What's new

Futur or fatboy

I have never owned an adjustable and would like to know opinions on which one YOU like better, the Future or Fatboy. The most important variable to me is the closeness of the shave. If all things are equal,the tradition of the fatboy would win,but I am mostly interested in the closeness of the shave. I am a BBS junkie and ALL my razors are agressive and I am trying to add a little variety and thought an adjustable might be interesting. I was going to get a "new" but I keep hearing they are too mild so I know I wouldn't use it as much.Thoughts on which way to go?

I have never tried the Futur, but I love my Fatboy I run it at 9 with a feather or lab blue. I use it for both face and head shaving. I get a BBS that last most of the day. I can't imagine needing more, but if it went to 11 I would probably be there(that's just the way I am). I say get the Fatboy if you want one because you know you will eventually get one any way. Or you could get the Futur and try to find a Fatboy in the wild. That may take more time than you want depending on how good the hunting is in your area.

I personally DO own Both and You should too because although they are both adjustable, their characteristics are ENTIRELY different.

Futur: Yes, very aggressive, (not as aggressive in my opinion as they are made out to be though).
Fat Boy: Every bit as aggressive as my Futur with just a few more adjustment levels. Key point of interest that I have found with my two is that the Futur on setting one is comparable to setting three on my Fatboy. Setting 6 on my Futur does however blow setting 9 out of the water for aggressiveness on the Fatboy.

As far as under the nose goes, a lot of folks have issues there with the Futur, I have not noticed too much of a difference there vs the Fat Boy or the Slim, they all shave excellent under the schnoz for me.

Just my two cents on the subject and you may have different results, but that is what I have noticed most about these two Titan's, and they are definitely Titan's. Built Strong and Built to Last.

Hope that Helps a little:001_smile
Sincerely;
Nate

I personally DO own Both and You should too because although they are both adjustable, their characteristics are ENTIRELY different.

Futur: Yes, very aggressive, (not as aggressive in my opinion as they are made out to be though).
Fat Boy: Every bit as aggressive as my Futur with just a few more adjustment levels. Key point of interest that I have found with my two is that the Futur on setting one is comparable to setting three on my Fatboy. Setting 6 on my Futur does however blow setting 9 out of the water for aggressiveness on the Fatboy.

As far as under the nose goes, a lot of folks have issues there with the Futur, I have not noticed too much of a difference there vs the Fat Boy or the Slim, they all shave excellent under the schnoz for me.

Just my two cents on the subject and you may have different results, but that is what I have noticed most about these two Titan's, and they are definitely Titan's. Built Strong and Built to Last.

Hope that Helps a little:001_smile
Sincerely;
Nate

Thanks Nate--exactly what I was looking for

Well I have nothing against the Futur but after one shave with mine I traded it off. It's just not for me ergonomically speaking. Though I traded it before doing a direct comparison, all indications are that it will be more aggressive than a Fatboy when maxed out. Many here rave about it.

On the other hand I just recently started shaving with a '61 Fatboy on 5 (with a GSB) and I'm amazed what a smooth and easy to maneuver shaver it is. I expected a fairly irritation prone experience but it was in fact one of the best shaving (if not THE best) experiences I've ever had. Now I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

I plan to use it at 5 for a week and then try a week at 7. I liked it so much I went to Ebay and bought another one!

Thanks Nate--exactly what I was looking for

My Pleasure, I have the Black Beauty, the Slim and the Fat Boy from Gillette and the Futur and all of them are top notch shavers in their own right. The Futur is Heavier than all of them so that is another aspect to keep in mind with the Fatboy next, then the slim and then the SA for order of weight. I do like the SA's head to handle weight distribution though, especially when I was first starting out because it is very head heavy and that makes it easier for me to ensure that I am not Adding pressure to my face to force the shave and letting the head and blade do their work.

Well I have nothing against the Futur but after one shave with mine I traded it off. It's just not for me ergonomically speaking. Though I traded it before doing a direct comparison, all indications are that it will be more aggressive than a Fatboy when maxed out. Many here rave about it.

On the other hand I just recently started shaving with a '61 Fatboy on 5 (with a GSB) and I'm amazed what a smooth and easy to maneuver shaver it is. I expected a fairly irritation prone experience but it was in fact one of the best shaving (if not THE best) experiences I've ever had. Now I'm kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

I plan to use it at 5 for a week and then try a week at 7. I liked it so much I went to Ebay and bought another one!

That is also my plan, to get a couple more Fatboy's to add to the collection, just in case anything ever happens to mine. It is definitely one that I could not do without having in the rotation.

I went with the futur in Gold--- I love and always use aggressive razors and right now I am using the futur on 3 and its sweet--eventually I'll get a fatboy. Right now my rotation is ATT H2,R41(13),Shavetech, and 39C sledgehammer--AND I have an old on the way from a replater.

Last edited:
I went with the futur in Gold--- I love and always use aggressive razors and right now I am using the futur on 3 and its sweet--eventually I'll get a fatboy. Right now my rotation is ATT H2,R41(13),Shavetech, and 39C sledgehammer--AND I have an old on the way from a replater.

Outstanding. I know the Futur is a close shaver and its users all report nothing but excellent results with it.

That is also my plan, to get a couple more Fatboy's to add to the collection, just in case anything ever happens to mine. It is definitely one that I could not do without having in the rotation.

Every dedicated DE shaver needs one in their stable. I'm blown away how easy it is to get a flawless shave with.

Every dedicated DE shaver needs one in their stable. I'm blown away how easy it is to get a flawless shave with.
+1 to this, a minimum of one. I want more than one because then I can send mine out for replating and thorough overhaul. These razors in my opinion deserve the very best treatment because of the quality they are made with and the fact that they must be preserved since they will likely never be made this well again.

+1 to this, a minimum of one. I want more than one because then I can send mine out for replating and thorough overhaul. These razors in my opinion deserve the very best treatment because of the quality they are made with and the fact that they must be preserved since they will likely never be made this well again.

+1000!

I have/had had both. I sold the Futur after a a year or two. Not bad at all but there are better ones to be had.. My kept FB will never be on the market. Solid performer.

I have a Futur and I have Fatboys. I'd cry if you took any of them away, so the answer is (drum roll, please) - get both.

(Enabling RAD since 1955)

Get the Fatboy. You will need no other razor and it will last you a lifetime. Be aware that after you have one,you will want to buy several more.

I have both, but the Futur is never used, too bulka head to me. Fatboy is in my opinion far better when compared with the Futur when it comes to manouverability when shaving. To summarize; Fatboy is my advice to you when you consider to buy a Futur or Fatboy.

Top Bottom