What's new

Post your Butterscotch Eye Candy Here!

I don't know the model name for the brush you have inherited and whether or not it is "worth it" to restore is purely up to you. The original knot was likely 18mm x 45-50mm and could easily be replicated using a TGN Silvertip A or Shavemac Finest depending on your financial situation and preferences. A two band TGN Finest knot would be less expensive and would provide a very nice face feel. If you are wondering if it will increase in value by restoring beyond the cost of the restoration, that is doubtful. If you are looking to make money on the brush just throw it up on eBay or the Marketplace here as is and let somebody else appreciate the depreciation. :thumbup1:

Thanks, blxrfn (how do you pronounce your handle?)
I'll look into those knots. What do you think o fthe knots from Whipped Dog?

As to selling it -- not a chance. It's handed down from my Father-In-Law (RIP). SWMBO would never let me sell it.

Thanks, blxrfn (how do you pronounce your handle?)
I'll look into those knots. What do you think o fthe knots from Whipped Dog?

As to selling it -- not a chance. It's handed down from my Father-In-Law (RIP). SWMBO would never let me sell it.

My user name is blzrfn, as in Blazer Fan as, in Portland Trail Blazers' custom vanity license plates that never were.

The Whipped Dog knots aren't as dense and are more likely to shed so if you go that route I would highly recommend not using epoxy to set it as it would be much more difficult to remove and replace.

My user name is blzrfn, as in Blazer Fan as, in Portland Trail Blazers' custom vanity license plates that never were.

The Whipped Dog knots aren't as dense and are more likely to shed so if you go that route I would highly recommend not using epoxy to set it as it would be much more difficult to remove and replace.
Thanks for that info.
I guess it's The Golden Nib, then. I could get the knot from them and then send it all to Rudy Vey, if he'd be open to doing the work. (there's no way I'd try it -- ten thumbs!)

Old Simpson butterscotch likely a very early custom from the 40s

proxy.php

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Thanks for that info.
I guess it's The Golden Nib, then. I could get the knot from them and then send it all to Rudy Vey, if he'd be open to doing the work. (there's no way I'd try it -- ten thumbs!)
If you're set on having Rudy do it, you could contact him and see if he has a TGN knot you would like

If you're set on having Rudy do it, you could contact him and see if he has a TGN knot you would like

It's not that I'm "set on" any particular option. I've never had a brush re-knotted before so I'm gathering information. I will be sending an email (with a picture) to Vulfix/Simpson to (a) help ID it, (b) get its original specs, and (c) see what it would cost to have them do the restore.

I also have to watch the cash flow. My RAD has been running wild and SWMBO had a "discussion" with me about the PayPal over the last couple of months.

Mark probably won't be able to help you identify the brush or give you any information on it as it was manufactured long before Progress Vulfix purchased the company. The cost of restoring your brush will likely cause you to do a double-take but if you want it to be as original as possible, that is probably the way to go.

Mark probably won't be able to help you identify the brush or give you any information on it as it was manufactured long before Progress Vulfix purchased the company. The cost of restoring your brush will likely cause you to do a double-take but if you want it to be as original as possible, that is probably the way to go.
I did contact Mark and you were right on both counts ...

He cannot identify it other than his educated guess that it "it’s a 60’s or 70’s piece though, from the Nimmer Mill (Somerset) timeline".

He also said a re-knot by them would set me back by about $114.00 Canadian at today's rate of exchange (I politely declined; at least for now).

He confirmed an earlier post above about the loft, suggesting "around 48-50mm to achieve your sweet spot".

He also said that they are unable to re-touch the lampblack lettering due to health regulations.

Follow-up to post #1421 about the damaged Simpson brush:
I shipped it to Rudy Vey and he did a smashing job!

Here it is, BR ("Before Rudy"):

and here it is AR ("After Rudy"):

He equipped it with a 21mm Shavemac Finest fan-shaped knot. I'm going to use it for today's SOTD.

Rudy: Thank You. You did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just got this vintage Century Butterscotch handle with pure badger hair. The handle is genuine BakeLite. The dimensions are"

Handle: 50 mm
Knot: 14 mm
Loft: 40 mm
Height: 90 mm

It is a very small brush, almost as small as the Simpsons Wee Scot.

$brush1.jpg

$brush2.jpg

$brush3.jpg

My Dark Holler Butterscotch Paladin brush arrived yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

• $paladin-005.jpg
    $paladin-005.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 247
  • $paladin-006.jpg
    $paladin-006.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 245
newly arrived today. no clue what is. it looks to be from simpson, but there are no legible markings anywhere.

$IMG_1427.jpg

It is big and heavy.
$IMG_1428.jpg
anyone care to venture a guess as to what I have here???

for size comparison, a vintage simpson AS3M, modern Duke 3 and vintage 57.
$IMG_1431.jpg

Top Bottom