What's new

Merkur 34C vs Muhle R41

I was wondering what my fellow wet shavers thought when it comes to these two wonderful razors. Which razor do you find more effective at mowing down the whiskers?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It's sort of an apples to oranges comparison, but both are well regarded razors. I've used the 34c; its quite efficient and a good choice for most men. However, I like other Merkur models better. The R41 is much more aggressive and a good choice for experienced wetshavers. However, there are other avenues to a more aggressive shave, including adjustables, slants, other open combs. Everyone has to determine what works best for his own face.

Thanks for the insight. I use both regularly, but prefer the R41 for its ability to do in two passes what the 34c does in three and a touch-up. What slant would you recommend, I'm new to the forum.

I've used both and they really are just completely different. I love my R41 but sometimes I just want a nice easy shave.
As far as slants go, I've only used the 37C. Not a bad shaver, but just not for me.

I was wondering what my fellow wet shavers thought when it comes to these two wonderful razors. Which razor do you find more effective at mowing down the whiskers?

Definitely the R41, but I have sensitive skin and I get razor burn using it. I don't use it everyday, while the 34C is more like an every day razor, even if it is not as efficient as the R41. You get very close, though.

Definitely the R41, but I have sensitive skin and I get razor burn using it. I don't use it everyday, while the 34C is more like an every day razor, even if it is not as efficient as the R41. You get very close, though.

Try the R41 using the steep angle - minimizes razor burn and gives a very nice shave.

So the general consensus is the R41 is most effective and most aggressive. I think I'll shave solely with this for a few weeks.

So the general consensus is the R41 is most effective and most aggressive. I think I'll shave solely with this for a few weeks.

Yeah ..I think with a very light touch and a steeper handle angle may be a nice way to go. Some razors work well and I found the R41 to be one of then (along with the Gillette adjustables). That said I find I have to really concentrate to get a BBS from the Muhle R41. My skin can be a little uneven some days.

The R41 is pretty bloody efficient and chopping through dense growth. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah ..I think with a very light touch and a steeper handle angle may be a nice way to go. Some razors work well and I found the R41 to be one of then (along with the Gillette adjustables). That said I find I have to really concentrate to get a BBS from the Muhle R41. My skin can be a little uneven some days.

The R41 is pretty bloody efficient and chopping through dense growth. That's for sure.

Thank you all for your responses and I will def try a steeper angle 😁

Top Bottom