What's new

Love at first light

I've been craving FVF ever since I finished my first tin. I also find, quiet often, that reach for escudo. I fell pretty hard hard of HH ODF and have just ordered another pound of it. Orlik Golden Slices will likely always be represented in the old cellar as will Dunhill de lux navy rolls.

I can't believe I forgot to add HH ODF to this. I just put in an order for another 100g to hold me over while I'm still here.

I think this is a very interesting idea for a thread. There are some blends that I now enjoy like GLP's Abingdon and Odyssey, but that were an acquired taste, and others that were indeed love at first light. My LAFL list to date would be:

Rattray’s Red Rapparee
McClelland Bombay Court
McClelland Bombay Extra

I have an order in for Rattray’s Black Mallory, so we’ll see if that makes the LAFL list.

Thanks for this thread Andrew! :thumbup1:

I fell hard for CH. I got a bunch of it for really cheap when a B&M was going out of business, I think I picked up about 25 pouches of the stuff for around $25. Lights easy, nice and mild, nothing crazy but still oh so satisfying. A couple others, FM Cellar, HHODF, Solani ABF

Adding to my other post:
- PS LNF
- SG BBF

I have to thank Andrew for putting me onto the BBF. That stuff tastes SO good.

THATS IT!!!!! I'm getting some Best Brown Flake!!!!!!!!!!!!
shoot! ..coulda. Shoulda.

My list for this thread could get pretty long, but the standouts are Davidoff Flake Medallions, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Dunhill Light Flake & Aperitif, McClelland Blackwoods Flake & 5100, HH Mature Virginia, Esoterica Dunbar & Tilbury, Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, Peretti Tashkent & Cambridge Flake, SG St. James Flake, HoC Grandfather's Own & Meerschaum Only, PH Dark Strong Flake, Hal O the Wynd, H&H Anni Kake, and probably several I'm just forgetting.. like OGS, for example..

Another interesting idea for a thread would be tobaccos that made a mediocre, or even bad first impression, then became über faves after revisiting at a later date, or after several tries. Escudo and EMP would be kings of this list for me, and it would be a long list.. Stonehaven, FVF, Pembroke, HH Vintage Syrian & ODF, Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist Flake, and Plum Pudding would be some others on that list.

I have thought about this thread a bit and while there are some tobacco that I think will maintain a constant presence in my "cellar" such as Frog Morton and HalOtheWynd. There is only one tobacco that haunts me. I had a sample of this and really was blown away. I missed getting a tin by mere minutes because my phone wanted to act up mid order.

My "LAFL" is Pelican.

shoot! ..coulda. Shoulda.

My list for this thread could get pretty long, but the standouts are Davidoff Flake Medallions, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Dunhill Light Flake & Aperitif, McClelland Blackwoods Flake & 5100, HH Mature Virginia, Esoterica Dunbar & Tilbury, Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley, Peretti Tashkent & Cambridge Flake, SG St. James Flake, HoC Grandfather's Own & Meerschaum Only, PH Dark Strong Flake, Hal O the Wynd, H&H Anni Kake, and probably several I'm just forgetting.. like OGS, for example..

Another interesting idea for a thread would be tobaccos that made a mediocre, or even bad first impression, then became über faves after revisiting at a later date, or after several tries. Escudo and EMP would be kings of this list for me, and it would be a long list.. Stonehaven, FVF, Pembroke, HH Vintage Syrian & ODF, Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist Flake, and Plum Pudding would be some others on that list.
+1 on Stonehaven. I thought it was bland.... I was all about full English & VaPer(Haddo's Delight) at the time. Revisited it about a year later and really enjoyed it.

I think McClelland's red cake and Butera's Dark stoved can be thrown onto my growing pile of LAFLs.

I don't know if I posted it before but Haddo's Delight is on there too. Love that stuff.

I have been smoking 1Q for years, I started with it and couldn't let it fall to the wayside even as I moved away from aromatics. I have to have it on hand and I'm lucky that a local tobacco shop keeps it in stock (just a "cigarette store" really)

Mclelland's old world classic cake is another must have

The rest of my cellar is odds and ends that I picked up to try and mostly take it or leave it since I havent branched out much in the past couple of years.

For me it is any blend made in the 1940's or 50's. I have been fortunate to score a couple pounds of tobacco from that era, still sealed in their tins. Nothing, and I mean, nothing made today even comes close to the smooth flavor of tobacco that has 60 to70 birthdays of aging.
as. Noted blender told me, today they try to get the best leaf they can, but back then, only the finest leaf was made into pipe tobacco, and there was many times more tobacco grown available to select from.

Cheers all, just put an order in for some 5g samples of;
Holger Danske Royal Navy flake
squadron leader
dunhill nightcap
Orlick golden sliced
& a pack of 7 seas royal blend

Geeez. Lots of "hardy" flakes and stout tobaccos in this thread... My tastes are a bit "lighter"... Gotta say that Autumn Evening has really hit me hard, love that stuff...

Although I'll admit to a fascination with Kendal Flake, too. The lakeland tobaccos don't send me running for the hills as they do some...

Dean

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Right off hand, the ones that really grabbed my heart and tongue are:

Frog Morton on the Town
Villiger 1888 Early Day
PS Luxury Bullseye
Ashton Artisan's Blend

The Artisan's blend is a fun one, since it was pure desperation and serendipity. It was just recently, when I decided to pick my pipes back up. I didn't have any tobacco, though, and hadn't had a chance to run by my favorite store in town. That very same day that I got the bug again, I happened to have lunch about a minute's walk from a cigar store. I popped in to see if they had any pipe tobacco and was fairly disappointed that they had only a very, very small selection of tins (and none that I recognized). After reading the description on the Artisan's Blend, it sounded like it would, at least, hold me for a day or few until I could make it to the shop or have an order come in. Upon opening the tin, I found a very pleasant surprise that only improved upon lighting. Fun stuff, coming across something like that.

I have only been dabbling with pipes for a little over a year, so far the ones that have given me that "Whoa!" at first light:

PS Proper English
Frog Morton's Cellar
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake (rubbed, I tried folding it for the second bowl and not nearly as enjoyable)

Top Bottom