What's new

Tonic for G&T's

Fentiman's is my go-to. Relatively available, great quinine kick and not too snobby - and the bottles look amazing and old-timey.

I gave the artisan the tonic waters a try, I thought that Fever Tree was very good. However in the long run, I think that it isn't three fold better than my everyday favorite, Schwepps. The cost differential didn't make sense, plus I am able to buy Schwepps everywhere and Fever Tree I can only buy at Whole Foods (when it is in stock)

I am not a fan of Canada Dry, it has a slight aftertaste that I find cloying.

Last edited:
Fever tree is pretty good. Fentimans is good as well but very spendy in my neck of the woods (though I really like their Shandy). I like Hansens in the cans when I can find it (usually trader joes).

Generaly I find that I like Scweppes the best, for a $1-$2 1 qt bottle, the premium brands are not worth the premium price IMO. Though I do try them from time to time with various gins to see if the flavor combos are any better. Honestly haven't found anything to change my current opinion though.

I gave the artisan the tonic waters a try, I thought that Fever Tree was very good. However in the long run, I think that it isn't three fold better than my everyday favorite, Schwepps. The cost differential didn't make sense, plus I am able to buy Schwepps everywhere...
+1

Fever Tree is my favourite - either the Indian or Mediterranean. Here in Oz its not terribly expensive at about $2 a bottle.

I've been buying Capi from Dan Murphy's. I have no idea if its available elsewhere or if its white label for the chain. For $3 a 750ml bottle, its pretty good.

Has anyone had a good go at the syrup tonics? I see around but haven't tried any yest.

I have never thought to look at the label of tonic water before, but I was surprised to find that there's a lot of sugar/high-fructose corn syrup in it (at least the stuff I buy at the grocery store, probably Schweppes). I figured it was just fizzy water and quinine.

Seltzer water. Really allows the nuances of the specific gin to come through. I tend to find tonic water to cover the taste some.

Interesting. I must admit that, while I do enjoy specific gins (Hendrick's is my first choice), it never occurred to be choosy in my tonic. It makes sense though; with only two ingredients (three if you count the lime/cucumber) why wouldn't the tonic be important?

sleepy

Mostic tonic water has more high fructose corn syrup than coke/pepsi

I have never thought to look at the label of tonic water before, but I was surprised to find that there's a lot of sugar/high-fructose corn syrup in it (at least the stuff I buy at the grocery store, probably Schweppes). I figured it was just fizzy water and quinine.

Great suggestion. Then you can sprinkle in your own choice of bitters instead of the quinine. Some bitters have quinine in them if that's your preference.

Seltzer water. Really allows the nuances of the specific gin to come through. I tend to find tonic water to cover the taste some.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Schweppes

From "The Year of Living Dangerously"

• Oh, here are the drinks.
  • What's this? - Gin and tonic, sir.
  • Gin, tonic and ice. - Gin and tonic always with ice, sir.
  • Gin and tonic does not always have ice.
  • Americans always use ice.

Oy, diet Schweppes is borderline undrinkable for me. It's probably going down the drain.

I think I'll use seltzer water or something like Fever Tree next time. I do like the taste of quinine, just don't care for that much sugar. Actually, mixing in my own bitters sounds like it might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion gents!

Mostic tonic water has more high fructose corn syrup than coke/pepsi

I have to be very specific in the tonic I choose. I have a corn allergy so corn syrup is a no for me. Sadly this leaves me only the diets. Does anyone know a good corn syrup free tonic out there?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Just use seltzer and add some simple syrup or even raw sugar.

You'll still need the quinine bitterness. I haven't the slightest idea if some sort of quinine concentrate is available or how to add it.

In any case, it looks like OP has some options already out there. Fever Tree is pretty good stuff, if a little pricey (but I would expect to pay more).

Frankly, I'd quit drinking tonic water if I had to drink diet tonic water. I haven't found one, yet, that wasn't awful.

Top Bottom