What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Stirling; some horrible scents, and all left a sticky residue that was difficult to rinseoff
Edwin & Jagger: weak lather

Williams Mug Soap
Van Der Hagen Deluxe
Bebelush Barbershop Shave Soap with Shea, Mango and Cocoa Butter

All were acceptable, but I've moved past them and focus on the real favorite performers (all tallow-based, BTW)

Last edited:
So far its tobs sandalwood, maggards orange menthol because they irritate my skin. Mls drunken goat, latha lavanda, summer storm, those are just scents that I don't enjoy. Cremo I don't like anything about it.

Melt and pour soaps.
MDC. Easy to lather but I found post shave very drying. Better choices for the price.
Klar. Average performance.
Valobra Fougere. Sub par scent and average performance.
Cella. Arko smells better to me.
Arko. The stick I have will last a lifetime. So will that scent.
Prairie Creations. Mediocre performance. Slow service.
WSP Fougere Noir. Disliked the scent. Nothing special performance wise.

Some fellow 'badgers' may think I am crazy for saying it, but I will not buy Shannon's Soaps again. Personally, I found the soaps I tried to be of average performance compared to say Sterling Soaps and the scents are (to my nose) inferior to Sterling Soaps. They were quite weak in comparison to the wonderful scents that Rod Sterling concocts.

Tim

VDH Deluxe...I wouldn't take it if they were giving it out for free. However, the VDH Scented Luxury has always performed well for me.

Provence Sante ... worst soap I ever tried.

It whipped up easily and produced some good looking and good smelling lather. But when I started to apply the blade, I got a lot of tugging and irritation and after the shave my face was red and burning.

I gave it a fair shot and tried it a couple more times over the next 2 weeks. By the 3rd shave, I had gotten the same results each time, and I concluded that I'm never going to use Provence Sante again.

I have a few soaps/creams I probably wont buy again. Not even because they are BAD, it's just that there are so many out there that are better, or come in better options.

Col Conk - used it for years, then branched out. Not worth coming back to.
TOBS creams - i feel they are overpriced and overrated for the shave
Arko - eh. Just eh.
Ogallala Sticks
Proraso cream - just enjoy the croap much better

if a guy was stuck in prison though, any one of these would serve just fine.

Oh boy, the list of soaps I wont try again is far longer than the soaps I will use again. Not because they are bad...but because others are better.

2 soaps come to mind that I simply would never waste my time on again;
- Current production Williams Mug Soap and Marvys Luxury Shaving Soap. Marvys edges Williams by a hair in scent and performance, but not enough to matter.

Cella, MWF, Provence Sante, Speick, Phoenix, Maggard, Wholly Kaw, Williams, MdC, Strop Shoppe, and all glycerin-based soaps

Will never buy again, no way:
Herban Cowboy - absolutely worthless, and I can usually lather a rock
Crabtree & Evelynn - old ones were very good, new ones are a waste of $$ very poor lather
Spinster Sisters - olive oil based. Learned my lesson here

Probably won't buy again, just not great for me:
Edwin Jagger
VDH
Williams - works OK and is cheap, just like others better

VDH, Colonel Conk, Crabtree & Evelyn, and Stirling.
I like Stirling but I made a couple of inquiries into their scents, at first I just haven't noticed the tab with the explanation of the scent, but when there were some that were vague and I inquired a second time I got such a rude response that I will not be purchasing anything from them! The other soaps on this list just didn't work well for me.
I am also leaning heavily towards not getting Proraso again.

I would not buy soapy bathman. Very poor lather and no protection. Cigar Lounge scent was a disappointment. Smelled like walking into a candle shop with a hint of cedar.

Top Bottom