought it, just cracked it open and it has changed. It is as firm or firmer then MdC and still has the same scent.

It is now at room temp to see if if stays after the temp comes up.

The pic doesn't do any justice as it looks soft but as you can see, there is no more oily and solidified parts to it.

I may be on to something here, I sure hope so.

proxy.php

I am interested if it goes back after being at room temp. Mine is like a cream with oil on it. I like it but it is the exact consistency to be impossible to load. Too soft to swirl the brush on and too firm to get it to lather easy in a bowl like a cream would.

I am interested if it goes back after being at room temp. Mine is like a cream with oil on it. I like it but it is the exact consistency to be impossible to load. Too soft to swirl the brush on and too firm to get it to lather easy in a bowl like a cream would.
I sure hope it stays. I hate the consistency of this stuff.

I'll give it until morning, lid on, in bathroom, before opening and reporting back. That should be enough time for it to switch back or stay firm.

What happened?!?!!?!:lol:

Well, something happened with the soap. Whether it was the month of sitting or the actual fridge storage, but the soap is firmer.

It is not rock hard like it was when it was cold out of the fridge, but has firmed up nicely. No more oily patches and the appearance is snow white. To the touch and firm press, it is on par with other RR soaps (only soft soap I have on hand to compare).

It now looks and feels like a soap made to load directly from the container. It had been sitting at room temp for 12+ hours now and don't think any more warming up will change it, but I'll check it again tonight, 12 hrs from now and post back.

So far, I'm happy.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Might just try that trick with the fridge with this soap. It's just too soft so it's a real pain to load this soap when i'm using a boar brush. The brush just literally is trying to dig through the soap and moves that soft soap to the sides of the jar. It's litte bit easier when using badger but still don't like it.

I'm going to use this soap all week so let's see how i feel about after couple of days.

I recently had purchased this soap and was both amazed and disappointed. I like the lather but the menthol scent reminds me of vaporub ( lol ). I love Razorock products as they are very good quality and cost effective. Has anyone else out there experienced any of the issues with the smell as I have?

I do not get the vaporub scent. Too me I get a slight floral undertone and a classic Italian barbershop (I assume). The soap is top notch and I love it!

It lathers well but the mentholated scent throws back any warm tobacco scents as descibed. I do get a good shave and that is always the utmost importance. I could never use Phoenix soaps as they irritated me very bad.

In my opinion, the scent of SMdF is outstanding. It's spot on to the Santa Maria Novella Tobacco Toscano scent with the addition of menthol. And menthol is more than just a scent, as it works wonders on the skin.

In my opinion, SMdF (menthol and all) smells even better than Santa Maria Novella Shaving Cream and I love it.

I like the menthol with the tobacco/vanilla (eucalyptus?) scent. Fairly complex and strong, both of which are something I can appreciate in a soap. Just the right amount of menthol too; where it is cold, but not freezing.

I do not get anything like vaporub out of it.

Yes, I do agree that the menthol does obscure the other scents. I'm not a fan of the scent, but the soap is very good and the scent is weak, therefore it's not an issue for me. But I wouldn't buy the matching EdT.

Edited to add: after writing the above comment, I went home and decided to shave with SMdF. The tub had been in storage for over two months. To my surprise, I found the scent very different from what I remembered. The menthol is gone and I only smell a very faint aroma of eucalyptus way back in the background. I also think that the presence of the camphor was much stronger in the beginning and now it almost vanished, too. The scent is much nicer than I remembered it (but I still won't buy the EdT) and the color of the soap is also much lighter and uniform than in the beginning. Overall, very positive changes.

Last edited:
After using it for over a month now, the menthol/eucalyptus has dialed back some and I'm liking the scent a lot better. I don't know if the heaviest concentration of the menthol was on top or if this is just the magic of time. I haven't been leaving the jar open or anything - I just get my daily snurdle and pop the top right back on.
I'm liking this better every day and a good thing that is, too. It looks like I have another month or two left.

I sold mine over the scent. Not offensive or Vaporub or anything like that, I just didn't enjoy it. I got definite eucalyptus with hints, that always seemed to change, of either vanilla, tobacco or something floral. Just not my thing.

In other news, not one of my fellow RazoRockers around here has made a peep about the 4 new soaps Joe just released this week...... Did I miss something? lol

The menthol eucalyptus thing is always on my watch radar. I have a hard time with most of it any more. BTW, did I see someone mention a much earlier response in this thread that there was a similar stablemate that did not have the menthol? Thanks.

got some and love the soap. the scent is just okay for me. i dont pick up much of anything besides the tobacco and vanilla. however the one thing that was a bit annoying was both of my lids are dented up pretty good. i like to keep everything even my soaps looking nice and one jar the lid is beat to hell. the other is not as bad but still 3 or 4 dents. i followed the fridge things and did not even use the soap till it sat in the fridge for a few days and it was much less soft and lathered much easier. overall a great soap imo.

Last edited:
Four months in, and with almost daily use, there's still over half of the product left in the jar. Still waiting for that matching splash. I enjoy this soap today as much as the day it came in the mail.

Four months in, and with almost daily use, there's still over half of the product left in the jar. Still waiting for that matching splash. I enjoy this soap today as much as the day it came in the mail.

+1 on a Splash. Would love to have it.

Top Bottom