What's new

My Guess... 3017

My continued travels throughout the hot and humid deep south continues. Charleston, SC threatens to melt me and my Wilkinson Sword shave stick. I wish I had kept track of the number of shaves I have on it. This stick reminds me of all those good soaps that didn't hide behind scents that required 4 sentences to describe. Palmolive, vintage Old Spice, vintage Colgate, vintage Williams, the list goes on. A good performing soap that is quick and easy to use, has a mild scent that doesn't try to take center stage. The WS shave stick embodies just about everything I look for in a shave soap. Except for one thing...I'm not a big fan of shave sticks for every day use. They are great on the road though.

Good thing that's easy to remedy.

I was looking forward to my WS stick before. Now its up there with Haslinger on my curiosity scale.

Honestly its nothing mind blowing...its just a good easy to use soap. I am a low drama kinda guy. I just want to find a soap where I can grab it in the morning, use it, and get on with my day without a rash or razor burn to keep reminding me of what a crummy shave I had that morning, or an obnoxiously powerful scent that reminds me and everyone around me what I shaved with. The WS stick pretty much gets a B+ in slickness, protection, and mild scent. It gets a solid A in ease of use.

The WS stick pretty much gets a B+ in slickness, protection, and mild scent. It gets a solid A in ease of use.

Your impressions are similar to mine. Wilkie is an everyman's soap. No fuss, no muss, no powerful scent, just gets the job done at a good price.

Forgot how good AOS creams are. Really enjoyed the Lemon shave this morning. This tub is about 1/4 to 1/3 full and 3 or 4 years old, but it still smells as good as day one and the shave was superb. I really was slumming it the last 6 weeks...

Officially caling it on the S. Maria. I have about 2g left, which will be added into the B&M Lime, Lavender and Cedarwood sample I have so as to make that more substantial.

On the clock is Lider Original cream. Container with lid weighs 32.8g and w/o lid is 30.4g. I'm estimating 25g of product and will hope to get through this by 8/31.

Musgo Real orange amber is no more. I measured 17.1 from a squeezed tube. I didn't cut it open or anything, but I pulled every shave possible out of it. Average shave over 67 grams was 2.6 across the B&B Essential boar, Plisson synthetic and Duke 3. Thursday I started with a normal load in the BBE, kept adding until I had WAY too much. Moved it to the Duke 3 and finished off the tube to the tune of . . . 9.4g! Lol, it certainly was a nice shave. :-D

$20150813_222029.jpg

Last edited:
Lider Original lathers well and protects well, but it has this synthetic-soapy-lemon-lime scent going on that I don't really care for. This might be one of those products where I break out the Blue Tip, so I can shave every day to use up the product quicker. :lol:

I am glad that I am relatively tall and am able to reach the soaps on the top shelf. Haslinger is still killing it.

After a handful of shaves with Arko Cool I've decided to put it in the PIF-pile. This is the third product from Evyap that has not worked for me. I'm wondering if I should even try the remaining three tubes.
My next victim is a Melt n Pour shaving soap from "Handmade Naturals by Deb". This small puck has some use on it already and should go quick. The first shave was OK, with great post shave feel. So the initial impressions are....that I should give it five more shaves before having any initial impressions :)

Not a fair fight today.

I decided to try Marco method with the Latha using my big 26x58 shavemac 2 band. I used a little less water and loaded a little less to try and get 3 passes instead of 5 like I normally get with this method. I got thin watery lather.

Then it got out the scuttle and did regular Marco method and got a lot more thin watery lather.

Finally I squeezed the brush and loaded dry and got a much better, thicker lather. That's how I will load from here out.

The damage was 6g of product used today. At this rate I'll be lucky if I'm using it a week from now.

Using the Vie Long Beehive in Natural Horse with Mike's last week, I was really getting some great lathers after blooming the soap. A 30 second load was overkill, so I dialed back the loading time to 20 seconds for the last couple of shaves with the brush, and had plenty. This week, I'm using the Chubby 2, and I found this morning that 20 seconds loading is not enough, which isn't surprising. The bigger the knot, the more product you need. In any case, Mike's is providing me with solid, reliable shaves. Slickness leaves a bit to be desired, but I can't quibble with the really nice, pure lime scent, and between the tallow and lanolin in the soap, post-shave feel is excellent. I'm finding it to be a nice middle of the road soap for me.

My Cella is no more. Took 3.5 months shaving consistently 3x/week. I think all that needs to be said about Cella has been said. It's spectacular, and I'm actually going to miss loading my brush in that tiny little tube. There's something nice and different about it. My 3017 victims to date:

Mike's Natural: Bay Rum
RazoRocktober
Barrister & Mann Fougere Aromatique
Cella

Deciding what's next. Perhaps La Pere Lucien.

Haven't spent much time over here in the shaving arena lately, but figured I'd drop in here to say "Hello" and join in. I hadn't any desire to 3017 any product, but started the "1 Soap for 1 Month" deal and one thing led to another and well.... Here I am.

The soap that kicked things off was Fairway from Saint Charles Shave. That soap made me look at my soap collection differently as I really wanted to replace the Fairway as I liked it so much, but had a lot of soaps in my closet. The options were to get rid of a bunch of soaps (which I may still do) or 3017 some of them until my good conscience would let me replace the SCS Soap. I chose the latter and so my first 3017 was SCS Fairway (Inadvertently as I just enjoyed the soap that much). I'm in the process of 3017'ing some Tabac, which I've loved from the start. I could probably be happy with just Tabac and SCS Fairway in my rotation, although I have many others that will need to be dealt with including a very nice cream or two. At the rate I'm going I may never get to purchase another SCS Fairway as I figure I've got several years worth of soap stored away.

So if there are any rules or recommendations, then I'm all ears. Should I be cataloging the start and finish of each product as a bare minimum? Etc.?

Haven't spent much time over here in the shaving arena lately, but figured I'd drop in here to say "Hello" and join in. I hadn't any desire to 3017 any product, but started the "1 Soap for 1 Month" deal and one thing led to another and well.... Here I am.

The soap that kicked things off was Fairway from Saint Charles Shave. That soap made me look at my soap collection differently as I really wanted to replace the Fairway as I liked it so much, but had a lot of soaps in my closet. The options were to get rid of a bunch of soaps (which I may still do) or 3017 some of them until my good conscience would let me replace the SCS Soap. I chose the latter and so my first 3017 was SCS Fairway (Inadvertently as I just enjoyed the soap that much). I'm in the process of 3017'ing some Tabac, which I've loved from the start. I could probably be happy with just Tabac and SCS Fairway in my rotation, although I have many others that will need to be dealt with including a very nice cream or two. At the rate I'm going I may never get to purchase another SCS Fairway as I figure I've got several years worth of soap stored away.

So if there are any rules or recommendations, then I'm all ears. Should I be cataloging the start and finish of each product as a bare minimum? Etc.?

First, welcome to the club! err...movement...methodology...whatever...

There aren't any hard rules other than life is too short for crappy shaves. If a soap is not working for you then PIF it or demote it to body soap duty and then move on. I have years of soap stashed away. 3017 has allowed me to perfect my technique with a particular soap but also helped me reclaim some of my shelf space ;)

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Even if the soap isn't working for me, I will still see it through. I'm the same way with week-old leftovers in the fridge :bored:

Taking a few days break from the Cella. I just got the PannaCrema Nuavia pass around box. Tried the Blu tonight and wow! That's all for now. I'll be back on Cella this weekend.

After switching to la toja for a week and back to the Fendrihan soap: the LA Toja is much creamier and more protective.

I'm hoping to burn through it and move on. I have tabac on deck next.

Top Bottom