What's new

First Post, many questions

N

noid182

Thank you all!
I've gottens some great general wetshaving info here over the last few months, and now I'm taking a trip into DE land
I recently acquired a Gillette DE, about which I know nothing.
It has 9 numbered settings for blade exposure. The top butterflies open by rotating the bottom of the handle. To me, this implement appears to be closer to 50 years old than 100
From what I read here, the more space between the safety bar and the blade, the more 'agressive' the edge.
I've picked up the local rite-aid brand blades and am looking to give this baby a run.
My prefered wet shaving implement has been the str8 for the last couple rounds of being clean shaven.

Should I start out with a more agressive setting on the DE?
Or might I be satisfied with a 2 or a 3 on a scale of 9?

noid182 said:
Thank you all!
I've gottens some great general wetshaving info here over the last few months, and now I'm taking a trip into DE land
I recently acquired a Gillette DE, about which I know nothing.
It has 9 numbered settings for blade exposure. The top butterflies open by rotating the bottom of the handle. To me, this implement appears to be closer to 50 years old than 100
From what I read here, the more space between the safety bar and the blade, the more 'agressive' the edge.
I've picked up the local rite-aid brand blades and am looking to give this baby a run.
My prefered wet shaving implement has been the str8 for the last couple rounds of being clean shaven.

Should I start out with a more agressive setting on the DE?
Or might I be satisfied with a 2 or a 3 on a scale of 9?

Noid182:

2 or 3 on the Gillette is a pretty tame setting but I would give a shot there and see how it works for you. My beard isn't particularly heavy and I use mine betwee 5 and 7 most of the time. Start low, you can always dial up. You'll be able to tell quickly if you're getting a good shave or not but you want to hone your technique first.

I would read some of the old threads and pick up some tips on using the double edge. Keys are maintaining around a 30 degree angle and don't apply pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work.

Let us know how it works out for you and welcome to the forum!

Jerry

As you'll find out, a lot of great info will be given to you here. It's helped me a lot. Start with a low # such as 3 or 4. Let the weight of the head do the work for you. That has been the hardest part for me after coming into this from other razors. Finally I'm getting pretty much to where it's all becoming very natural and relaxing. Keep at it, it does come

Oops :blush: I didn't see the date. I was scrolling through the posts and saw this. I feel stupid. Try to notice these things in the future.

Don't feel stupid at all. Cyber time is hard to keep track of.
I'm more amazed that some told a noob to start at 9!!:w00t:

Don't feel stupid at all. Cyber time is hard to keep track of.
I'm more amazed that some told a noob to start at 9!!:w00t:

Thanks. Really was just hoping to encourage that person. Now I feel like an idiot.

But, I did have the same thought you did about starting on #9. Didn't want that poor fellow to rip his face off.

Thanks. Really was just hoping to encourage that person. Now I feel like an idiot.

But, I did have the same thought you did about starting on #9..

Don't be hard on yourself. I called a Milord a Milford and the guys here razzed me for 3 pages!!!

Didn't want that poor fellow to rip his face off
Maybe this is why he didn't check back in!!

Top Bottom