What's new

Bourbon drinker looking to try scotch

I have fairly recently gotten to really enjoy bourbon, and have tried a few pretty good ones such as Woodford and buffalo trace. After talking to my brother over the weekend he has really gotten me to want to try a scotch, saying that they are much better. He had however said to try something not too peaty because it would likely turn me off to it. He'd suggested maybe try dewars, isle of sky, or Johnny walker. Just thought I'd see if any scotch drinkers here have some good suggestions in the 20 to 30 range. Thank you

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm relatively experienced Bourbon drinker and deciding to try to get into scotch after my dad bought me a sampler of some fine scotches. From a beginners point of view, I would say pick up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12. Its one of the better bargains for a single malt out there. Its also not peaty and while there's nothing special about it. It's smooth and sweet(much like bourbon). It should cost you about $25-35 dollars for a bottle.

Other suggestions Glenmorangie 10 a little more expensive than Glenlivet but better. Its a crisp/clean, sweet Speyside. Iv'e heard its the most popular single malt in Scotland(but not as well known across the world).

Macallan 12 would be another good one to check out. Its aged in sherry casks and very easy to drink for a beginner in my opinion.

Last edited:
I like single malts that I have tried, but my recommendation for a new scotch drinker is to look to the better blends, such as Johnny Walker Black, Dewars 12 year old. The Glenlivit 12, recommended above, is also a good starting point.

You could try a flight at one of the better watering holes in your area.

Good Luck and report back.

Johnie Walker black is pretty good, I think one of the best reasonably priced blends. It's much better than Dewars to me. For a single malt my favorite is Dalwhinnie. Pretty light with a hint of lemon and a mellow peatyness but very very smooth. It's more expensive ($50-$60 range) though, but pretty modest compared to what some bottles go for!

Don't listen to him and drink every peaty Islay scotch you can get your hands on!

Grand Old Parr is a decent budget scotch--sipping on some as I type!

Isle of Jura "Origin". Sweet, fruity and very smooth. A great starter Scotch imo. Very reasonably priced too.

Scotches -- even the "mild" ones are still a majorly different taste than bourbon. That's not bad, of course, but they can be a shock to the tastebuds if all you've had is bourbons.
A good stepping stone is Irish Whisky -- they have some of the characteristics of scotch, while still having some of the familiar whiskey flavors you're comfortable with from American whiskies.
I personally recommend Bushmill's Black ("Black Bush").

Dare I say the perfect bourbon to scotch transition -- "Grangestone Bourbon Cask Finish" $26 at Total Wine. Single malt from the Highlands finished in bourbon casks. Grangestone is a new discovery for me, but I have not been disappointed yet. That said, JW Double Black is one of the best blended scotch out there. YMMV.

I routinely drink scotch/bourbon with my father-in-law (he buys lots, I can't swing it right now). We usually fall into 6-12 months of drinking just bourbons, then switch the scotches, then back, and so on. The transition is always fun, it's like getting back into something you love after a while off.

For scotches, I like Glenlivet, McCallan, and Glenmorangie. You can't really go wrong with the different ages, and the 10's and 12's are much more affordable. The Glenmorangie that they age in port casks is one of my favorites, it has a definite strong flavor. I like some peat flavor, but if you want an in-your-face smoky peatness, Ardbeg is your scotch. It's a bit much for both him and I. He won't touch the bottle, and I only have a glass once every 6 months or so. It's become a tradition now that every year, on SuperBowl Sunday, we get out the Ardbeg from the back of the cabinet, and I have a glass. We've been working on that bottle for years.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that Irish whiskey is a good way to move into scotch. They tend to be a little milder shock to the system when coming from bourbon. That's not to say that they aren't nice whiskeys, mind you. Black Bush is mighty nice, but I'm also often happy with some Jameson's.

Johnny Walker Black also is a nice value and a nice drink. I always keep some around for someone who just wants "a scotch," and I'm happy to drink it when I'm not looking for anything in particular (or I'm just feeling frugal and don't want to drink something more expensive). I also agree that Glenlivet 12 is a fine scotch at a fine price, and that's what I keep around for someone who just wants "a single malt." :001_smile

You're going to have a hard time going wrong with trying anything, so long as you keep in mind that it will be different. A tiny nip of anything will get you further along than you are, whether you are set to appreciate it or not. Have fun, and enjoy!

Scotches -- even the "mild" ones are still a majorly different taste than bourbon. That's not bad, of course, but they can be a shock to the tastebuds if all you've had is bourbons.
A good stepping stone is Irish Whisky -- they have some of the characteristics of scotch, while still having some of the familiar whiskey flavors you're comfortable with from American whiskies.
I personally recommend Bushmill's Black ("Black Bush").
I've actually heard a lot of good things about bushmills black. Maybe this is a perfect opportunity...

I tried Black Bush and liked it, but you cannot learn to swim in the ocean by stepping into a pond. If you want to explore scotch, drink scotch.

You're not going to know what you like without experimenting, unfortunately. A few bottles into the sport and you'll finally have an idea for what your niche is - or, maybe you'll like them all (or none).

Scotches, unlike bourbons, are drastically different. Some are light and sweet, some are a bit fruity, some are powerfully smoky, and some are heavy and earthy. My suggestion would be to try something from each of those categories and decide which you liked the most. See if you can order each in a bar if you want to save the cost of buying an entire bottle that you may not like.

Here are my first-time suggestions:
Lighter and sweet: Glenlivet 12 or Dalwhinnie 15
Fruity: Macallan 12 Sherry or Aberlour 12
Smoky: Lagavulin 12, Lagavulin 16, Talisker 10, Johnnie Walker Double Black (blend)
Earthy: Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Black Bottle (blend)
Balanced: Highland Park 12, Chivas Regal 12 (blend)

There are, of course, many MANY different scotches that fall into those categories, but those are my picks for being relatively easy to find, relatively inexpensive, and fairly inoffensive for someone getting into scotch.

Also, keep an eye out around Christmas time, its the best time to pick up the gift packs that come with the etched glasses. I think my wife is getting annoyed at how many of those we ended up with.

Just stopped by the liquor store and picked up chivas 12 and was recommended glenfiddich 12 by the lady. Told her it was my first try so she said to try the glenfiddich first. Pretty excited to try it later tonight.

Got to try the glenfiddich last night. Wow. Was not expecting it to taste that good. Pretty lousy with tastes, but will try to give a simple review. The nose of it was pretty sweet smelling, smelled a bit fruity. On first taste, wow, it was really sweet tasting. Was also able to taste the smoke once the sweetness calmed down. On the second try I can definitely pick up the fruit and burnt sugar tasting, but then the smoke rushes right in behind it(I take this as being the peat taste). Seemed to finish and linger with the smoke taste. Nice warming feeling at the end. I had no problem at all finishing up my glass. Really good stuff and makes me pretty interested to try the chivas some time!

Top Bottom