What's new

Amber and Woody Aftershaves?

Greetings Gentlemen,

I am not a frequent visitor to this subforum but I am reaching out for some help today. First a little something about my AS preferences... I stay mostly old school and affordable with Old Spice, AV Ice Blue, Pinaud Clubman original, the Veg, even some Pinaud Special Reserve on rare occasion, and just about any bay rum. Lately I have been trying and enjoying some soaps that are classified as woody. Right know I am using PannaCrema Ebano which is described as "woody notes in the base, with a solid amber background".

Any recommendations on available/affordable aftershave (not cologne) that compliments "woody" in general and "amber" in particular?

The first one that came to mind was Aramis, but I'm terrible with describing scents. My "woody" might be someone else's "wet campfire" smell.

PS

Just saw your "affordable" caveat. Then my second suggestion would be Masters Challenge aftershave...classic barbershop.

Last edited:
If you want the barbershop grade of aftershaves, I also would suggest Master Challenge. I have this lotion and it is nice in the fall and winter. Spring for a bottle at about 7-8 dollars, you will be surprised at how good it is. The other lotion I would suggest is Colonel Conk Amber, a bit pricy at $20 per 4 ounce bottle, but good stuff anyway.

good to see you hereabouts.
just a couple thoughts on woodsy or ambery aftershave splashes.
how about zizanie, old school but a bit woody.
or DRH sandalwood aftershave splash?
or AOS sandalwood aftershave lotion?
also DRH Windsor aftershave is a bit woody, and citrusy, to me.
of course, Floid amber.
Perhaps Captains Choice sandalwood.
Or even Penhaligon's Bayolea, has a bit of woods with the bay rum and amber.

Hey thanks guys this is great! The Masters Challenge has me intrigued and is at my "cheapness" price point! I always have Masters Bay Rum on hand and like their products generally.

Lots of good sandalwood ideas that I will also keep in mind. For now I think I will go after the "ambery" stuff! I know have quite a list to dream about!

I concur with the recommendation of Challenge. It's a good product, especially for the price. You might pop over to Stirling Soaps and see if they have anything. They're a bit outside of the normal price range for us old school affordable types, but their products are good enough that I splurge once in a while.

by the way, T&H Grafton has some bottom notes of amber and woods. Nice stuff.

$truefitt and hill grafton gillette new standard art of shaving march 28 2015.jpg

I concur with the recommendation of Challenge. It's a good product, especially for the price. You might pop over to Stirling Soaps and see if they have anything. They're a bit outside of the normal price range for us old school affordable types, but their products are good enough that I splurge once in a while.

I think I am sold on trying the Master Challenge. Definitely at my price point and I seem to like anything "old school or barbershop". I use a variety of Stirling products so I need to dig into variations and see if there are any amber-noted products.

There aren't too many "Woody" Aftershaves that I know about aside form something like Sandalwood. Captain's Choice has a great Sandalwood. Also what comes to mind is Pino Silvestre. It has a very raw pine lumber kind of smell. I sampled it, but did not like it, because I was looking for a pine forest smell.

Now, complimentary scents is another story. I can think of lots there.

AV Musk
Amway Points North - vintage
Avon Deep Woods - vintage
Avon Oland - vintage
Avon Wild Country - vintage
Bay Rum
Booster Mosswood
Brut
Captain's Choice - North
English Leather
Saint Charles Shave - Fairway
Saint Charles Shave - Woods
Tabac
Vetiver - any brand
Vitos Colonia Tabacco

The vintage ones I listed are easily (and should be cheaply) found on ebay.

When I think of woodsy, I honestly think of English Leather. It's one of my favorites to use, and has glycerine to keep the skin moisturized and healthy. Very nice aftershave to keep in the collection!

There aren't too many "Woody" Aftershaves that I know about aside form something like Sandalwood. Captain's Choice has a great Sandalwood. Also what comes to mind is Pino Silvestre. It has a very raw pine lumber kind of smell. I sampled it, but did not like it, because I was looking for a pine forest smell.

Now, complimentary scents is another story. I can think of lots there.

AV Musk
Amway Points North - vintage
Avon Deep Woods - vintage
Avon Oland - vintage
Avon Wild Country - vintage
Bay Rum
Booster Mosswood
Brut
Captain's Choice - North
English Leather
Saint Charles Shave - Fairway
Saint Charles Shave - Woods
Tabac
Vetiver - any brand
Vitos Colonia Tabacco

The vintage ones I listed are easily (and should be cheaply) found on ebay.

I was so hoping you would jump in! The Master of Aftershave! Thanks!

When I think of woodsy, I honestly think of English Leather. It's one of my favorites to use, and has glycerine to keep the skin moisturized and healthy. Very nice aftershave to keep in the collection!

I had EL on my list. That was a signature scent back in my day and fitting with my vintage preferences! Thanks.

If you ever get to the UK the famous department store Marx and Spencer has their own line of ASL and EDT, one of their best scent is the Woodspice Amber. Also the Woodspice Green is very woody. Usually these are only £5 to £9 for a 120ml and very masculine.

If you ever get to the UK the famous department store Marx and Spencer has their own line of ASL and EDT, one of their best scent is the Woodspice Amber. Also the Woodspice Green is very woody. Usually these are only £5 to £9 for a 120ml and very masculine.

I saw that Woodspice Amber online. Intriguing!

Top Bottom